Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
*nods*

It was just us sitting on the couch. Wolfieboy thought it'd make a nice picture and grabbed my camera. Then proceeded to spend 10mins trying to get a decent shot while wolfiepup squirmed etc.

My understanding was that if it was set to AF it would be enough for him, and it wasn't like I was even sure what photos he was trying to take by the end....

So I just wondered if there might be an easier p&s option for him.
Just curious, what AF option do you have set in your k-01 (by the way, I have the k-01, so I know the limitation if any)? You said you have the Sigma 17-70/f.28 lens mounted, which should be fast enough to focus even in low light situation. Are you using the AF/AE-L button to lock focus?

Of course, there is always an easier p&s option for him, a cell phone...

12-15-2014, 12:00 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that wolfieboy can't be bothered with a DSLR, just like Mrs. drypenn. Here's our typical conversation:

10: Mrs> I want to take pictures like yours.
20: Me> Sure. Get my K-X and pick a lens in the cabinet.
30: Mrs> I don't want your DSLRs, they're too complicated, and they're not as good as my <insert P&S here>, and I don't understand the differences between your lenses. Just teach me how to use my <insert P&S here> properly.
40: Me> But, I've already repeatedly taught you the basics, right?
50: Mrs> Yeah, I forgot them, and besides I don't want to sit in front of the computer, editing pictures afterwards.
60: Me> <Sigh>
70: Mrs> I just want to take nice pictures, is that asking too much?
80: Let x=1 day
90: For x = 1 to 7
100: Next x
110: GOTO 10

120: REM she shoots better than I do with an iphone
12-15-2014, 01:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The K-01 is not the fastest focusing camera, especially if you are using an older firmware. Low light and lack of experience with it don't help! Whenever I give the K-01 to someone else, they always miss focus. Always.
Something like a K-5IIs (which you can own btw ) will focus faster.
And it also depends on the lens design. DA 50mm f1.8 should focus pretty fast! Some lenses like DFA 100mm macro will be slower, because they have a much longer focus throw. It just takes the camera longer to spin up to the correct position. Aperture is important, as well. And whether a lens has SDM or DC motor, or if it is in-camera screw drive. So its a whole number of issues. Aperture is important as well - a slightly misfocused photo at f2.8 will make a blurry photo, but a slightly misfocused photo at f8 will have a DoF wide enough to hide most focusing errors. Of course, you need a lot of light to use f8, and in some cases you don't want a wide DoF

But! Here is what it comes down to. Not plenty of cameras actually have fast AF. People expect fast AF because smartphones and P&S tiny cameras have fast focus. The reason they have fast focus is that they have a single, built-in lens, and a very wide DoF. This together means a camera doesn't need fast, nor precise AF. The DoF will be huge anyway, and things will most likely be in focus. But with DSLR cameras, Pentax is not lagging behind. I remember quite a few tests placed the K-5 in the top of crop sensor camera AF speed
The Pentax MX-1 has "fast AF" in the panfocus mode. Its like automatic zone focusing! Not actually "fast", as it doesn't move much, but it still gets things sharp enough
Thank you. That is very helpful and informative. It'll be good to throw that in wolfieboy's face next time he complains...

Yes, I admit, I helped a friend take some photos of her and her daughter on her iphone and was surprised at how fast the images shot.

I was wondering about the mx-1. Might go and take a look, although I wonder if it would be in my price range.

Yes, I was thinking of the k-5. I was surprised - I didn't realise it was also WR....
12-15-2014, 01:19 AM   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe the answer is to give the dog the camera, and get her to take a selfie.

12-15-2014, 01:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Just curious, what AF option do you have set in your k-01 (by the way, I have the k-01, so I know the limitation if any)? You said you have the Sigma 17-70/f.28 lens mounted, which should be fast enough to focus even in low light situation. Are you using the AF/AE-L button to lock focus?

Of course, there is always an easier p&s option for him, a cell phone...
No, haven't been using the AF/AE-L button. In fact, I don't think I've ever used it... Might do a few trials with that and see what happens.

...AF option?! I am starting to feel my lack of knowledge now...

Yes, he often uses his iphone. At the moment his screen is cracked in a million pieces, after an unfortunate drop from the couch....
12-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #21
Veteran Member

As everyone has said the K-01 just doesn't focus that fast and even if you mash the shutter button it won't release until the camera thinks it has focus lock. It's been a while since I've looked but I think that the K-01 allows you to set either focus or shutter release priority (I know the K5ii does) that will let the shutter release whether the camera thinks it has focus or not, you'll get a lot of quickly shot out of focus pictures. Not an ideal solution. Look in the Menu in the section all the way to the right for that setting.

In manual focus mode it will take a shot the instant the shutter is depressed. So you could set the lens to 17mm and F4, put the camera in manual focus mode and focus the lens at about 8.5 feet. Then he'll be able to snap away and most everything in the 4 feet away or more range will more or less be in focus. Add in a flash and you can bump the F-stop to 16 and get everything from about 1.5 feet to infinity in decent focus.

Otherwise, you could always be sarcastic and tell him "Yes, there are cameras and lenses that autofocus instantly and take a picture just as instantly. A Nikon D4s, or Canon 1D-X cost around 7000 plus a few thousand more for lenses, which brand would you like to buy for me? Also I will need a physical therapist on 24/7/365 standby."

On a more serious note, a DSLR with a good lens will be WAY faster than the K-01. There's also the option of throwing a flash on the camera which will not make it focus faster but will allow you to shoot at slower shutter speeds, lower ISOs and higher F-stops which will help with getting things in focus and stopping motion. And the image quality should be higher as well. Just, point the flash at the ceiling, or anywhere except straight forward really.

