Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I know, if you have not done this before, it sounds a bit like brain surgery or at least gall bladder surgery on the camera.
Surely it's more like eye surgery?

05-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodyga Quote
I did some research on those imported screens and wasn’t impressed. They are thinner and require shims to install, sounds kind of cheep, low grade to me. Some people would be ok with them I guess. But in my years of experience I’ve learned the hard expensive way, that you usually get what you pay for.
So I will stick with my Katz Eyes. They really are great in my humble opinion.
Gotta add a little perspective here.

I have a cheapie. Cost about $30 shipped to me. It is in my K100 and I am lovin' life with it. Have not had a single problem, did not use any goofy shim.

Today I removed lenses and looked through the viewfinder of a P30 and my K100D for comparison. The difference was STRIKING, and I wish I had gotten a Katz Eye just to begin to approach the quality of the P30 screen.

In short, if you want first rate service and a top notch product with every confidence that the company will stand behind the product, Katz Eye is for you. The level of service and confidence inspiring testimonials are enough to have my business if I could spare the cabbage. Add the availability of options such as a grid and you've got a very desirable product.

Unfortunately, I run a single income household and am putting two daughters through college, so daddy's little toys get budget accessories. The cheap screen was a nice upgrade for me, I'm happy with it. The Katz Eye would have been even better, but I just can't get there from here.
05-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Here is my personal perspective.

My orginal intention was to try out manual focusing lens. I was not sure if I could live with MF lens or not. The focusing screen is a tool to help me make a decision to go the MF lens route or not. Owing to this uncertainty about MF or not MF, the cheapo focusing screen is the natural economical choice. For less than $90 (1 MF lens + 1 focusing split screen), I was already equiped to test out a Takuma 50mm lens using a cheapo split screen as the focusing tool.

As it turns out, I love using MF lens and the cheapo focusing screen is a wonderful tool with no problem at all. I did not use the shim that came with the screen and focusing was spot on. Hence there is no need for me to purchase the premiere tool - Katz Eye - and thus avoid paying a premium.

Last edited by dancheng; 05-27-2008 at 03:07 AM.
05-27-2008, 05:05 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread reminds me I need one of these. I am encouraged to try one out.

05-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
This thread reminds me I need one of these. I am encouraged to try one out.
Same thing here!

I have 4 manual lenses and 1 AF... def need the split screen!
05-27-2008, 11:22 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote

I have a cheapie. Cost about $30 shipped to me. It is in my K100 and I am lovin' life with it. Have not had a single problem, did not use any goofy shim.

Today I removed lenses and looked through the viewfinder of a P30 and my K100D for comparison. The difference was STRIKING, and I wish I had gotten a Katz Eye just to begin to approach the quality of the P30 screen.
You say the P30 screen is better than the "cheapie". What does this have to do with the Katz Eye? You dont have the Katz Eye. How can you say it is better or worse than the cheapie?
05-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Have you noticed any FF or BF issues with the Katz and K20D? I have and they range from + and - 5 for various Pentax lenses. My 43mm Ltd is a -10!

05-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #38
Igilligan

Did anyone answer Raiders question?

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Sorry I am not too good at this. Will the katz eye limit the AF to centre AF only? Can you still use k20D's 11 point AF points?
I would love to know the answer to this too... It may not limit but is the area where the off-center AF points are blurry?
05-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #39

Photos: Albums
The AF sensors are not affected by the focus screen. Only metering is affected by the focus screen, as the light meter is behind it. The AF sensors are below the mirror.
05-29-2008, 03:26 AM   #40

I believe the expression should be "The cat's whiskers"

Meanwhile, I seem to be the only person not happy with the KatzEye (standard model) screen on my K10D. It made the metering inconsistent. (And not in spot-metering mode, either. I never use it.)
05-29-2008, 04:19 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bought one

I "bit the bullet" or should that be "pulled the trigger" or can't we have a non-violent metaphor for "went ahead and bought the damned thing". Got the Chinese version with toolkit as mentioned above from same EBay seller.

Can't wait to see how this changes things. For the better I hope! Thanks for all the help here. Hope this doesn't become a case of the dreaded FBA.
05-29-2008, 04:41 AM   #42

I look forward to seeing what you think of it, as I really fancy a split prism screen. I tried a quick experiment yesterday, I swapped over old SMC lenses with my very old ME Super and my K10, and the spilt prism was so superior. Couple that with the dioptre correction on the K10 and I think it's likely to be a winning formula.
05-29-2008, 05:01 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't tell you how long it's been since I used a split screen on a film camera... it would surely date me. But I figure that for € 21 delivered I am not risking much. Just now I followed up with a different vendor and grabbed the Nikon DK-21M magnifying eyepiece for € 22. Everything I read says it works as well as the Pentax branded item and it's lots cheaper. I wear glasses so we'll see how that goes. I often take them off when using the camera; together with the +2 diopter correction I see better.
05-29-2008, 05:39 AM   #44
Veteran Member

It's great to read someone's opinion based on usage of BOTH the Katz eye, and another cheaper brand... (noting the service difference also).

I'm tempted to use an old Pentax zoom lens for a wedding (I'm not the prime shooter), and my only concern was not the resolution/sharpness, but the ability to focus quickly to get the shot before the subject moves or changes expression.
This discussion seems to make me think old manual lens are now a more viable solution in this scenario.
I realise back in the day, people only had manual focus, but back then I'd imagine people were also more at one with the technique. If it's something I only try every now and then, I'd need all the help I could get.

Now my mind is considering what detrimental affect the alternate screen has on using my auto focus lens usage... are the red focus indicators kinda blurred by the circle assist aids? Once installed, am I gonna be cursing whilst using AF lenses?

These replacement screens obviously seem great for manual focus, but what's the full story?

05-29-2008, 05:46 AM   #45
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I "bit the bullet" or should that be "pulled the trigger" or can't we have a non-violent metaphor for "went ahead and bought the damned thing". Got the Chinese version with toolkit as mentioned above from same EBay seller.

Can't wait to see how this changes things. For the better I hope! Thanks for all the help here. Hope this doesn't become a case of the dreaded FBA.
Note that you own a k100d super from your signature.

This pictorial guide will be handy, although it is not in English.

Good luck!