Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #1

HDRI-Auto Bracketing

Hello everyone.
I have a problem shooting hdri-panoramas: I canīt find a setting to shoot 3 exposure bracketings (?) with exact same aperture.
For example: I try to shoot a 360° Panorama made of 12x3 images. In the first shot I make my settings like aperture 11, three shots with 1/350sec., 1/90sec. & 1/20sec every next imagerow shall have the same setting.
I thought that the av-mode should be right but exposure-time changes depending on the light(?)-not really, sometimes, sometimes not. Has it something to do with the exposure-timer in the C-Menue of the camera? Is there a possibillity to lock settings for a longer time?

In the M(anual)-Mode I canīt lock the aperture.

Sorry for my bad english, thanks for your help.
OlliO

05-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
Inactive Account

You should just keep your camera in full manual mode if you're having problems.

Set your aperature and then just adjust the shutter speeds +/- 1 stop or so.

Your Aperature shouldn't move at all. I'm unsure how exposure lock would affect this, or if any camera menu could affect this. With full manual, though, your aperature shouldn't be changing unless you're doing the adjustments.
05-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You can also use Av, that should lock the aperture with bracketting.
05-26-2008, 04:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
Aperture always changes in M-Mode while auto-bracketing.
In AV mode exposuretime(s) are locked for some seconds and then gone.

I read something about keeping the finger on the AE-L button while shooting the rows. But thatīs very uncomfortable :-(

05-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #5

Go to Custom Setting and set the n.26 (Green Button in TAv & M) to 2 (Tv Shift)

In this way, when you are in manual mode with the bracketing mode activated, only the shutter speed will shift while the aperture will remain the same

bye

AlbertoM
05-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #6

Couldn't you just lock the aperture on the av ring on the lens(instead of having it set on A have it set on whatever apeture you want) and just set the rest in M mode?
05-28-2008, 02:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always use Av mode for autobracketing and i've never had the aperture change. It remains constant while shutter speed varies. I have been doing a heap of HDR recently so i have shot a lot in autobracket mode. BTW, i have a k100d.

mike

05-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If I'm correct, you're trying to create and HDR Panoramic. I would do this in full manual mode without auto bracketing. I would bracket the first shot in the pano, write down the exposure settings for each shot and use those exact settings. And have a sturdy tripod! Stitch the shots then go for the HDR treatment.

But if you want to lock the aperture, use the Av mode.
05-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
I always use Av mode for autobracketing and i've never had the aperture change. It remains constant while shutter speed varies. I have been doing a heap of HDR recently so i have shot a lot in autobracket mode. BTW, i have a k100d.

mike
That is exactly as it should work and it so for me, too. After all, Av is Aperture priority...

Ben
05-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I've never done HDR panoramas yet, but I do know that half of you did not understand the original post.

Only maccalb gave the correct answer(i think , i didn't test it out yet).

The key for HDR panoramas is to do autobracketing with the same starting aperature AND shutter speed, while having the autobraketing changing the shutter speed only.
05-31-2008, 02:29 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the answers.
@jshurak: Thats no way of making sharp and low-error hdr-panoramas. Time is an important factor.
@fannibal: Thatīs exact the point!
@maccalb: Which mode are you using? The AV or the M-Mode?
I was playing around with the settings for hours and made about 500 Testrows. In M-Mode while autobracketing aperture allways changes.

But in AV mode i managed to lock aperture and having the same "exposuretime-rows" (for a while) by pressing the AE-L (lock) button.

Iīm not really satisfied with all the program-modes of the k10D. Most of them I never need. Iīd like to have a real manual mode where I can change and lock every parameter.

OlliO
05-31-2008, 02:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ollio Quote
Thanks a lot for the answers.
@jshurak: Thats no way of making sharp and low-error hdr-panoramas. Time is an important factor.
@fannibal: Thatīs exact the point!
@maccalb: Which mode are you using? The AV or the M-Mode?
I was playing around with the settings for hours and made about 500 Testrows. In M-Mode while autobracketing aperture allways changes.

But in AV mode i managed to lock aperture and having the same "exposuretime-rows" (for a while) by pressing the AE-L (lock) button.

Iīm not really satisfied with all the program-modes of the k10D. Most of them I never need. Iīd like to have a real manual mode where I can change and lock every parameter.

OlliO
In M mode, with auto ISO off, YOU have full control over everything. If you push the auto -bracket, you give some of the control back to the camera, and the camera doesn't know what you want. You just can't have your cake and eat it too.
05-31-2008, 04:36 AM   #13

Ollio, I've said n. 26 because I have the K20

I don't know the exact number of the equivalent custom function in the K10, but its name in english is "Green Btn in Manual" and you had to set it to "2" (Tv Shift)

Then, if you go to manual mode and set for example 1/125 f/8, if you have the bracketing activated (+/- 1), every time you keep pressed the shutter release button you obtain three shots: 1/125 f/8 , 1/60 f/8 , 1/250 f/8 independently of the exposure measured by the camera

So you can take all pictures you want and at the end stitch three planes separately, one exposed at 1/125 f/8, one exposed at 1/60 f/8 and one exposed at 1/250 f/8

Last edited by maccalb; 05-31-2008 at 06:54 AM.
05-31-2008, 08:58 AM   #14
Forum Member

thats a good idea, i never tried to make a hdr panorama before.
should be awesome