Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 230
SR feature suggestion

Here's an idea. Maybe Pentax can add an SR setting where it only kicks in when the body detects the shutter speed does not meet the 1/fl rule of thumb?

That way you don't need to wait for the SR to engage when you don't really need to, or have to manually turn it off/on.

Another plus for the IBIS system .

12-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,250
I'd hate that. I want IBIS off until I think I need it.
I don't need the camera making decisions for me.
12-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 230
Original Poster
Well, it would can be an additional option. Like:
Off
On
Auto

I'm not suggesting there is no Off option.

In the meantime, I'm off to patent office...
12-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 7,725
Like any good patent troll, Grinmode, don't publicize you've done it, just quietly wait until it becomes an industry standard ... :-)

12-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,596
QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
Pentax can add an SR setting where it only kicks in when the body detects the shutter speed does not meet the 1/fl rule of thumb?
Not a bad idea.

Since I think the existing Program Line options already pay heed to the 1/focal length rule, Ricoh should probably implement your suggestion as a supplement to the existing Program line options - Auto, Normal, Hi-Speed, DOF Priority (Deep/Shallow), MTF Priority etc - by adding a new menu item 'SR Linked to Program Line'.

Your idea resembles the Auto-ISO implementation that can be found on some Nikons, where you can tell the camera that ISO sensitivity should only be auto-adjusted if the shutter speed would otherwise be slower than a specified focal length value, which can be automatically read from the lens.
12-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 230
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Like any good patent troll, Grinmode, don't publicize you've done it, just quietly wait until it becomes an industry standard ... :-)
Thanks clackers. But I already have a patent that I'm waiting to become an industry standard.

I have a grip design that will allow the camera to be used upside down, turned 180 degrees. This will benefit all left handed shooters out there.

>:-)

---------- Post added 12-11-14 at 08:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Not a bad idea.

Since I think the existing Program Line options already pay heed to the 1/focal length rule, Ricoh should probably implement your suggestion as a supplement to the existing Program line options - Auto, Normal, Hi-Speed, DOF Priority (Deep/Shallow), MTF Priority etc - by adding a new menu item 'SR Linked to Program Line'.

Your idea resembles the Auto-ISO implementation that can be found on some Nikons, where you can tell the camera that ISO sensitivity should only be auto-adjusted if the shutter speed would otherwise be slower than a specified focal length value, which can be automatically read from the lens.
Thanks rawr. I actually think it's simple enough to implement.
12-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,287
QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
Well, it would can be an additional option. Like:
Off
On
Auto
Make the Auto user adjustable while you're at it, so we can choose the threshold where it kicks in, 1/fl, 2/fl, 1/2fl, etc.

Or just promise to never again make a camera without a hard sr switch (I'm looking at you k5 series)
12-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 7,725
QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote

I have a grip design that will allow the camera to be used upside down, turned 180 degrees. This will benefit all left handed shooters out there.
Yes, I think it's already on sale at Ned Flanders' Leftorium ... release the horde of lawyers!

12-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member
JimC1101's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fremont, Ca
Photos: Albums
Posts: 392
I like the auto mode......will it also detect that you turn off for panning ?
12-12-2014, 01:18 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 230
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
I like the auto mode......will it also detect that you turn off for panning ?
I'll think about it...

Seriously I don't think it should change any current behavior of the SR, just add on top of them.
12-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,237
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, I think it's already on sale at Ned Flanders' Leftorium ... release the horde of lawyers!
hahahahaha
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, idea, industry, length, line, options, patent, photography, priority, program, sr, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firmware feature requests Thingo Pentax K-01 4 03-04-2013 07:09 PM
Feature suggestion: auto RAW! asp1880 Pentax DSLR Discussion 24 11-22-2012 09:10 AM
Should SR noise occur when SR is off? amoringello Pentax K-5 5 11-29-2010 06:03 PM
In-Body SR vs. In-Lens SR Pros and Cons? uchinakuri Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 32 09-23-2010 09:42 PM
Feature suggestion: Sort find all posts by activity alohadave Site Suggestions and Help 1 08-10-2009 12:30 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top