Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What tripod to use with K-3?

With my old canon, I used a Benro aluminium tripod with a B-1 ball head. It served me well even in rough conditions. I think it can still handle the weight of K-3 with a light lens. But when I add a slightly heavy lens (Rokinon 14 mm) the ball head started to sag a little. I took a 10 second exposure and noticed the sag. Any tripods you recommend? I am not looking for super heavy tripods as I carry it around while travelling. I need something that's relatively light/portable.... of course it cant be cheap if its light and sturdy. I am looking for something that can hold K-3 with a lens as heavy as Rokinon 14 mm. Any suggestions? Not sure of the budget. If it were up to me, I don't want to spend more than $300 but all the articles online recommend against buying a cheap tripod. If there is something for under $300 that can handle K-3 with a decent weight lens, I would prefer that.

Thanks.

12-16-2014, 01:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why you just not exchange the head??? If the tripod is sturdy enough just get the head which can handle more weight and you are good to go. I have older Manfrotto 808RC4 head and do not have problems at all with K-3+grip and some heavy lenses. This head can handle up to 8kg. Just my 2c.
12-16-2014, 01:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The head is attached to my tripod. Can't seem to separate it. I tried. This is what I have - Benro A-269M8 Travel Angel Aluminum Tripod with B-1 458-269 B&H
12-16-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
i don't know the specifics of your benro tripod but if its strong enough you just can change the ballhead.
i use the Sirui T-1005X (up to 10 kg) with the G20X (20 kg) and am quite happy with it. it is aluminium too, both for about €180. if you want something lighter there are also carbon versions.
i was also thinking about the Sirui T-025X (~€200, carbon and a smaler ballhead included).

Last edited by othar; 12-16-2014 at 01:55 AM.
12-16-2014, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The head can be dismantled... check here for the manual and how to get it off. Google is your best friend but if you looked in your manual there is how to do it...
12-16-2014, 04:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As RAART said, they came together but that was a kit sale. The legs and head do come apart. Ball heads are more likely to show sag over long exposures than other types of head. I usually cut the weight rating in half when looking at gear. My big setup weighs nearly 7kg so my gear needs to be rated at 14kg or higher by my reckoning.
12-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
As RAART said, they came together but that was a kit sale. The legs and head do come apart. Ball heads are more likely to show sag over long exposures than other types of head. I usually cut the weight rating in half when looking at gear. My big setup weighs nearly 7kg so my gear needs to be rated at 14kg or higher by my reckoning.
2nd that. For lightweight, compact, I have a Mefoto Globe Trotter. Rated for 26 lbs, which will handle anything I'll travel with, and weighs 4.6 lbs. I like having the extra capacity to allow me to press down firmly at the top of the legs in windy conditions to help dampen vibration. I can put a lot of weight on the tripod even with my K5/DA 300 attached and the legs won't slip.

12-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you add a "focussing slider" to your setup (e.g. Kirk Enterprises : Long Rail Plate-Macro) and use that to attach to the bottom of your camera, and then find the "balance point" along the rail (it will be different for each lens), you will be able to continue to use your old head (at least horizontally).

YMMV

Michael
12-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Your 14mm lens is not very heavy nor long, so I'm surprised it overwhelms your B-1 ballhead. Try tightening the ballhead a little more.

You can also try to get some of the balancing effect that Michael mentions just by sliding your quick release plate a bit further back on the tripod. Don't go too far back because you still need enough contact area to hold the plate, but 1/3 the release plate might make enough difference to keep your K-3 plus 14mm from sagging.

Or add a longer plate to allow for more balancing adjustment. I think http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/659043-REG/Induro_459_070_PU_70_Extra_...l/prm/alsVwDtl is compatible with the B-1 head.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 12-16-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Corrected link