Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #16
Forum Member

The Pentax DA 12-24mm would be my recommendation. It's perfect for streetscapes, architecture, and interiors. The 10-17 has a little too much distortion for my liking.

12-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Doing nothing is probably a good idea.

But if you like wide, a fisheye sure is fun. I have a Rokinon 8mm that I got for half your budget and it's been great.
Or some filters? IR, ND, and Grad ND are all extensively used by landscape shooters. I have a 10 stop in 49mm which fits a few of my lenses and has been nice to use.

The other end of the spectrum would be a long lens. I got a A* 300/4 a few years ago and I don't use it a whole lot but when I need to go long it's really nice to use and I like the images I get.
12-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by mnj11 Quote
Hello, I have $500, may be $600 max to spend on gears this holiday season I currently own a Tamron 17-50 2.8, F 50mm 1.7, DA 35mm f2.4 AL, DA 50-200mm WR and the DA 15mm non-HD is on it's way. Apart from the lenses, I already have a sturdy tripod. I was thinking of getting a flash but it's not a priority. Mostly I like to do street and landscape photos and occasional table top for for fun for which I use the Tamron or the 55-200 WR. Anyone has suggestions for me about what could be a good investment ?
You don't NEED anything for your favourite subjects, your cam/lenses are just fine.
You might consider the sigma 18-35 art after selling the tamron. But why don't you enjoy your equipment, keep the money for the next REAL IMPROVEMENT (K ...) in three years and take many good photos in the meantime?
12-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #19
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
The only problem with the Sigma 24 was I didn't like its IQ between f/2.8 and f/4 - where I usually shoot. Both copies I had were unsatisfactory here - I'm afraid this is normal for this lens. This was a shame, because it seemed like an ideal choice on paper. So for me the FA*24 was the right lens. I used to think of it as a bit too expensive; now that I own one and see how it performs for me, I think of it as being a quite reasonably priced lens (and it's my cheapest * lens, in fact).
that fa*24 was always one of my dream lenses, but i could never afford it.

so i ended up going through five of the sigma 24mm superwide ii's instead, among other things... the first one i had was maybe the best of the af versions, but i dropped it on a rock, from about two feet up... it blew up like a cheap watch because it's a cheap lens

here is a full-width photo comparison of three samples of that lens on the a7r, at ~f/10... they all have various degrees of decentering, which is actually the norm for most lenses that are on the market... so it's certainly possible to get a couple of copies that don't deliver optimal pq wide open, especially on the sides.
Sigma 24mm f/2.8 comparison

for landscape shooting with ff, i like the little pentax-m 28/3.5 better than any 24mm prime that i've used so far on ff... that k28(?) that somebody recommended earlier would be the way to go, if you can find one... pentax made some xlnt 28mm primes.

12-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay after reading all the comments and thinking about it, I did end up saving the bulk of the money for future investment. I did however end up buying a "B+W 67mm Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter". I have a Tiffen which does it's job but I think the B+W will be a very good upgrade Thanks all for the suggestions.

Last edited by mnj11; 12-20-2014 at 11:06 AM.