Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #1

SR feature suggestion

Here's an idea. Maybe Pentax can add an SR setting where it only kicks in when the body detects the shutter speed does not meet the 1/fl rule of thumb?

That way you don't need to wait for the SR to engage when you don't really need to, or have to manually turn it off/on.

Another plus for the IBIS system .

12-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd hate that. I want IBIS off until I think I need it.
I don't need the camera making decisions for me.
12-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
Well, it would can be an additional option. Like:
Off
On
Auto

I'm not suggesting there is no Off option.

In the meantime, I'm off to patent office...
12-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Like any good patent troll, Grinmode, don't publicize you've done it, just quietly wait until it becomes an industry standard ... :-)

12-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
Pentax can add an SR setting where it only kicks in when the body detects the shutter speed does not meet the 1/fl rule of thumb?
Not a bad idea.

Since I think the existing Program Line options already pay heed to the 1/focal length rule, Ricoh should probably implement your suggestion as a supplement to the existing Program line options - Auto, Normal, Hi-Speed, DOF Priority (Deep/Shallow), MTF Priority etc - by adding a new menu item 'SR Linked to Program Line'.

Your idea resembles the Auto-ISO implementation that can be found on some Nikons, where you can tell the camera that ISO sensitivity should only be auto-adjusted if the shutter speed would otherwise be slower than a specified focal length value, which can be automatically read from the lens.
12-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Like any good patent troll, Grinmode, don't publicize you've done it, just quietly wait until it becomes an industry standard ... :-)
Thanks clackers. But I already have a patent that I'm waiting to become an industry standard.

I have a grip design that will allow the camera to be used upside down, turned 180 degrees. This will benefit all left handed shooters out there.

>:-)

---------- Post added 12-11-14 at 08:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Not a bad idea.

Since I think the existing Program Line options already pay heed to the 1/focal length rule, Ricoh should probably implement your suggestion as a supplement to the existing Program line options - Auto, Normal, Hi-Speed, DOF Priority (Deep/Shallow), MTF Priority etc - by adding a new menu item 'SR Linked to Program Line'.

Your idea resembles the Auto-ISO implementation that can be found on some Nikons, where you can tell the camera that ISO sensitivity should only be auto-adjusted if the shutter speed would otherwise be slower than a specified focal length value, which can be automatically read from the lens.
Thanks rawr. I actually think it's simple enough to implement.
12-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, it would can be an additional option. Like:
Off
On
Auto
Make the Auto user adjustable while you're at it, so we can choose the threshold where it kicks in, 1/fl, 2/fl, 1/2fl, etc.

Or just promise to never again make a camera without a hard sr switch (I'm looking at you k5 series)

12-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a grip design that will allow the camera to be used upside down, turned 180 degrees. This will benefit all left handed shooters out there.
Yes, I think it's already on sale at Ned Flanders' Leftorium ... release the horde of lawyers!
12-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I like the auto mode......will it also detect that you turn off for panning ?
12-12-2014, 01:18 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
I like the auto mode......will it also detect that you turn off for panning ?
I'll think about it...

Seriously I don't think it should change any current behavior of the SR, just add on top of them.
12-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, I think it's already on sale at Ned Flanders' Leftorium ... release the horde of lawyers!
hahahahaha