Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2008, 11:58 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by G M Fude Quote
Yes, there are numerous variations. "Duck's guts" is another, although in fitting with this thread perhaps "duckz gutz" would be more appropriate.
Thought it was duck's nuts?

And thus, the great Aussie slang debate started.

05-25-2008, 12:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by G M Fude Quote
Yes, there are numerous variations. "Duck's guts" is another, although in fitting with this thread perhaps "duckz gutz" would be more appropriate.
My favorite "brother-in-lawism" is "Flat out like a lizard drinking."

I think it means "to be in a hurry"
05-25-2008, 12:18 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
too bad a group of us couldn't combine our buying power to get a discount. I inquired w/ this company and they said that with purchase of 20 units, a 20% discount could be gotten. Bad thing was that all of the items had to be shipped to a single address. I'm 90% sure I will be ordering one soon too... thanks for the review!
05-25-2008, 01:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Thought it was duck's nuts?

And thus, the great Aussie slang debate started.
Yep....definately "ducks nuts"....at least it was in our house anyway.

05-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #20
Banned

QuoteQuote:
How does it affect metering? Has anyone tried it with a variety of lenses? Does it improve metering with M lenses on the K10D specifically?
according to the Katz Eye website it has no effect on metering.
05-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I have a Katz Eye screen in one of my K10D bodies and took a risk and bought two cheap split prism focusing screens via eBay for my second K10D and my old DL.

Both the cheap eBay split prism screens work just as well and are just as accurate as the Katz Eye screen with no obvious impact to metering. Those two split prism screens together including shipping cost less than the one Katz Eye screen cost BEFORE shipping.

Although I love the Katz Eye screen in my one K10D, I have to say the cheap screens in my other two cameras work just as well for a fraction of the cost.

This is the eBay seller I purchased from.

eBay Store - RJ camera accessory store: split image focusing screen:

I'm pretty sure several other people in this forum have purchased split prism screens from this ebay seller as well. The one thing I'll mention is that I didn't need the "shim" included with the screen when mounting the cheap screen in my K10D, but I had to use the shim when I mounted the cheap screen in my DL. I just thought I'd mention it so you don't throw away the tiny U-shaped shim that comes with the screen if you purchase the screen from the ebay seller (you might need it) depending on the camera.
05-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I have no experience with third-party focusing screens. They may indeed be great.

I would just note that, with the Katz Eye product, you're not just buying the screen, you're buying excellent support. I've had a number of exchanges with Rachel Katz, who seems to be the proprietress of the operation, and she has been prompt in her responses, and always helpful.

Will
05-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
I have a Katz Eye screen in one of my K10D bodies and took a risk and bought two cheap split prism focusing screens via eBay for my second K10D and my old DL.

Both the cheap eBay split prism screens work just as well and are just as accurate as the Katz Eye screen with no obvious impact to metering. Those two split prism screens together including shipping cost less than the one Katz Eye screen cost BEFORE shipping.

Although I love the Katz Eye screen in my one K10D, I have to say the cheap screens in my other two cameras work just as well for a fraction of the cost.

I'm pretty sure several other people in this forum have purchased split prism screens from this ebay seller as well. The one thing I'll mention is that I didn't need the "shim" included with the screen when mounting the cheap screen in my K10D, but I had to use the shim when I mounted the cheap screen in my DL. I just thought I'd mention it so you don't throw away the tiny U-shaped shim that comes with the screen if you purchase the screen from the ebay seller (you might need it) depending on the camera.
is there a differece as to how quickly the screens tend to darken when using a smaller aperture? I heard this is the biggest difference b/t the katz eye and the ebay ones, but I don't think I've heard for sure from someone who owned both.

Thanks in advance!

05-26-2008, 05:44 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
is there a difference as to how quickly the screens tend to darken when using a smaller aperture? I heard this is the biggest difference b/t the katz eye and the ebay ones, but I don't think I've heard for sure from someone who owned both.

Thanks in advance!
The Katz Eye screen that I purchased for my K10D included the "OptiBrite brightness enhancement" ($55 extra) and the rule of thirds grid lines ($45 extra) which brought the total to $205 before shipping.

