Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #1

How to spend $500 wisely

Hello, I have $500, may be $600 max to spend on gears this holiday season I currently own a Tamron 17-50 2.8, F 50mm 1.7, DA 35mm f2.4 AL, DA 50-200mm WR and the DA 15mm non-HD is on it's way. Apart from the lenses, I already have a sturdy tripod. I was thinking of getting a flash but it's not a priority. Mostly I like to do street and landscape photos and occasional table top for for fun for which I use the Tamron or the 55-200 WR. Anyone has suggestions for me about what could be a good investment ?

12-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have a lot of focal lengths covered. I can only think of a wide angle or a fast telephoto. Or maybe a new body?

Last edited by sergysergy; 12-19-2014 at 12:13 PM.
12-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Use it to take a trip for some street and landscape photos.
12-19-2014, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
osv
Veteran Member

you got some nice glass already? don't usually need a flash for street or landscape.

maybe fill some holes in the prime lens lineup? how about a sigma 24mm superwide ii?

12-19-2014, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #5

If you like landscape and street what about the da 10-17 fisheye?
12-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Save just a little more, and then get a used DA*50-135. The DA*50-135 plus a Tamron 17-50/2.8 (or DA*16-50 - but you already have the Tamron) is an unbeatable combination for giving the best IQ for your $. I don't think any other brand can match the value Pentax gives you here, when you use these two lenses with any modern Pentax body. I suppose if I were ever forced down to having only one lens, it would be between the FA*85 and the DA*50-135.

However, I do notice you lack 24mm, and 24 is my favorite wide angle FL. So the FA*24 is my choice here. It's one of my "essential six" lenses (24, 85, 300, 50-135, 16-50, 100 macro). It's an excellent one, and it's right at your price point. Somehow its f/2 aperture causes me to use it much more than my FA20 or FA28. Plus - as I said - the 24mm FL seems just right. Note that most premium fixed-focal length cameras that have come out in the last few years (and these are often used for street photography) use the equivalent of 24mm on APS-C, such as Fuji's X100 line at 23mm. Of course you could just by one of these cameras instead (especially used).

So I think wisdom is in getting the lens you're likely to never want to give up - at least as long as you own a Pentax system. My guess is for you it would be a DA*50-135, FA*24, or maybe a D FA 100 macro WR.
12-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks all for the suggestions. I have a k5iis, so I am not planning to get a new body any time soon. As for a wide angle lens, I have ordered the DA 15 recently, I am looking forward to using it. Not sure if I want another wide angle before I try the 15mm out. Adding more prime lenses sounds like a good idea..perhaps one ltd or more if I am lucky. I have never used a fisheye before, and I have no idea how to work with it but that's an interesting idea as well..it's really hard when you don't know what you want

12-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wisely? Well, that rules out camera gear for sure

The one glaring omission I see is no dedicated macro. Lots of options for old manual macros for far less than $500.
Or sell the 35/2.4 and buy a 35/2.8 macro. Either way you'll have change left over from your McKinley.
12-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
maybe fill some holes in the prime lens lineup? how about a sigma 24mm superwide ii?
QuoteOriginally posted by catsman50 Quote
If you like landscape and street what about the da 10-17 fisheye?
These are both excellent suggestions that I'd agree with as well.

The great thing about the fisheye is it renders images (including the colors) almost as good as the DA15. And the 10-17mm zoom allows you to vary the amount of fisheye distortion, to where it's minimal at 17mm. Also, you can hide most of the distortion in landscapes (so that people generally won't notice it) if you're willing to put the horizon right in the middle of the frame. Plus it's too much fun at times. As much as I liked my DA15, I actually sold it, secure in knowing I still had my DA10-17 (someday I may get another DA15, but I'm OK for now).

The only problem with the Sigma 24 was I didn't like its IQ between f/2.8 and f/4 - where I usually shoot. Both copies I had were unsatisfactory here - I'm afraid this is normal for this lens. This was a shame, because it seemed like an ideal choice on paper. So for me the FA*24 was the right lens. I used to think of it as a bit too expensive; now that I own one and see how it performs for me, I think of it as being a quite reasonably priced lens (and it's my cheapest * lens, in fact).

Last edited by DSims; 12-19-2014 at 01:02 PM.
12-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #10

Original Poster
DA*50-135 is expensive, so I dropped the idea of buying one. May be I can just wait for one to appear on the marketplace for a good price. I haven't thought about the FA*24mm, perhaps I ought to try it out. It does have very good reviews. For macros I saw some videos from Thomas Shahan, he shoots Pentax as well and he uses reversing ring and extension tubes. Inspired by him, I have ordered a cheapo reversing ring and an extension tube (less than $20 I think) to try that out first and see if I will like macro photography before investing in a macro lens.
12-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #11

I notice you mention landscape and the 15mm limited is certainly nice for that. If you have any interest in doing wider landscapes/panoramas or larger format prints I would suggest looking for a good copy of the K 28mm 3.5.

It is very sharp corner to corner and, in my mind, is the perfect lens for creating incredible undistorted stitched landscape photos. It is of course manual focus and you need to use the manual setting with a fixed WB but I get a lot of enjoyment out of it and for me it is worth the effort.

Can be a little hard to find but you should be able to find a good copy from $90-$140.
12-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mnj11 Quote
..it's really hard when you don't know what you want
Well, when in doubt - do nothing. Put the funds into your sock drawer and forget about it, until the time when you really know what you want or need. You are currently very well equipped. I would probably note the prices, so that when you know what you want - you will understand what is a good price and what isn't.

12-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks all for the suggestions. I have a k5iis, so I am not planning to get a new body any time soon. As for a wide angle lens, I have ordered the DA 15 recently, I am looking forward to using it. Not sure if I want another wide angle before I try the 15mm out. Adding more prime lenses sounds like a good idea..perhaps one ltd or more if I am lucky. I have never used a fisheye before, and I have no idea how to work with it but that's an interesting idea as well..it's really hard when you don't know what you want
The 15 is awsome. It lives on my K01 these days, used it all day today at class parties.

How about a very nice 100 macro, perhaps an M model? You said you do some tabletop photography.
12-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Hello, I have $500, may be $600 max to spend on gears this holiday season I currently own a Tamron 17-50 2.8, F 50mm 1.7, DA 35mm f2.4 AL, DA 50-200mm WR and the DA 15mm non-HD is on it's way. Apart from the lenses, I already have a sturdy tripod. I was thinking of getting a flash but it's not a priority. Mostly I like to do street and landscape photos and occasional table top for for fun for which I use the Tamron or the 55-200 WR. Anyone has suggestions for me about what could be a good investment ?
If pure street photography is high on the priority list, get the Ricoh GR. For true macro get a Tamron 90. GR will eat up all of your budget. The Tamron 90 will leave you with some change to get a few less expensive accessories.

I am in the same boat with the street photography. I am exploring options for a light package so I do not have to log around my DSLR and a bag full of lenses.

I feel for you. So many toys to choose from! Good luck and let us know what you decided.
12-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If you don't know what you want, why buy anything? The wisest thing would be to not spend the $500 just for the sake of spending it. Set it aside and add money to it so that perhaps later you can buy a nicer limited if you need it, etc.

Or as someone else suggest, put the money towards travel somewhere to take some photos or upgrade your computer to speed up your workflow.