Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 04:21 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,431
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Well, one issue for me is paying the same price for a lens that only goes to 2.4. With the crop sensor bodies I like to have as much DOF to play with and limit as possible. The other thing is that the Nikon has a built in motor and focuses fast even in low light. My Pentax isn't quite as good. Still, the image stabilization is quite nice, so in some cases I'd actually prefer the Pentax, especially where light is low and the subject is static, like a museum.
Have you thought about the Sigma 30mm f1.4? The newer art version seems to be pretty good and it would be faster.

From what I can see, the DA 35 f2.4 is about fifty dollars cheaper than the Nikon 35 f1.8, so there is a price break. I guess if you could find a used FA 35, that would be close too...

12-11-2014, 05:34 AM   #17
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Horseheads, New York
Posts: 9
QuoteOriginally posted by krisjaniz Quote
I waited for a long time to get the K-3. Dropped mine on concrete on practically the first outing. I was running and the zipper on the bag failed.

Sorry to hear about that... Did the camera survive the drop?
12-11-2014, 05:36 AM   #18
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 272
You will not have any regrets. I love the 24mp.
12-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member
JibbaJab's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 352
Personally, I found that spending more money on a camera than I could afford at the time, was the best motivation to get me out shooting and improving as a photographer. Because I had to justify spending the money, but more importantly because at that point I couldn't blame my gear for my bad photos.

The LBA that followed after getting a better camera...well, that's a different story. :P

I hope you enjoy your K-3!

12-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #20
Senior Member
Trudger1272's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Photos: Albums
Posts: 288
QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
On one hand.. I so wanted this camera since it came out. On the other hand... stupid. Stupid! The K-30 is good enough.
Just don't do what I did: buy a K-3 while having a K30 that's good enough, to get so attached to the K-3 that you get rid of the K30 just to realize you need a back-up body and turn around and buy a K-5iis.
"I still don't feel guilty though, just a little privileged and broke!"
QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
Personally, I found that spending more money on a camera than I could afford at the time, was the best motivation to get me out shooting and improving as a photographer. Because I had to justify spending the money, but more importantly because at that point I couldn't blame my gear for my bad photos. The LBA that followed after getting a better camera...well, that's a different story. :P I hope you enjoy your K-3!
Oh yeah ...and this too!
12-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #21
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,903
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Well, one issue for me is paying the same price for a lens that only goes to 2.4. With the crop sensor bodies I like to have as much DOF to play with and limit as possible. The other thing is that the Nikon has a built in motor and focuses fast even in low light. My Pentax isn't quite as good. Still, the image stabilization is quite nice, so in some cases I'd actually prefer the Pentax, especially where light is low and the subject is static, like a museum.
I just have a look at your photo/album... I don't think you need a Pentax, a Nikon camera will be more suitable for you.. enough said... suggest you should sell your Pentax gear while it is still worth something.. and move on, life is too short if you don't find the niche in Pentax...
12-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #22
Pentaxian
Wolfeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 733
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I just have a look at your photo/album... I don't think you need a Pentax, a Nikon camera will be more suitable for you.. enough said... suggest you should sell your Pentax gear while it is still worth something.. and move on, life is too short if you don't find the niche in Pentax...
Judge me by my size, do you?
12-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,903
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Judge me by my size, do you?
No, you have both D7100 and k-3 and you prefer the other camera (Pentax has nothing to compare), isn't it obvious?

12-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #24
Pentaxian
Wolfeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 733
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
No, you have both D7100 and k-3 and you prefer the other camera, isn't it obvious?
I wouldn't assume so. I have a lot of Pentax M lenses and I rather like having image stabilization on them all. Different cameras do different things better.

As I said.

But I do understand your confusion, if you've only ever owned one brand. I was merely making known my thoughts.
12-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #25
Veteran Member
JibbaJab's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 352
On the contrary, I think wolfeye's on a roll. He just needs to buy the A7 II, X-T1, and E-M1 and similar FL lenses so we can all live vicariously through his dreamboat of a collection.
12-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #26
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,427
I simply need the 645z and the full set of lenses for it and I will be happy.
12-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #27
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 211
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I simply need the 645z and the full set of lenses for it and I will be happy.

who doesn't? until the governments wake up and give everybody his own 645z, the K3 has to serve as a replacement drug.
12-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #28
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,301
Why the confession? Guilty perhaps of participating in the "Why I won't buy a K-3" thread?
12-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #29
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,427
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Why the confession? Guilty perhaps of participating in the "Why I won't buy a K-3" thread?
I am.
12-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #30
Veteran Member
JibbaJab's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 352
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Why the confession? Guilty perhaps of participating in the "Why I won't buy a K-3" thread?
I am too, but to be fair, most of my posts involved references to bacon, lutefisk and European pop stars.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just Ordered a K-5ii…need some lens and sensor input zx-m Pentax DSLR Discussion 14 09-21-2014 04:24 PM
Just ordered my K-5ii... tele_pathic Pentax K-5 8 07-03-2013 05:17 AM
Just Ordered A K-5 from Adorama Take-5-JB Pentax K-5 7 02-23-2013 03:40 AM
Just ordered a K-5lls Harish Hegde Pentax K-5 7 11-16-2012 01:16 AM
Help! I just ordered a K-5 but no lenses. kshapero Pentax K-5 16 11-30-2011 12:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top