Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidSKAF3 Quote
Yes I really want the IQ of my airplane pictures to be able to compete with this Canon FF guy I know. If it's possible!
Haha. Might not be the most appropriate attitude.

To be honest, the quality of the images is going to have far more to do with the photographer than the equipment. Focus more on your skill than buying the very best. I didn't buy my Limiteds because they were "Limiteds," I bought them because their compact nature best fit my street photography style.

12-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote

To be honest, the quality of the images is going to have far more to do with the photographer than the equipment. Focus more on your skill than buying the very best. I didn't buy my Limiteds because they were "Limiteds," I bought them because their compact nature best fit my street photography style.
This is what I did too and a bigger reason why I actually don't have the 31 mm, yet. I have a Sigma 30 mm that is only slightly bigger than the 31 mm, so I can't justify it yet.

Size is also why I haven't gotten a high quality telephoto like the 300 or 60-250, yet. However, if someone is looking to shoot planes and so forth, I would think the 300 or 60-250 are what you'd need. The K3 might give you extra room to crop, but you need a sharp lens to see that benefit... Thus the lens would be a bigger need than the K3, especially since the upgrade would be from a K5 camera, which is already quite good.
12-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I would go with the DA15mm Limited. Seems you got everything else covered except a wide angle.
12-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jayman_1975 Quote
Hey all, I just recently returned from the Mayan Riviera where we vacationed for a week. It was a fantastic trip and I can hardly wait to go back. I used my k5ii and chose my 18-135wr lens to take as I felt it would be the best walk around multi purpose lens in my kit.

I also own a da 40 ltd and a smc d FA 50 macro which I have gotten a tad bit spoiled by their sharpness. Although most of my holiday pics look pretty decent I am just a tad underwhelmed by them in comparison to the results I have been getting from my limited primes.

I have been considering a k3 upgrade for awhile but not after seeing these pics I can't help but wonder if I should maybe think about a better lense to replace my 18-135 with. Any thoughts?
...keep your existing camera and get better lenses first, you can alway upgrade the camera later as prices drop & newer models come out but lenses tend to hold their value better.
I'd strongly recommend the HD21 limited, it is an amazing lens and I also own the DA15 which I will never sell.
The 21 is a really useful lens for everyday and walkaround and like the 15 it's nice and compact.

12-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote

I dunno. I can appreciate what you say. But this guy has High ISO night shots of fast moving airliners during take off and landing that really are as smooth as silk! I am not sure if the K-3 can mimic this sort of quality, even in the most skilled hands! But I aim to try! Thank you!
12-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidSKAF3 Quote
I dunno. I can appreciate what you say. But this guy has High ISO night shots of fast moving airliners during take off and landing that really are as smooth as silk! I am not sure if the K-3 can mimic this sort of quality, even in the most skilled hands! But I aim to try! Thank you!
Yeah. I suppose that is weakness of the APS-C format. Assuming it's a modern full frame DSLR, the K-3 can be two or three stops worse in its noise performance. But noise reduction software has really advanced in the past couple years.
12-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #22

I went for the K-3 because the twin card slots are important to me, and I found it far more comfortable to handle than the K-5ii. If you're comfortable with the K-5 handling and don't need the card slots, I'm not sure what other significant advantages the K-3 offers.

If you want better performance shooting aircraft in low light, then you want a long lens that's still sharp at its widest apertures. I don't shoot aircraft so I'm not sure what the ideal focal lengths are ... but increasing your aperture will let you shoot at lower ISO's so you can compete with the full-frame more effectively. (Any idea what lens he's using, incidentally?)
12-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice. I think the best lens for me to replace the 18-135 will be a DA* 50-135. I'll pick up a 21mm sometime and should be all set. Any thoughts on how the 50-135 would do compared to my d FA 50 macro in regards to portrait capabilities?