The real key is to explain that you have to operate the camera. It isn't magic. It needs a human brain running the show to work the best it can.
12-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote

snip...
Otherwise, you could always be sarcastic and tell him "Yes, there are cameras and lenses that autofocus instantly and take a picture just as instantly. A Nikon D4s, or Canon 1D-X cost around 7000 plus a few thousand more for lenses, which brand would you like to buy for me? Also I will need a physical therapist on 24/7/365 standby."
A cell phone would just be as easy although the IQ would not be as good as D4/1D... but the OP's main concern is to get the shot. ;P

---------- Post added 12-15-2014 at 11:22 AM ----------

No, haven't been using the AF/AE-L button. In fact, I don't think I've ever used it... Might do a few trials with that and see what happens.

...AF option?! I am starting to feel my lack of knowledge now...
If you go the shooting menu tab 1, select from "AF/MF setting" - select "tracking"....
also, in shooting menu tab 3, select button customization - select AF/AE-L to enable AF2,
then you are all set to go... very simple,

When shooting with the LCD, you can see the small square (which is your focus point) in the middle of the screen, try to move the square over on top of the subject you want to focus, press and hold the AF/AE-L button to lock focus, recompose if needed, then press shutter release button. How difficult is it? You will be happy to know that you just snapped a well focussed picture - I bet you that it is much better than the one taken with the cell phone. Your k-01 is a great tool to use and learn... don't let it sit there.

12-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

If you go the shooting menu tab 1, select from "AF/MF setting" - select "tracking"....
Are you sure?? I never liked tracking. I prefer one of the bottom two choices (the square, either fixed or movable). And then before taking photos I also press Ok and then scroll the edial to make the AF area square as small as possible, to be most precise.
also, in shooting menu tab 3, select button customization - select AF/AE-L to enable AF2,
Yes, I like this. Then you use the thumb on your right hand to press the AF/AE-L button for focusing, and the shutter button has no effect on AF, only shutter. This gives the photographer more control and prevents the camera from looking for focus every time, even if the focus doesn't change between frames.
12-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Show him how to focus, then shoot. See what wolfboy has to say.

Wait, is wolfboy the dog?

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
1/4000, That is a very high speed for night.
It's ok, the ISO was maxed out.
12-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Are you sure?? I never liked tracking. I prefer one of the bottom two choices (the square, either fixed or movable). And then before taking photos I also press Ok and then scroll the edial to make the AF area square as small as possible, to be most precise.
Yes, I like this. Then you use the thumb on your right hand to press the AF/AE-L button for focusing, and the shutter button has no effect on AF, only shutter. This gives the photographer more control and prevents the camera from looking for focus every time, even if the focus doesn't change between frames.
What 'tracking' does is to allow you to slightly move the camera to recompose.... it is different from tracking a moving subject. This is a very user friendly tool - try it, you will like it. It is like in the old days (1-2-3 steps) as in 1) focus (use AF/AE-L) button and then 2) recompose, then 3) shutter.
12-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all your helps guys. All very helpful!

Will try them and put it back in his hands and see what he says.

On the plus side, you are helping me to curb my LBA. On the other side, you are helping me to curb my LBA!!!!
12-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Thanks for all your helps guys. All very helpful!

Will try them and put it back in his hands and see what he says.

On the plus side, you are helping me to curb my LBA. On the other side, you are helping me to curb my LBA!!!!
Just as an aside (since I didn't see it mentioned), was the camera on auto and was the AE light enabled? Because that's going to add a few beats to any picture while the camera works its mojo, and that would go for a P&S just as much as with a DSLR there.
12-16-2014, 02:58 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Just as an aside (since I didn't see it mentioned), was the camera on auto and was the AE light enabled? Because that's going to add a few beats to any picture while the camera works its mojo, and that would go for a P&S just as much as with a DSLR there.
How do I check if the AE light is enabled or not?
12-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #29
Veteran Member

How do I check if the AE light is enabled or not?
My K-30 is down for the moment (won't even turn on), but if I remember right, its a setting somewhere in the menus.

Alternatively, point the camera at something in the dark and if you see a bright light (was green with the K-30, I assume the same for the K-01) on the subject then the AF light is running.

With my K-30 that always added a bit of time to my initial shot as the camera tried to figure out what I was doing. Of course with the light turned off, the camera (probably) won't be able to focus so its kind of a necessary evil.

Again, even a point and shoot will have this same system in place, just P&S's have such a huge depth of field that it takes a fraction of the time to do its thing, and half the time will be in focus regardless of whether it tried or not for the same reason.
12-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
My K-30 is down for the moment (won't even turn on), but if I remember right, its a setting somewhere in the menus.

Alternatively, point the camera at something in the dark and if you see a bright light (was green with the K-30, I assume the same for the K-01) on the subject then the AF light is running.

With my K-30 that always added a bit of time to my initial shot as the camera tried to figure out what I was doing. Of course with the light turned off, the camera (probably) won't be able to focus so its kind of a necessary evil.

Again, even a point and shoot will have this same system in place, just P&S's have such a huge depth of field that it takes a fraction of the time to do its thing, and half the time will be in focus regardless of whether it tried or not for the same reason.
*nods* I've seen that green light on in the dark. So I'd assume the AF light is running. I've put the k-01 on tracking and focus on af button. Am now waiting for wolfieboy to spot a photo op so I can hand him the camera and try and gently reteach him the basics