Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 04:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Open letter to Ricoh

1st / Long time fan .. Ricoh cameras ! ( Yes also Pentax )
2nd / Please :

Can we have a slightly faster flash sync speed PLEASE ! 1/200 would be nice , its a small step I know , but more PLEASE !
SD Card , please , please leave a little more room to get the card out ( Like the K10 K20 would be nice )
Battery Grips = Please Please , allow users to grip all future models .. Why ?
Because those tinny little batteries blow chunks !
Please , a minimum of 1000 shots per charge .. Or grip all models .. One or the other please , both would be fantastic !
A menu for everyone :
How about a simplified menu for beginners , a standard menu for most , and a advanced menu for those that need to tweak everything ?

Please Ricoh !
I have too much Pentax gear to switch over to Nikon or Canon , it would be too painful a process ..
Much easier if you guys made a camera I could love more than my K10 or K20 or K5 or K50

12-10-2014, 04:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Actually, it would far easier for RICOH if they just ignored you and let you move to Nikon..
12-10-2014, 04:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmmm interesting !

So your advice is not to buy Pentax/Ricoh ...
Or is your advice to Ricoh , for them not to improve their product ?

---------- Post added 12-10-14 at 11:06 PM ----------

Market for DSLRs shrinking dramatically and why Canon / Nikon are to blame - EOSHD

A nice article ! I think it covers most SLR camera manufacturers ...
Im not sure what the future holds , but I dare say the next 5 years will set the trend for the future ...
SLR sales have dropped every month of 2014 ..
Ignoring what consumers want is a great way to put an end to a company , or a product line .
12-10-2014, 05:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
Can we have a slightly faster flash sync speed PLEASE ! 1/200 would be nice , its a small step I know , but more PLEASE !
SD Card , please , please leave a little more room to get the card out ( Like the K10 K20 would be nice )
Battery Grips = Please Please , allow users to grip all future models .. Why ?
Because those tinny little batteries blow chunks !
Please , a minimum of 1000 shots per charge .. Or grip all models .. One or the other please , both would be fantastic !
A menu for everyone :
How about a simplified menu for beginners , a standard menu for most , and a advanced menu for those that need to tweak everything ?
I'd prefer TTL support first, but higher sync speeds would be nice, too.

I don't have a problem with the SD card slots on the K-3 myself, but seems a reasonable request.

Are you advocating a battery grip built into every model, or simply the provision for an OPTIONAL
battery grip for every model? Wouldn't it be a whole lot simpler to have a couple extra charged
batteries in the bag than to add all the bulk? Personally, I don't like the bulk that the grip adds to
the camera and imagine I will rarely, if ever, use the grip that came with my K-3 no matter the
convenience.

Your menu idea is an interesting one. They kind of/sort of have already done something like that
by putting all the 'custom' options to the end of the menu. All of those items could easily have
been leafed among the capture and playback menus. Not to say it couldn't be less daunting
somehow, but I guess I see the mess of the menu more a reflection of advance in capability
than anything else. Better still, they could invest in a crackerjack staff of technical writers and
start selling cameras with the best manuals in the business, on par with the best third party
'how to use your camera' books. Now THAT would be cool!

12-10-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Optional on all SLR models would be sweet ...
The battery in the K50 is small , same battery in the K30 ( just purchased ) ..
The option to grip a K50 or K30 would be fantastic , but the boat has sailed on that one ..
I own a Nikon D3200 ( Great camera ) , and the small battery bites way hard , which is why I gripped it , also needed to run hacked firmware ...
I can run flash sync speed on the D3200 all the way to 1/250 , any higher and I get shutter blocking .. So I don't see why 1/200 is not doable .. Maybe just a firmware update could do it ?
Another thing I forgot about = More shutter speed options or steps .. I would love a 1/20 stepping as Macro can be very demanding for what works or does not .. So being able to play in 1/20 steps would be insanely useful .
Either in the odds or evens as an option as well .. ( Guess that would be 1/10 step overall )
It would be so crazy fantastic to have a enthusiast level camera , that just did it . And the crazy thing is , it would not be that hard to make the camera more functional , especially for shutter speed and flash sync speed as these are most likely software controlled rather than being mechanical limitations ..
So why not make the camera , MORE ! This is after all the digital age , why these outdated limitations ? ( I just don't understand )
And the same goes for ISO , another software controlled function , I would love to dial in an ISO of 150 every now and again , and why not ? Its not a mechanical limitation ..
It used to be , because you were stuck with film speed . But in the digital age ? What is going on , there is no such limitation !

