Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

KS1 worst camera of 2014 what do the owners think?

The Best and Worst Cameras and Lenses of 2014, According to The Camera Store

12-11-2014, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If no owner responds the reviewers point will be proven
12-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Yet an Aus site gave it an award..? Guess those aren't mutually exclusive

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1/277168-camera-magazine-im...s1-winner.html
12-12-2014, 12:07 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-S1 takes pretty good pictures. I'm just not sure that the sacrifice in handling is really worth it...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #5

I bet the K-S1 are having too much fun taking photos than to bother with tripe like this.

Do we really need three threads on this?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1/282363-k-s1-worst-camera-year.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/282223-camera-sto...ds-2014-a.html

While not a direct response to the Camera Store's opinion K David's preview video on the K-S1 says much more about the camera, especially the images taken with it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1/280593-thoughts-pentax-ks-1-a.html
12-12-2014, 12:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I imagine it takes good pictures but it looks kind of silly and lacks WR. I think if I was Ricoh/Pentax I'd make everything WR.
12-12-2014, 01:18 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

in black does not look silly at all, and with Limiteds it looks and feels very cool

12-12-2014, 01:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It's always going to be a matter of opinion.
Nothing changes here.
But I have to be honest, why Ricoh didn't add the tilting rear screen is nuts. There are plenty of cameras now that prove it isn't a bulky issue.
The K-01 was crying out for a tilting screen, the K-S1 positively SCREAMS for one.

And those TCS guys are getting a tad cosy, aren't they!? :O
12-12-2014, 02:21 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, I'll bite. I've had my K-S1 for almost two months. It's a good little camera.

On two points, they are dead wrong - that the K-S1 doesn't have typical Pentax strengths of IQ and dynamic range. It's as good as any of the other plastic bodies. So it's not a K-3 - it's not supposed to be.

As to the lack of "rugged build", yeah it's not a magnesium alloy body or WR - I guess this makes the K-x a terrible camera, too, and it's still pretty popular. Or the K-500. Again, the build quality of the K-S1 is as good as any of their plastic bodies. WR was simply sacrificed for size - the project engineer said it was a "truly painful decision". (Don't tell me they could have done it "if they wanted to". Unless you're a Pentax engineer and were there, you don't know that.)

I'll agree the ergonomics aren't great, but I've used film cameras that were as bad or worse. Sometimes you have to adapt to the tool, and sometimes the act of doing so is good for you. I actually would have been happier if the right side were flat like a K-01, plus it could have kept the big battery. But again, small size was the goal. The designers made compromises - some good, some bad, some I still don't know what I think. But that's very Pentax. In exchange for small size, the DA Ltd lenses sacrifice speed, WR, and some handling - those narrow focus rings can be annoying, especially with gloves on. But in the right situations, they're great.

Value: well, the K-S1 is now about the same price as the K-x at launch. The K-x had a bigger grip, but no AF focus points, and the K-S1 is superior in focusing speed, LiveView, IQ, video, FluCard support... Sure, you can get a K-30, K-50, or K-500 for less - so what? Two of those are discontinued, and the K-50 is at the end of its run. Older models are always cheaper. You can get a K100D or *istDS for a hundred bucks now. I doubt a K-50 successor will launch anywhere below $600. Some of us (not many, but some) are willing to pay a little more for a smaller body. If I'd wanted a K-50 or a K-3, I would have bought that. If I'd wanted to go mirrorless, I would have done that. I had been hoping for some time for something like a K-x successor, and Pentax made one, so I bought it, and I like it.

Edit: (Okay, I admit I'm in the "and another thing" phase of ranting ) Regarding "No reason to exist": I've read that Japanese women are severely under-represented in the camera market. It's obvious that the color options are directed at them - probably the petite grip as well. Maybe MILCs will dominate this segment, but Pentax has a selection of excellent small glass to go on a small body with excellent IQ. It doesn't seem that daft to me.

Last edited by THoog; 12-13-2014 at 10:00 PM.
12-12-2014, 03:54 AM   #10
Forum Member

Funny, they made some good advertising for a camera "no one knows about it".
12-12-2014, 06:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Like Martin I was mystified by them knowing about a camera that "no one knows about"
12-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
Like Martin I was mystified by them knowing about a camera that "no one knows about"
Well, they are in the industry.
I'll bet they know about stuff even you or I don't.
12-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I imagine it takes good pictures but it looks kind of silly and lacks WR. I think if I was Ricoh/Pentax I'd make everything WR.
I just looked at some images of K-s1 with plastic fantastic DAL kit lenses, well it does look silly indeed.
That should be Pentax/Ricoh priority now, design and build smaller kit lens with silent focus.
Lack of WR does not bother me at all, we have here in Perth at least 70% of the year without rain and all Limited's are not WR anyway ( sizewise perfect match for K-s1), this camera was not designed to be used with large lenses.
For rainy days there is K10D, K-30, K-5,K-3 etc with bigger WR lenses.
Look at the Q (still use it and love it) , nobody is complaining about lack of WR, this camera serves different it's own purpose.
The same K-s1 fits perfectly with small current and old MF prime lenses and that's how I will be using it.
Lack of tilting screen, no problem at all for me, it has great ( love it with fast MF primes) large viewfinder.
I only miss tilting screen sometimes on K-01 but I have a loupe to use with it if needed.
Very, very happy with Pentax diverse range of gear!

Last edited by i_trax; 12-12-2014 at 08:44 PM.
12-13-2014, 11:53 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
this camera was not designed to be used with large lenses.

It's fine if you shoot with good technique ... relaxed curled right hand instead of a death grip, with the weight taken up by the left hand holding the lens, fingers doing the manual focus or zoom. Mirrorless camera owners naturally do this with big lenses (I have a NEX-7).

My K-S1 gets no concession and is expected to operate with any lens from my collection, including the large, heavy ones:

Sigma 35mm Art f1.4:

Sigma 150-500mm:

Tamron 70-200mm f2.8, here shooting cyclists approaching at nearly 50kmh. Pentax does sports shooting, just ask Ron Hendricks!

I'm a relatively new hobbyist, anyone who actually knows what they're doing will get great results! :-)

Last edited by clackers; 12-14-2014 at 02:43 PM.
12-14-2014, 01:29 AM   #15
ogl
Banned

Any owner always thinks that he has the best camera. Otherwise, he won't be owner or sell camera after some using.