Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #16
Site Supporter

An ND filter can, in fact, compensate for the shutter speed (the difference between 1/180 and 1/250 is only a half stop after all) so long as you have a flash with sufficient power.

You can even turn day into night using a single speedlight and an ND filter:

Setup shot:

Nevertheless, I agree a sync speed of 1/250 would be nice to have.

12-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dario79 Quote
1/250 sync is standard today and I see no reason why Pentax should not adress that matter.
1/3 stop...that is the difference. Which of the other brands will give you 200,000 cycles from the shutter.

Steve
12-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I don't know what some of you are smoking ?

Your saying the shutter cant handle 1/180 or higher ? , really ? Think about it , think real hard ...
What the parking lot does it matter what the shutter speed is ? Really , what is the max standard shutter speed , 1/6000 or something ..
So what some of you are saying is at that speed the shutter should be destroying itself ?

All the camera does is send a signal to the flash to fire , the limitation is set by Ricoh not to fire beyond 1/180 , again another software driven function ..
So it seems not only does one need to get through to Ricoh , but a lot of users as well ...

So if you shoot a Pentax with a shutter speed over 1/180 you are severely shortening the shutters life . WOW that's a bold statement !
Perhaps a little like saying , if you drive your car at 50MPH it will die much faster than if you drive it at 55MPH because of the speed difference ?
I mean , I don't think I can put up with this BS ...

Wow , perhaps Ricoh should stop building SLR's , especially if they are as bad as some of you claim !
12-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well updating the battery of the K-3 would be great. Backward compatible ofcourse and put in some extra juice (maybe 50 % when possible). New camera's take more energy.

On the K-50, well maybe putting two battery's in the box for the next model would be the cheapest way to solve the problem.

On the sync time. Whatever it takes to go from 1/180 to 1/200th is not worth the trouble. Would be great to go to 1/320th.

12-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I have a K-5 and K10D. Both have grips with an extra battery. I am satisfied with the number of shots that I get out of both cameras. Some may feel that carrying a grip and an extra battery around on each body makes it too heavy. I'm a fairly big guy, haven't noticed.

As far as flash speed goes...I'm ok with where it is.

Will there be DSLR's, will there be Pentax, Canon, Nikon, etc. I dunno.

I recently checked out some excellent photos from phone cameras. They were in Popular Photography online.

All I can say is wow. That wow extends to clarity, in focus, resolution.

If phone cameras keep on improving and I see no reason why they wouldn't....I think in 5-10 years , who knows, maybe even old guys like me, who has had SLR/DSLR equipment for nigh on 50 years...we may not need our DSLR...or our 4/3...or non mirror cameras.

I think photography, the equipment and the retail outlets that sell them...are undergoing huge change and that this change is only ...now...at the beginning.

I think it will affect all current advanced cameras, including the stuff from Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and Canon, Nikon, Pentax and etc.
12-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
I had a K7 and I have a K5 ...
180 to 200 sync , you would notice it shooting Macro ..
I think this is pretty unimportant, Old4570.

The Fuji XT1 and Sony A7R are both modern cameras and have 1/180s flash sync speeds.

The mighty Canon 5D MkIII is only 1/200 as well.

They're not problems because you can always put on ND filters in bright conditions or use HSS flash, which is perfectly suited to your macro photography, since the drop in range is irrelevant.
12-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know what some of you are smoking ?

Your saying the shutter cant handle 1/180 or higher ?
I don't smoke and your comment indicates that you don't know how your focal plane shutter works or what sync means with that type shutter.

Ignorance is excusable.
Rudeness, OTOH, is simply rude.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-11-2014 at 12:22 PM.
12-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #23

I hope I win the Pentax FA 31mm Limited. I really need it...

12-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AristoArt Quote
I hope I win the Pentax FA 31mm Limited. I really need it...
I think you should win some kind of an award for a completely irrelevant post, but it shouldn't be an FA 31.
12-12-2014, 06:17 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Actually, it would far easier for RICOH if they just ignored you and let you move to Nikon..
Amen!

---------- Post added 12-12-2014 at 09:33 PM ----------

Would a dSLR become drastically cheaper if it had no video, no Liveview, no scene modes or any of those color adjustment tools, with only one autofocus point at center and worked only in manual mode? Take away the built-in flash even if you have to but keep the lightmeter and the hotshoe please. Just dumb it down to aperture, shutter, ISO and white balance control for a digital version of the Spotmatic.
12-12-2014, 06:39 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I'd prefer TTL support first, but higher sync speeds would be nice, too.
I agree with this but it's pretty unimportant to me.

No problems or change requests with SD card here.

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Are you advocating a battery grip built into every model, or simply the provision for an OPTIONAL
battery grip for every model? Wouldn't it be a whole lot simpler to have a couple extra charged
batteries in the bag than to add all the bulk? Personally, I don't like the bulk that the grip adds to
the camera and imagine I will rarely, if ever, use the grip that came with my K-3 no matter the
convenience.
Again, I agree with this. I have always some charged batteries in my bag with me but I never used them. I'm shooting mainly without flash and
I'm using manual focus. Maybe that's why my battery lasts so long.

Menu? What's that thing? LoL I enter the menu only when I need to format my card. And I also remember there is some screen asking me about focal length when I'm changing my lens.
12-16-2014, 02:16 AM   #27

Dear Ricoh:

Please update firmware for all models to enable back AF button to wake from sleep.

Please make new 120-400 lens have DC motor and WR and very good sharpness at full zoom. (And compatible with TC).