I would love to see a advanced menu , where you could redefine the functions ( Shutter , ISO , Flash sync ) to what the user wants rather than what the manufacturer thinks is good enough !
This is very limited thinking , if not backward thinking for 2014 . I want to see a digital camera that represents current technology , not what was on offer 50 or more years ago ..
I want a camera that will meet my needs , and possibly future needs . It needs to be customizable ( Software functions ) , I want todays technology ! Heck even technology from a few years ago , and I want the horse and buggy thinking updated to 2014/5 .. This is the 21st Century after all ,

Digital cameras don't need to be limited to 35mm Functionality ! ( So why do it ? ) Maybe this is why sales are dropping ?
Sure they are digital , but with 35mm functionality ? Maybe tech savvy consumers want to see more ?
I don't think a SLR needs to accept incoming phone calls , but I think they fall way way short of their true capabilities , image sensor aside .

Last edited by old4570; 12-10-2014 at 06:26 AM.
12-10-2014, 06:23 AM   #6
Forum Member

I've never used a k50 or k30, but the battery on the k7 and k5iis usually last me at least 1000 shots per wedding. Last wedding I shot 2400 DNG's (guestimate) but only went through 2 batteries. No grip required.

A 180 to 200 sync would be too minimal to notice... Dragging the shutter usually freezes the action more than a 1/20th shutter change anyway.
The menus are perfect.. no need to change.
My thoughts.

Edit - Your mentioning of the in between iso numbers. Just remembered, In TAV mode, it automatically uses in between stops. I think you can use one of the menus to enable them as well, but unfortunately I can't recall which setting that was under.
12-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had a K7 and I have a K5 ...
180 to 200 sync , you would notice it shooting Macro ..
Many a times I could have used an extra 1/20th
Or more ISO options Between 100 and 400 ..
100 - 200 - 400 is very course ..
As are the shutter speed options , way huge for Macro ..
A lot of the time being able to make smaller corrections to settings would be a huge bonus ..

Again these are software driven functions , so the limitation is simply what is on offer ..
There is no reason for it that I can think of , except that is what has been for so long , so why change it ?
Well , you change it because you can , you change it to make your product more functional , you change it because its relatively easy to do .
You change it to make your camera more desirable to own by enthusiasts , more desirable to tech savvy consumers .
And the fantastic thing is , you can have your cake and eat it ..
By that I mean , because its software driven , it can be the old limited way , or it can be what ever the user defines it to be ...
You can please all of the people , some of the time , if you wanted to !

That is the great thing about software driven devices , and Nikon has enough tech savvy followers who are modifying Nikon firmware to make the cameras more functional ..
To make the cameras do what the consumers want rather than just what Nikon wants consumers to have ..
Hence perhaps the ability to run a flash beyond 1/250 on my hacked D3200 ...
Its a simple mod , the flash fires in manual mode at any shutter speed , it does the shutter no harm , but you may suffer shutter blocking ( Shutter blocks light ) ...

And shutter speed again is a software driven function ( Me thinks ) rather than a mechanical function .. So it could be anything at all .. It simply needs to be defined !
So the software mod would be the steps available , ATM that's 1/3 or 1/2 me thinks ..
So why not a 1/10th option , or a 1/5th option , its should be as simple as writing it into the software .. A few extra lines of code ..
So when designing a camera , why on earth replicate 35mm Functionality ?

People need to put horse and buggy thinking behind them ..
We are digital now , the only limitations are the ones we give our selves , in this case what the manufacturers give us ..

We are about to hit 2015 , the world didn't end yet , so perhaps some one needs to design outside the box a little , a little more than what we have seen so far .

