Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #1

Confession: just ordered a K-3

and I don't know how to feel about it.

On a plan - 36 month. Tomorrow they will decide... with a bit of luck I'll have it on Friday... or not.

On one hand.. I so wanted this camera since it came out. On the other hand... stupid. Stupid! The K-30 is good enough...

12-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #2

Have fun!! My K30 glitches and does weird stuff sometimes since I got it. And dropped it once so it is no longer weather sealed :/

---------- Post added 12-10-14 at 02:52 PM ----------

It is good to have two cameras for events and such. Or one can do a video or timelapse while you shoot with the other
12-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #3

I understand. I've had my K-50 about 6 weeks and already am cruising the web for pricing on the the K-3.

Do I need it? Nope. Is the K-50 a very capable camera that does virtually everything I want? Yup. Should I seek help? Most definitely.
12-10-2014, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that's not a confession...that is a "Yeh I did something good for myself and i sooooo deserve it!!!"

12-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wait until you get your hands on it. You will LOVE it!
12-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Uuuggghhhhhhhh! I feel my resistance wearing down every time I read one of these. Must...resist.....
12-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #7

I waited for a long time to get the K-3. Dropped mine on concrete on practically the first outing. I was running and the zipper on the bag failed.

12-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I got my K-3 on a whim b/c it was a great package deal. Comparing it to my other cameras, it lacks the tilt screen and video AF of my Canon 70D, and the AF is generally terrible overall, in comparison, although I don't have any fancy Pentax lenses to test. Images seem noisier than from my Nikon D7100 and I'm sad that Pentax has nothing that compares, pricewise nor in IQ to the cheapo Nikon 35mm 1.8 lens. They offer the 35mm 2.4 but it's not the same.

OTOH I have a 24mp camera with all my Pentax lenses image stabilized so if I want better quality images, I do have good (enough) Pentax-M lenses to use. I'm annoyed that Pentax decided to disable wireless (even non-TTL) flash when you use M lenses. Of course they don't want you to use them, they want you to buy new ones.
12-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, this being a photography forum, I'm neither willing nor in a position to comment on the pecuniary wisdom of your step. However, as a passionate photographer, I find it understandable. The promise and the substance of the K-3 as a photographic tool is certainly enticing, and I could hardly believe my luck when my wife finally suggested that, if I'd wanted it so much, and for so long, I might as well get it, while we happened to have some spending money for a change. And, boy, was it worth the investment! Coming from a K-7, which I sold to a friend of the family, the improvements in general responsiveness, metering, feature richness, colour accuracy, dynamic range, high ISO capabilities, and resolution are quite noticeable, and I have absolutely no regrets about getting the K-3.

As long as you don't expect the K-3 to be light years away from the K-30 in terms of IQ, and that is because both are excellent cameras in their respective ranges, you will find that the K-3 delivers the goods. Build quality-wise, you will likely see a difference. Shoot it, learn it, make it sing, and enjoy the wonderful photographs the K-3 is capable of giving you.

True, installment plans are not the best way of buying gear, as you will usually end up paying more than necessary and will lose financial flexibilty in the process. Yet I got my DA15 on a 24-month plan, which probably wasn't the wisest way of picking it up, but then again it has become one of my favourite lenses, as I knew it would, and it has given me a fair number of stunning shots that I possibly wouldn't have got without it.

Bottom line: As long as you find something edible in your fridge, stop feeling guilty about your purchase and enjoy your K-3. I bet it will serve you well, and longer than the 36 months you may need to pay for it ...
12-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
and I don't know how to feel about it.

On a plan - 36 month. Tomorrow they will decide... with a bit of luck I'll have it on Friday... or not.

On one hand.. I so wanted this camera since it came out. On the other hand... stupid. Stupid! The K-30 is good enough...

If you don't treat yourself good who else will ? Congrats !
12-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #11

Original Poster
well, hm. Good question. But this also means: my car has to survive the next three years...
12-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
I got my K-3 on a whim b/c it was a great package deal. Comparing it to my other cameras, it lacks the tilt screen and video AF of my Canon 70D, and the AF is generally terrible overall, in comparison, although I don't have any fancy Pentax lenses to test. Images seem noisier than from my Nikon D7100 and I'm sad that Pentax has nothing that compares, pricewise nor in IQ to the cheapo Nikon 35mm 1.8 lens. They offer the 35mm 2.4 but it's not the same.

OTOH I have a 24mp camera with all my Pentax lenses image stabilized so if I want better quality images, I do have good (enough) Pentax-M lenses to use. I'm annoyed that Pentax decided to disable wireless (even non-TTL) flash when you use M lenses. Of course they don't want you to use them, they want you to buy new ones.
Why do you say they don't compare? just because the Pentax is 2.4? My brother and I were together shooting recently, he with his Nikon and 35 1.8 and my with my K20D and 35 2.4. The pictures looked very similar. The IBIS in my Pentax kind of made up for the fact that the lens was a bit slower. I was able to keep up with whatever he was doing in low light except for maybe one picture where his at 1.8 looked better than me at 2.4, when our families were eating at a very dark restaurant. Since we were in a group the f2.4 actually worked well to have everyone more in focus.
During both lenses looked fine, mine had a bit sharper look to the pictures, and his had more saturated colors SOOC.
12-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #13
Huy
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Love the K-3 for its professional look.
Have to constantly remind myself that practicing is the way and good pictures are the proof of a good photographer.
12-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Why do you say they don't compare? just because the Pentax is 2.4? My brother and I were together shooting recently, he with his Nikon and 35 1.8 and my with my K20D and 35 2.4. The pictures looked very similar. The IBIS in my Pentax kind of made up for the fact that the lens was a bit slower. I was able to keep up with whatever he was doing in low light except for maybe one picture where his at 1.8 looked better than me at 2.4, when our families were eating at a very dark restaurant. Since we were in a group the f2.4 actually worked well to have everyone more in focus.
During both lenses looked fine, mine had a bit sharper look to the pictures, and his had more saturated colors SOOC.
Well, one issue for me is paying the same price for a lens that only goes to 2.4. With the crop sensor bodies I like to have as much DOF to play with and limit as possible. The other thing is that the Nikon has a built in motor and focuses fast even in low light. My Pentax isn't quite as good. Still, the image stabilization is quite nice, so in some cases I'd actually prefer the Pentax, especially where light is low and the subject is static, like a museum.
12-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krisjaniz Quote
I waited for a long time to get the K-3. Dropped mine on concrete on practically the first outing. I was running and the zipper on the bag failed.
Cameras are the most expensive while at the same time delicate things we routinely handle, outside or trades and professions with exotic equipment. If you think about how often you drop a pen or your phone or anything, cameras are statistically going to get dropped. I've had two bad lens losses and a K-7 dropped. It happens.