Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2007, 11:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Serenity

QuoteOriginally posted by ccallana Quote
I've had a few of those - they typically don't line up from LCD to computer though. What I see on the LCD sometimes is better/worse than what comes out on the PC screen.

Like this one:

On the camera the sky is all blown out - I didn't think it was that good - got it on the PC, did some tweaking/cropping - and it was like "wow - thats pretty good" - you may not like it - but I do
I Love this image. So serene and tranquil.

02-02-2007, 06:36 AM   #17
Inactive Account

I get those "Oh Yeah!" moments once in a while behind the lens, but much more often in front of the computer screen.

My favorite photo of all time, other then my daughters wedding photos, is one I took at the direction of my wife. It was a turn, point and shoot that took all of 2 seconds to compose and press the shutter.

This shot was forgotten in the camera until I downloaded the card into the computer and started sorting, about one week after it was taken. The more I looked at it the better I liked it, until it has become my favorite.

Most of my best work is “discovered” in processing. In the beginning I would delete about 50% of my exposures as poor or flawed compositions or having technical problems (focus, i.e.). Now I would say that 95% of them are worthy of keeping, but I never know for sure until I get them on the computer.
02-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Windwalker Quote
I get those "Oh Yeah!" moments once in a while behind the lens, but much more often in front of the computer screen.

My favorite photo of all time, other then my daughters wedding photos, is one I took at the direction of my wife. It was a turn, point and shoot that took all of 2 seconds to compose and press the shutter.

This shot was forgotten in the camera until I downloaded the card into the computer and started sorting, about one week after it was taken. The more I looked at it the better I liked it, until it has become my favorite.

Most of my best work is “discovered” in processing. In the beginning I would delete about 50% of my exposures as poor or flawed compositions or having technical problems (focus, i.e.). Now I would say that 95% of them are worthy of keeping, but I never know for sure until I get them on the computer.
Hi Windwalker, I agree with you somewhat. There have been a few shot's I've taken that I didn't think much of at the time, but when I opened them on my rig, I saw something I had missed when making the shot. The following is a perfect example of that. I remember watching the stupid goldfish mosey all over the place, anywhere but near the lily pads, I was even muttering "move over to the pads you stupid fish!" Finally it moved over there and I hit the shutter, but I didn't think much of the shot. In fact the whole folder sat on my hard drive for over a month before I even began looking that the shots there in. I opened this one and went whoa! This one is GOOD!
taken with the DS FA 50mm 1.4

BTW I love your shot! What in the world is that pig doing there? And how come almost everybody is ignoring it? Is it stuffed? Very interesting photo.

NaCl(sometimes you don't know what you have)H2O
02-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
BTW I love your shot! What in the world is that pig doing there? And how come almost everybody is ignoring it? Is it stuffed? Very interesting photo.
The pig is a bronze bank, that's right, a life size piggy bank!

It's in the Pike Place Market in Seattle and donations (the money that goes into the bank) are used to keep up the market. In case you know the market at all, it's right in front of those nuts that throw the fish.

Here is a paragraph from the Pike Place Market Foundation.

"Rachel, the Market's bronze piggybank, has been bringing in the bacon for the Market Foundation since the Market's 79th birthday in 1986. People from all over the world feed Rachel with pennies, quarters, checks, pesos, lira, yen, and rials, contributing $6,000 to $9,000 to the Market Foundation each year.

Rachel weighs in at 550 pounds and was created by Georgia Gerber, a sculptor living on Whidbey Island, Washington. She was named after a real 750-pound pig named Rachel, the 1985 winner of the Island County Fair. Rachel's favorite holiday is March 1, National Pig Day."

Us Seattle folks are a little strange, most have something to do with the lack of sunlight.

Last edited by Windwalker; 02-02-2007 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling
02-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Windwalker, unfortunately the last time I was in Seattle was in 1969, a bit before Rachel's time. But they were still throwing fish, even back then. I'm sure that's probabaly the onliest thing I'd stll recognise about your city. I still hope to get out to the great PNW some day...maybe after I retire. BTW, I've heard that on a per capita basis, more sunglasses get sold in Seattle than in any other major city in the US. The reason given is that they are used so rarely they always get lost.

NaCl(liquid sunshine I think it's called)H2O
02-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Windwalker, I agree with you somewhat. ......sat on my hard drive for over a month before I even began looking that the shots there in. I opened this one and went whoa! This one is GOOD!
Yer not wrong!
02-04-2007, 07:39 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Rolly! I appreciate the kind words.

NaCl(much better then listening to the critic in my head...)H2O