12-10-2014, 07:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

That list has things I wouldn't prioritize. Other than the fact I do get 1000+ per battery, I think reserving some features like an optional grip for higher end models is appropriate. It helps keep the price low for lower end models, and for those that need/want more features, they can upgrade. I don't think we need simplified menus for beginners -- we need better documentation. None of this: "XYZ switch: The XYZ switch turns the XYZ function on or off."

My list of upgrades would include built-in GPS (high end) and Bt 4LE integration with smartphones (all models), better manuals and a K-mount FF mirrorless "enthusiast" camera.
12-10-2014, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Let's see as a K5 owner you should know with the K5 series: One can use ISO 80 which will give the equivalent of 1/200 sync. The batteries last close to or more than 940. The SD card pops out and isn't too bad IMO. Using the info button is a simplified menu so how much more simplified do you want? The full menu gives you either medium or advanced. The K5 series & K3 simplifies with button selections without needing to go to the menu over your K50/K30 and other cameras. Ricoh has provided most of what your asking for It's up to you to select and use a model that serves your purpose the most, if you failed to do that then what more do you expect. You cannot expect any camera Mfg to provide the same features in all model dslr's or they would wind up like Olympus with one ovf dslr model left and that's still lacking to some of their users.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 12-10-2014 at 08:14 AM.
12-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
I have too much Pentax gear to switch over to Nikon or Canon , it would be too painful a process ..
I saw nothing on your list that is particularly compelling except maybe the SD card removal item. I am with Steve (the other) above. Perhaps you should buy a camera that has those features.

Steve

---------- Post added 12-10-14 at 07:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The higher sync speed is absolutely not a function of software only.
This is correct. The sync speed is a function of how fast the shutter blades traverse the frame opening. There may be some room for tweaks, but the shutters are made by Copal and are designed for durability as well as high performance. Depending on the shutter spec, you may be able to get a little higher (say 1/250), but it will come at the price of durability and battery life.

The idea that anything can be cured or changed in firmware is quaint.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-10-2014 at 08:48 AM.
12-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Sorry, I am in agreement with some of the folks who commented on this... None of the requests/features mentioned here appeals to me as an advanced user, while you may have a specific requirement (which is fine). You will likely find it in other brands to meet your needs, besides, don't think Ricoh/Pentax would be interested in implementing "me-too" features in future models.
12-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Get another battery ! WTF if you ever had to change a roll of 120 film in the cold you would not be complaining about +- a few HUNDRED shots.
Try 5 min Vs 10 seconds. and for another 12 pics.
12-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Get another battery ! WTF if you ever had to change a roll of 120 film in the cold you would not be complaining about +- a few HUNDRED shots.
Try 5 min Vs 10 seconds. and for another 12 pics.
Haha... been there, done that and don't want to do again ever!!
12-10-2014, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #14

I think most of you are to defensive about old4570 IMHO justified remarks. 1/250 sync is standard today and I see no reason why Pentax should not adress that matter. ISO 80 or ND filters reduce flash expousure allso so they can not make up for higher shutter sync. I came from Canon (7d) 2 years ago and they allow flash to fire even above max sync speed. On 1/320 you get little bit of curtain but if you compose carefuly you can crop and get great image. I don't understand why Pentax just don't allow flash to fire above 1/180 no matter if curtain is in the frame. That CAN be done via firmware. Don't get me wrong-I love handeling of my k5,dynamic range,IBIS,WR and all the joys this sistem is giving me but there are some matters Pentax should address to be compatitive. We as users should be the first to push company to the max and make them deliver best they can. Our job is not to defend them or praise them. Product should do that-not us. 645z is not praised because of Pentax/Ricoh fans,photographic history or looks. It's praised because it is one of the most capable mf cameras today. But even 645z is critisized for low sync speed.
12-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

An ND filter can, in fact, compensate for the shutter speed (the difference between 1/180 and 1/250 is only a half stop after all) so long as you have a flash with sufficient power.

You can even turn day into night using a single speedlight and an ND filter:

Setup shot:

Nevertheless, I agree a sync speed of 1/250 would be nice to have.