Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2014, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
Catch in focus in manual focus mode really takes a lot of time. By the time it (focus light) blinks and you press the button, the subject is gone

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/58761-heron-behaviour...-a300mmf4.html

Here was one I did with manual lens and focus on the fly. Typically I got 3 seconds top.

Daniel
This is why I kind of prefer the name ''trap focus' rather than 'catch'. It explains the concept a bit better.

It's essentially designed to lay in wait, preset at a certain focus, and wait for something to cross inside the focus plane at which point the camera will fire.

Its not really designed for someone to focus on the fly (it can be done, but its tricky). I know I look like a fool when I use it out and about shooting insects and flowers because I'll be standing there rocking back and forth on my heels like a drunk waiting for the camera to fire because I'm not touching the focus ring at all.

Real life example #1: You're at a motor event. You know the subject is going to cross the finish line at a certain point, so you set the camera to focus at that point, then lay in wait. The car crosses, the camera fires, and you have your shot.

RL Example #2: You're sitting in a bird blind patiently waiting for the elusive Double Thrusted Tit Warbler to land at the feeder you have set up. The camera is set just off the perch (otherwise it would fire because the perch would be in focus), and you wait, diligently watching for two hours with your finger pressing the shutter while the battery drains until the DTTW lands and BAM. Camera fires and you have your shot.

RL Example #3: Its spring, and the cheery blossoms are in bloom! You head down to the nearby tree and try shooting that branch dangling down invitingly, except your AF shoots the roadway beyond. Or the next tree over. or the grassy hill between the tree and the roadway! Your subject is just too small and/or mobile, so the cameras going for what it THINKS you want rather than what you actually want. So you flip the camera over to manual, get your focus as close as possible manually to what you want to shoot (the fact that its waving around in the spring breeze makes straight up manually shooting the thing impossible) and do the drunken wobble until the flower just happens to cross the focus plane where you wanted it to and BAM. Camera fires, the flower is actually in focus, and you have what you came for in a situation where autofocus was utterly failing you.

(This is how I managed this shot, if I remember right - the Sigma 10-20mm kept wanting to shoot the trees beyond because that's what the camera assumed I was after.)

RL Example #4: You're engaging in a bit of street photography and turn to shoot something at minimal photo distance when Thugs McGee takes offense to the fact that you just took a picture of his girlfriend. You turn in surprise to find a fist flying at your face and instinctively lift the camera to block the blow. As his fist enters the focus plane, the camera fires and you have an absolutely amazing shot of his ham-fist coming right at you with everything else a blur. You upload the photo to Flickr the next day after getting out of the hospital and instantly hit Explore.

Its essentially the same tech that's used in game cameras that scientists set up out in the deep woods to try to photograph wildlife that would be way too spooked by man to shoot normally.

If you don't know exactly where focus is going to be its pretty much going to be useless.

Last edited by Sagitta; 12-18-2014 at 04:20 PM.
12-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The geese have taken to flying over, further away; so I haven't been able to get any shots yet. I'll post some when I do.
12-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've tried it a few times and I've grown to only trust it with lenses that have very long focus throws, otherwise, by the time it fires I've already passed the subject by a few feet.
12-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
I've tried it a few times and I've grown to only trust it with lenses that have very long focus throws, otherwise, by the time it fires I've already passed the subject by a few feet.
If you're speaking of CIF, I won't be using that, noting the suggestions in the thread.