Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

What does CTE do and when to use it?

Hello,

I am trying to learn the features of my new K-3 and found "CTE" as one of the white balance presets. The manual does not explain what it is and how/when to use it. According to the manual CTE stands for Color Temperature Enhancement. A quick google search reveaded some information about enhancing the predominant color. So when does one use this mode? So if I am shooting a field of red roses, does this preset make red more predominant... as in increase saturation? How does it effect other parts of the photo that are not red?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

12-14-2014, 05:49 PM - 2 Likes   #2

It pertains to the overall white balance color temperature, not with the colors of the images you're shooting per se. It takes the color cast of the environment you're in and instead of neutraling the white/grays, it amplifies the effect. So, a warm sunset scene will be even warmer (like what sunset scene mode does). Similarly, a cool blueish cast will be even cooler. It's fun to play with...give it a try.
12-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CTE selects a WB that amplifies the colours. I quite like it for sunsets, snowy landscapes, and things like that. But sometimes it may be overbearing and make colours a bit unnatural. Since I shoot raw, I don't mind - I can always select a regular WB anyway. The CTE only affects WB, not any other saturation, so if you choose Vibrant or Bright or Landscape, those will change individual colours (and contrast, sharpening, etc.) after the WB was applied.
But I am not sure what exactly the CTE mode does, in terms of algorithms and so on. Would be cool if anyone could explain how it chooses the specific WB that it does. Also, is CTE a Pentax specialty? Or do other brands have this WB option, as well?
12-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you folks. This forum is really useful, as there are not many Pentax resources out there. No youtube videos or articles explaining all the camera features in detail. It would have been nice if someone made a tutorial video (similar to the ones made for Canon/Nikon by 3rd party youtubers). I got my camera but I am still waiting for my lens to arrive. So I can't test something out to see what it does .

12-14-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter

So, a warm sunset scene will be even warmer (like what sunset scene mode does). Similarly, a cool blueish cast will be even cooler. It's fun to play with...give it a try.

^^^ This is basically the answer I got from a Pentax rep at their downtown Denver office a couple of years ago during a PR event for the announcement of the K30. He did seem to believe at the time that aside from specific scene modes in other brands, CTE was uniquely Pentax.
12-15-2014, 12:27 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
It will interesting to see the results of a mix of CTE with ND filters . Any sample pictures ?
12-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, I don't like CTE in shade, because then the photo is very blueish. I prefer it for scenes that are warm (AWB would just try to make them "neutral", so don't use that for sunsets) or have no colour (beach, rocks, snow).
I use it often, but I don't know how to easily find sample photos, because I can't really "search" for them in LR..