Please make AA battery holder for K5 series that fits in battery compartment so don't need grip to use AAs

Thank you.
12-16-2014, 03:02 AM   #28

Can we have a slightly faster flash sync speed PLEASE ! 1/200 would be nice , its a small step I know , but more PLEASE !
I think for most users, a step-up to 1/200 or 1/250 isn't going to be that significant. Proper high speed synch is another matter and would be great.

QuoteQuote:
SD Card , please , please leave a little more room to get the card out ( Like the K10 K20 would be nice )
Not sure which model you have, but on the K-3 it's absolutely fine getting the card out. (On my baby Q7 it's a little fiddly, but I find that an acceptable compromise given the size of the beast).

QuoteQuote:
How about a simplified menu for beginners , a standard menu for most , and a advanced menu for those that need to tweak everything ?
Pentax already have IMHO better ergonomics and menus than Canon or Sony, and waaay better than Nikon. I think it would get in the way of people's learning if you simplified it too much (aka, 'dumbed it down').

QuoteQuote:
Much easier if you guys made a camera I could love more than my K10 or K20 or K5 or K50
They did. It's called the K-3. =)

---------- Post added 12-16-14 at 10:21 AM ----------

Your saying the shutter cant handle 1/180 or higher ? , really ? Think about it , think real hard ...
What the parking lot does it matter what the shutter speed is ? Really , what is the max standard shutter speed , 1/6000 or something ..
So what some of you are saying is at that speed the shutter should be destroying itself ?

So if you shoot a Pentax with a shutter speed over 1/180 you are severely shortening the shutters life . WOW that's a bold statement !
Not at all. The maximum synch speed is typically the fastest speed at which there is a moment the entire shutter is open at once, and therefore there is a moment at which one burst of flash can illuminate the entire scene.

At higher shutter speeds, the shutter is starting to close while it is still opening. There are two 'curtains' that operate the shutter. One moves across to open it, then the other follows it to close the opening. At high speeds, the whole shutter is not open at once - instead a 'slot' moves across. In fact, one side of the image is photographed a moment before the other side.

If you fire a flash at these high speeds, then not all of the frame gets to see the moment when the flash fires, so only part of the image would be illuminated by the flash.

It's possible to get round this and achieve higher synch speeds by either:
1) Having an electronic 'shutter', so you don't have moving curtains only exposing part of the image
or
2) Having a 'burst' of flash that is therefore firing for the entire time that the open 'slot' is moving across the frame.

Last edited by NeilGratton; 12-16-2014 at 03:26 AM.
12-16-2014, 05:19 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster

I agree to dis agree .. With most of you ..

You don't want Pentax Cameras improved ? That's fine , Im sure Ricoh is not going to bear the cost of a product that's not going to sell or compete
If your saying I chose the wrong Maker , you may also be right . I quite possibly should have chosen the superior Brand .
This is the problem in not knowing what you need or want till you get to the point where you are pushing your gear to the limits ...
And then you realise the truth as many of you have pointed out ! If you want a serious camera , don't buy Pentax .
Its too late for me , but for anyone reading this and who has not as yet chosen a Brand , and you plan on being just a little bit serious ..

If Ricoh is going to continue the product line , then why not make it better ?
I can understand that if Ricoh is planning on ending production of Digital SLR cameras in the near future , why bother trying to compete !
Just give the punters something they can live with . And if they are happy , then fantastic .

But there is the RUB ! SLR sales are down , consumers are not happy ! And Pentax is no where near being the No1 brand , so is near enough good enough ? ( I say no )
If Ricoh plans on being in the Digital SLR business for any length of time , they need to rise to the occasion and offer a product that is all it can be , and maybe a little bit more .

But hey , lots of things have come and gone .. Phillips TV's are gone .. As are many other brand names ..
I just wonder how long Pentax will be with us , especially if no one wants it improved , made better , or more functional .

A bit like that old 3 speed Automatic Power Wagon from the 70's that gave 15 miles to the gallon ...
Sure @ 50 miles an hour it cruises real nice , gets you from A to B ..

But would you be happy buying one today NIB for say $30,000 if a factory was set up to build them ?
Or would you want a 6 speed Auto 200HP+ that does 50MPG , has Anti lock breaks , cruise control , power windows , climate control , heated seats for winter , Stereo CD with MP3 12 speaker surround sound , GPS , and the other stuff that is put in modern cars ? for say that same $30,000 ..

Car makers are happy to sell you rubbish if you don't want anything better ...
Im not saying Pentax is rubbish , but why would they make something much better if no one asks for it or expects it ..

Oh , try removing a SD card from a K50 ...
12-16-2014, 05:31 AM   #30

This is the problem in not knowing what you need or want till you get to the point where you are pushing your gear to the limits ...
And then you realise the truth as many of you have pointed out ! If you want a serious camera , don't buy Pentax .
Its too late for me , but for anyone reading this and who has not as yet chosen a Brand , and you plan on being just a little bit serious ..
The K-3 may well be the best crop-sensor body you can get - bar none. At its price point, it's certainly the best. There's also a great lens selection in K mount.

I've just bought mine within the last week ... but believe it's worth the effort of switching from the Canon system to do so (two DSLR bodies, multiple lenses - now listed on eBay).

I haven't handled all of the Pentax bodies, though I realise the K-5 IIs is not as ergonomic as the K-3. But Ricoh clearly are innovating, because the K-3 is a huge improvement. I'm sure replacement versions of the mid-range bodies will incorporate many of these improvements in layout etc.