Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
I got my K-3 on a whim b/c it was a great package deal. Comparing it to my other cameras, it lacks the tilt screen and video AF of my Canon 70D, and the AF is generally terrible overall, in comparison, although I don't have any fancy Pentax lenses to test. Images seem noisier than from my Nikon D7100 and I'm sad that Pentax has nothing that compares, pricewise nor in IQ to the cheapo Nikon 35mm 1.8 lens. They offer the 35mm 2.4 but it's not the same.

OTOH I have a 24mp camera with all my Pentax lenses image stabilized so if I want better quality images, I do have good (enough) Pentax-M lenses to use. I'm annoyed that Pentax decided to disable wireless (even non-TTL) flash when you use M lenses. Of course they don't want you to use them, they want you to buy new ones.
neither does canon.

What about the FA 35 f/2. BHphoto has them in stock new.

Last edited by Venom3300; 12-18-2014 at 10:09 AM.
12-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #47

Original Poster
ok, first testshots with my macro DFA 100mm WR are in.

Verdict:

Holy Molly!

and some other things better not said here.

But:
focus peaking in liveview in low light is better with the K30.
12-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #48

The K-3 is better in every aspect (except weight) than the K-30, no question about it. I'm a K-30 user
12-20-2014, 03:57 AM   #49

Original Poster
Lifeview focus peaking is better with the K30 actually. Hm. But viewfinder is so much better. Also, unlike with my K30 with the K3 the focus notification in manual focus mode is spot on.

12-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
Lifeview focus peaking is better with the K30 actually. Hm. But viewfinder is so much better. Also, unlike with my K30 with the K3 the focus notification in manual focus mode is spot on.
Congratulations on the new purchase.

I have a K5 and a K5-IIs and the focus notification is definitely better than either of them. Unfortunately I didn't realize this until I got back from a trip out west that included a quick one day trip through Yellowstone NP. This years quick trip through Yellowstone was much better because I trusted my eye over focus confirmation. The auto focus lenses I now have work fine with both cameras.

I have tested focus confirmation on my newly arrived K3 and, like yours, it is spot on.
12-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Well, one issue for me is paying the same price for a lens that only goes to 2.4. With the crop sensor bodies I like to have as much DOF to play with and limit as possible. The other thing is that the Nikon has a built in motor and focuses fast even in low light. My Pentax isn't quite as good. Still, the image stabilization is quite nice, so in some cases I'd actually prefer the Pentax, especially where light is low and the subject is static, like a museum.
I actually thought the DA 35mm 2.4 was regarded as a fast focussing lens - your experience seems to dictate otherwise. However, the fact that the Nikon lens focusses fast even in low light doesn't really have anything to do with the lens though right? I thought the camera was the limiting factor for low light focussing - could be wrong.