The ebay screens I purchased were both the "45 degree split, Grid line version" which look like the attached image ... each which came to less than $45 after shipping (less than $90 total for two screens).

I honestly can't tell a difference between the two types of screens in terms of prism darkening. For example, if I mount my cheap 500mm f/8 fixed aperture mirror lens to my cameras and try to focus indoors with a single lamp light I can "barely" see the darkened prism enough to manually focus ... but I can indeed focus with both indoors at f8 (just slowly since it's hard to see.) Both the Katz Eye with OptiBrite and the cheap ebay screens seem equally bright to me.

Again, don't get me wrong. My Katz Eye screen is great and (as others have said) Katz Eye support/service is wonderful. However, unless you just have obscene amounts of disposable income I don't really see the point of paying so much more for a split prism screen that (in my opinion) works no better than a cheap split prism screen from a Chinese ebay seller.

Last edited by JJJPhoto; 09-01-2008 at 05:02 AM.
05-26-2008, 05:47 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote

I bought mine from the same eBay seller. I have also installed it on my k10d with no use of the included shim. The screen works very well. Combining this screen and the O-ME53 eye-piece magnifier, I can MF accurately 99% of the time.

Mine is a 45 degree split screen, plain version without grid line. It costs $30 inclusive of shipping.

I also bought from the same seller (i.e. saved shipping cost) a tool kit for changing split screen. The kit costs $4 and consists of a plastic/silicon-tipped tweezer, a metal tweezer, and two finger groves - one each for the thumb and the index finger. The metal tweezer is used for opening and closing the metal frame which holds the focusing screen inside the k10d, while the plastic tweezer is for handling the split screen with no risk of scratching it. The groves are for those moments when you need to manipulate the split screen with your fingers and yet leave no finger prints on the screen.

Let me state that I have not used Katz Eye. I read that its product is tailor made to suit each camera and its customer support is excellent. But you get what you paid for. I am simply pointing out a cheap option for those who need little support from the supplier and are happy to save a few tens of dollars. So everyone's mileage is different.

Last edited by dancheng; 05-26-2008 at 06:27 AM.
05-26-2008, 06:59 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Will fitting the Katz Eye not void the k20D warranty?
I have had discussions about this with pentax, specifically asking them to consider calibrating my meter for a non standard focusing screen.

in a word, they said NO. Pentax would consider that a customization and they do not do it. Period!

Having said that, I believe the real answer is that pentax made the focusing screnes interchangeable and offer optional ones, therefore as long as your camera is sent to pentax for a warranty repair, and there is a pentax focusing screen made for that camera in the camera, and the problem is not related to obvious damage to the camera by incorrect instalation of the focusing screen, there is not an issue with warranty in my opinion.
05-26-2008, 07:12 AM   #27
Veteran Member

If you decide to go with a screen from Katz, I would go against the opti-brite coating. Here's why:

The coating increases light transmission to the eye, and decreases light transmission to the light metering sensor, thus causing the K10D (in my experience) to slightly over-expose at closed-down apertures. Without the opti-brite, you get the opposite, and counter that effect. I use m42 lenses only...and if I were to do it again wouldn't get the coating.
05-26-2008, 07:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
My favorite "brother-in-lawism" is "Flat out like a lizard drinking."

I think it means "to be in a hurry"
It can be taken both ways ... it depends on the person though.
Either it means to be busy ... or to be bored with nothing happening.
05-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
It can be taken both ways ... it depends on the person though.
Either it means to be busy ... or to be bored with nothing happening.

So, it can be interpreted either way...

It all is so clear now. My brother-in-law is a lawer!
05-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #30

Original Poster
Its Slang folks

Sorry for the confusion guy's. Iím originally from the south (GA) and the catís ass is slang. For example "thatís the cats ass right there" means a good thing, cool, nice or great. Hope this clears that up.
I did some research on those imported screens and wasnít impressed. They are thinner and require shims to install, sounds kind of cheep, low grade to me. Some people would be ok with them I guess. But in my years of experience Iíve learned the hard expensive way, that you usually get what you pay for.
So I will stick with my Katz Eyes. They really are great in my humble opinion.

Woody,