Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2007, 09:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K10D with AF 500 flash?

I have the K10D and unfortunately I have only the AF-500 flash which I don't beleive is fully compatible. What mode do I actually put the camera in to shoot. I will be shooting important graduation pics in a dimly lit restuarant and need help. Thanks.
ALso, what mode to put the flash in

02-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
Forum Member

I don't have this combo, but know that the 500 isn't quite compatible. You can't fire in auto because the 500 is a TTL flash. The K10D supports P-TTL only, so you'll need to handle things in manual...
02-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
Sorry for the beginner responses but when using the flash manually what 's the best method for tgetting a good picture? X mode where camera uses 1/180 shutter and I adjust aperture manually?
02-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually "auto" and TTL/P-TTL are completely different. The 500 ftz does have an auto mode that you can use, but you have to put the camera in manual because the camera and flash will not comunicate in that mode. In auto mode the flash reads light bouncing back at it and shuts itself off - it becomes and "auto thyristor" flash.

For getting good flash exposures in manual I prefer to be in manual mode on the camera. Your meter will tell you where our settings stand with the ambient light allowing you to determine the ratio of ambient and flash exposures.

02-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the response..so I looked and the auto on the flash says TTL, which is not compatible with the K10D. So, if I put the flash onto manual and the camera on manual when looking at the meter what should the meter read before pressing the shutter in order to get good exposure. WHat is the X mode for and would it apply here. Thanks.

PS- I just returned the flash. The 540 is on the way...

Last edited by sharpshoota; 02-01-2007 at 04:10 PM.
02-01-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
The 500 ftz does have an auto mode that you can use, but you have to put the camera in manual because the camera and flash will not comunicate in that mode. In auto mode the flash reads light bouncing back at it and shuts itself off - it becomes and "auto thyristor" flash.
Actually, although otherwise well-spec'ed (TTL-Auto, Manual, Trailing-shutter, Contrast-control, Multiple-burst, Spotbeam and Slave modes), the FTZ500 does not have an "auto thyristor" mode, surprising though that may be for such a relatively expensive flash. (It's older, cheaper predecessor the AF280T did have such a mode).

It's a shame, but on the K10 it is only usable in manual mode. I have replaced mine with the AF540FGZ.

dave
02-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharpshoota Quote
I have the K10D and unfortunately I have only the AF-500 flash which I don't beleive is fully compatible. What mode do I actually put the camera in to shoot. I will be shooting important graduation pics in a dimly lit restuarant and need help. Thanks.

after owning the 500 since chritmas, I found out the hard way that the most important thing is.....
1) for some reason it functions best if I turn on my K10 first, place the flash on the shoe turned off, then turn it on.
2) make sure that the flash unit lines up EXACTLY in the right place on top of the k10 shoe.
update your firmware on the K10
here is what I do...
make sure the flash is in default.... meaning no adjusting it. zoom your lens a few times to make sure that the zoom on the flash equals the zoom of the lens (if it is in fact a zoom lens) sometimes you need to push your shutter button half way down to start the zoom motor of the flash.
If the 500 doesn't make the "zoom" sound, then very lightly wiggle it on top of the shoe and try again, once the zoom is in sync with the lens zoom, you should get good results with your flash photos. I put the k10's pop up flash on manual and leave the setting on auto (flash on and auto)
one thing I noticed that if you leave the k10 on auto program mode, and the 500 on auto as well, the k10 tends to choose a high ISO in order to make the most of the ambient light in the room.
if you want a clearer shot with less noise, make sure you set the k10 to a lower ISO. A lot of time ISO 400 gives a good balance between sharpness, noise and ambient light mix.
I just bought the lightsphere after a few tries with home made. the home made versions work fine, but the lightsphere has a more professional look to it that goes a long way towards the "image" needed if you want to sell a shot or two to events like our daughter's cheerleading.
it also seems to have the edge on quality of light as well. I got the clear version, and if I want more difusion, I add something like wax paper inside.

so far I have tried the above situations and the photos have been fairly conistantly lit.
I also tried the wireless flash mode with the K10 and the 500 and if you follow the instructions closely, it works excellent.

can't help you on all the other features of the 500 as I am not that far advanced

02-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
Actually, although otherwise well-spec'ed (TTL-Auto, Manual, Trailing-shutter, Contrast-control, Multiple-burst, Spotbeam and Slave modes), the FTZ500 does not have an "auto thyristor" mode, surprising though that may be for such a relatively expensive flash. (It's older, cheaper predecessor the AF280T did have such a mode).

It's a shame, but on the K10 it is only usable in manual mode. I have replaced mine with the AF540FGZ.

dave
I coulda swore it did, my bad. I used one a few times with my PZ-1P but never with my digitals. I also have the 540, which is perfect for the K10.
02-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sharpshoota Quote
When I bought my K10D I also discovered that the AF500FTZ was not compatible, and was disappointed at the time, That disappointment faded when I bought the AF540FGZ, because it has P-TTL, TTL and Auto mode with a flash mounted sensor. What this means for all those who are frustrated by the lack of TTL/P-TTL flash metering on the digital cameras when using original K mount lenses without the A apature setting is that you can get the old fashoned flash exposure control. This is a definite step forward until someone convinces Pentax to use the green button in flash mode to "learn" the change in apature from wide open to the F stop setting on the manual lenses.