Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #1

Katz eye's are the Katz arse

Just installed my Katz Eye split prism focusing screen the other day in my K20D and it ROCKS!!!! I have several older manual focus lens. Because of my aging eyes I decided to try the katz eyes. Man what a big difference, it reminds me of my old film camera days. I even catch myself doing manual focus with my newer autofocus lens.

Woody,

05-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Banned

im glad it worked out for you, I have been toying with the idea of getting a split prism as well, since I only use MF lenses.
05-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the K20 as well and often struggle to achieve precise focus. I have been trying to learn which focus screen is the best choice for me. This post may just seal the deal for me--thank you, very much, for this information.

Ernest
05-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

After reading several good things about Katz Eye, I ordered one last week. I'm glad to hear a report from another happy customer.

05-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd definitely want a Katz Eye for my K100D. Now if I could only find the money... :ugh:

By the way, can anybody explain what effect the focusing screen has on the metering?
05-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

"Katz arse" in the name of this thread made it sound as if the OP was going to be complaining about the Katz Eye focusing screen. Guess not.

My Katz Eye makes me want to use Pentax auto-focus lenses that have that ability to fine-tune the focus after the camera's auto-focus has done its best. I've started keeping the Pentax 16-45 f/4 on my K20D (which has the Katz Eye screen) rather than my favorite Sigma lens, for this reason.

Will
05-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Will fitting the Katz Eye not void the k20D warranty?

05-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Will fitting the Katz Eye not void the k20D warranty?
I do not claim to know the true answer to that question, so don't yell at me if I'm wrong.

But if I thought it voided the warranty I would not have installed it myself. The focusing screen is designed to be replaced. I know, if you have not done this before, it sounds a bit like brain surgery or at least gall bladder surgery on the camera. But it's not. It's much more like putting RAM into a computer that has been designed so that users can easily replace RAM.

Now, if you're a klutz, you shouldn't do this. If you spill a can of Coke into the camera while you're working, or you drop your tweezers carelessly into the innards of the camera, well, you could do some damage and you might have trouble explaining it to Pentax repair. Forget about spilling. If you're the kind of person who would be likely to have a can of Coke anywhere near the camera while you try this, then you should not try this.

But if you're not a klutz, and if you're capable of following precise instructions, then it's not really very hard to take the focusing screen out and replace it. I am not an engineer or a super handiman or an electronics whiz of any kind, but I found it quite simple.

Will
05-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have to admit that the title of this thread does impart quite a disturbing visual...

Pat
05-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Seems Katz Eye makes more people happy than any other brand, even if some keep saying cheapest chinese == happy *Shrug*

What i'd like to know is if the focusing screen affects metering for you, if yes in which way (according to other threads it should even be positive)
I am particularly interested in spot metering with manual lenses, in particular with M42 lenses if you have any, where the black out of the split prism would be most noticable.

Thanks,

Daniel
05-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

At this point in time, I wonder what looking through a the viewfinder without a focussing screen would be like...
05-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
At this point in time, I wonder what looking through a the viewfinder without a focussing screen would be like...
It would look like a bright spot with no definition, like a LF camera with no ground glass.

I have a katz eye in my K10D and love it. I would not want another camera without one. I find myself focusing manually 95% of the time now because it is so easy and so much more accurate; no matter what lens I'm using.
05-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Is "Cat's Arse" slang for great? Kind of like "the bee's knees"? Just wondering. It took me months to understand what my Australian brother in law was going on about. Just wondering what the phrase means in Missouri.

Anyhow...

Camera forum, so here is my camera question:

How does it affect metering? Has anyone tried it with a variety of lenses? Does it improve metering with M lenses on the K10D specifically?
05-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Is "Cat's Arse" slang for great? Kind of like "the bee's knees"?
Yes, there are numerous variations. "Duck's guts" is another, although in fitting with this thread perhaps "duckz gutz" would be more appropriate.
05-24-2008, 11:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Sorry I am not too good at this. Will the katz eye limit the AF to centre AF only? Can you still use k20D's 11 point AF points?