Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #1

recently purchased k-5 iis

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a k-5 II s and was wondering if a k-50 is just as good for my needs.

-beginner
-mostly family gatherings
-some nature (plants, landscapes) @ beginner level

what do you guys think you I return K-5 IIs and go with k-50?

Thank you in advance.

12-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would hang on to the K-5 unless you're dissatisfied with its live view or video mode. It's better in just about every other way.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-14-2014, 01:11 AM   #3

I would stay with it, learn and progress your skills. In the long run its the better camera
12-14-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If you think that you're a person that will never want to try new things, to learn new things, to progress, you can turn back to K-50. But I don't think you are.

12-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree; keep the K5IIs; you'll "grow" into it. Besides, returning an item just because of second thoughts, leaves the place where you bought it, having to then resell it as used.

BTW, Welcome to the forums!
12-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I was in a similar situation as the original poster last year. Just a beginner (still am), wanted to explore photography, knew things could get expensive fast but wanted to start conservatively. At the time, the K-5II/IIs was significantly more expensive than the K-30 (which is almost identical internally to the K-50), so I went with the K-30. While I've been very happy with the K-30, I can tell you that if I were to do it over again, and particularly with the price of the K-5IIs vs. the K-50 now, I would absolutely have gone with the K-5IIs.

The only things the K-30/K-50 has over the K-5IIs (in my opinion) are: (1) lighter weight, which matters and (2) useful from time to time is the live view focus peaking function. Since I don't use video at all, the additional buttons on the K-5IIs that allow you to access functions easier, better build and grip (it's more comfortable to hold than the K-30, not sure about the K-50), I think the K-5IIs is the way to go. I think you'll grow into it quickly. I hope you enjoy it!
12-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to keep the K-5 IIs.

happy holidays!
12-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alsorto Quote

happy holidays!
Good choice, once you gain more knowledge and experience you will find it easier to use than the other. I suggest getting real familiar with the back button functions and what they can do. At some time you might consider shutting off the shutter focusing and use the back AF button as it will allow for more diversity.

12-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alsorto Quote

happy holidays!
Good choice, I think you will be happy with the k-5IIs (advanced level) vs k-50 which is a beginner level. Although there are some new features (such as focus peaking when using Live-view to take pictures), the over-all button layout body design of the k-5IIs is closer to the "pro" level, plus the lack of AA filter would provide additional advantage of photo taking experience results in sharper and crispier images when you pair it with better lenses (FA limited, DA*, DA limited).

Enjoy your new toy!!

Last edited by aleonx3; 12-15-2014 at 11:00 AM.
12-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I would suggest as a beginner to study up as much as you can on Exposure, WB, use of shutter, aperture and how they work with various lens types to control of your depth of field as a means to obtain sharper, better photos. I also suggest using P mode to start with instead of green mode as it will allow you more latitude to change the settings vs not being able to. Then with experience move to using more creative control with the other modes. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will your skills be with your new camera. There are a lot of great books, online learning both reading and on you tube that can help you. Both B&H and Adorama have a lot of excellent learning videos.
12-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll chime in with a suggestion to go TAv mode - pretty much like using P mode, with a couple automatic settings.
Set your Aperture where you're comfortable, adjust shutter speed to put the ISO in an acceptable range and shoot away.