Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Hi Arpe

QuoteQuote:
Yeah I found the multi thing often chose the wrong thing to focus on.
In which case, is there perhaps a vague possibility that those contributors to this thread are arriving at some kind of consensus as to the actual usefulness of the multi-point focus mode ? If it doesn't function as well as we might have anticipated and whilst not forgetting to rule out potential operator-error, I am seriously beginning to wonder about the worth of it's inclusion in the great scheme of things ?

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 05-25-2008 at 06:42 PM.
05-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #17
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Once I learned how to pick the focus point - I always used the center point. I had an "issue" with the camera picking the focus point during my sons graduation - one picture in the series was focused on him, the next was on the back of the head of the guy seated in front of me, the final picture was back on my son. ---- Very frustrating. (I had the camera for less than a few weeks - everything in P and auto pick everything mode).

Once I found out how to dedicate the center point I never looked back. ---- Now that I have decoupled AF from the shutter button - I am back in control. When I hand the camera to the significant other - I set it all back to the camera defaults (including the AF setting).

Just why do you want to let the camera make the decisions? If you want a P&S - go buy a P&S, otherwise take control.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
05-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Hi all

Just out of interest, I referred back to p. 132 of the K10D instruction manual, where it says:

QuoteQuote:
The AF point is fixed to the centre position regardless of *this setting with lenses other than DA, D FA, FAJ, FA or F lenses.
I'm probably misreading the interpretation of *this entirely, but could it possibly imply that when using third party lens brands such as Sigma, Tamron etc, that the AUTO or SELECT options somehow become unavailable or automatically disabled ?

Best regards
Richard
05-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
I'm probably misreading the interpretation of *this entirely, but could it possibly imply that when using third party lens brands such as Sigma, Tamron etc, that the AUTO or SELECT options somehow become unavailable or automatically disabled ?
Hey, Richard - THANKS for this. This would explain something I've been scratching my head about. If I go out with both the K10D and the K20D, I've probably got the Pentax 16-45 on one and the Sigma 17-70 on the other, and I have been noticing that SOMETIMES the AUTO focus mode seems pretty much stuck on center point focus, while other times it doesn't. Hadn't yet noticed that it was the lenses. I will test this now but I'm grateful for the suggestion.
'
I'd consult the manual more often but I feel that, for every question it answers, it raises three more in its place.

Will

05-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Arpe

In which case, is there perhaps a vague possibility that those contributors to this thread are arriving at some kind of consensus as to the actual usefulness of the multi-point focus mode ? If it doesn't function as well as we might have anticipated and whilst not forgetting to rule out potential operator-error, I am seriously beginning to wonder about the worth of it's inclusion in the great scheme of things ?

Best regards
Richard
But may be of some use to others, not us control freaks.
05-26-2008, 09:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I soon got my K10D off multi-point and generally use centre-point, manual focus and occasionly select a alternative (not centre) point. I've also decided it dosen't like black/dark objects (even in bright light) much either. The more I use it the more I'm disappointed in it.

This weekend at my sons football match, I intend to drag out the old Nikon / Tokina 80-200/2.8 manual focus combo to see if I can do better, which my memory seems to think I can. I will see!!
05-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #22
Inactive Account

I certainly don't hold myself up as any sort of expert, but my frustrations with focus hunting when shooting dim scenes or dark subject/light background shots has sent me back into the arms of manual focus lenses and katz-eye screens.

05-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Now I'm wondering what the multipoint focusing option does. Why would I use it instead of center spot?
Not only I prefer single/center spot but also a much smaller sensor cross so the focus point is more precise. I asked but no-one has offered a hack to trim it down