Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2008, 12:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Airmide Quote
I'm a total newbie to anything above a point and shoot. Would it probably be best to buy the kit or body plus lenses separately? Is there anything else I'm going to find I can't live without and should get now? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hello and welcome to the friendliest photography forum on the Internet.

Since this is your first digital SLR, your best bet would be to go with the body + kit lens option. You can then build a system after saving up a little $$$.

If you want a better quality lens from the get-go (mind you, the kit lens is nothing to sneeze at), you could buy the body and the smc PENTAX DA 16-45 f/4.

Also, never rule out the possibility of getting lenses from a third-party manufacturer, such as Sigma or Tamron.

Buy some eneloops and a charger. You won't regret it.

05-26-2008, 12:48 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Wow Ftpaddict thank you so much for your help!! I think that sounds like great advice. I think I'll get the kit lens to start with since it seems very economical and will give me something to start with. Then when I learn more about lenses I'm sure I'll find more than I could ever afford lol.

One thing I'm sure not complaining about is saving at least $200 off the best price I found anywhere on the canon XSI ($752 YMMV at BestBuy through tomorrow, check slickdeals for more info if anyone is interested or knows anyone who would be). I am feeling like the Pentax k200d is every bit as good as the xsi and better in several areas.

So you think the eneloops work well? That is so exciting because as it turns out we found a good deal on a set at costco a couple months ago so that means I'm already set for that! The guy at the camera store was pushing lithiums and I'd really rather just use what I've got. I should probably buy some more eneloops though so I'm not always running out.

Next I'm sure you'll see me asking for help in the accessories area hehe. Thanks again so much for the warm welcome and help!!
05-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #18
Inactive Account

I just ordered the K200D, I can't wait!! $674.99 shipped through an amazon partner DBROTH, so I sure hope that makes it $574.99 after rebate (shipping price was built in). I could have gotten it for $662.03 directly from amazon but DBROTh has it shipping out May 28th to 29th which I figured was worth the extra $12 and change over Amazon's late June/early July ship-date (which would probably be too late for the trip we're taking also)
05-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My Apologies To Everyone

Hey All,
I wrote Pentax and the people in charge of the rebate, you were right, since I bought mine before the rebate started, I am not elgible. That really really sucks, Amazon.com now has the k200d for $50.00 less than I paid for it and the people who buy it now get an additional $100 off. GRRRRRRR We early birds who bought the camera before it was even reviewed should reap the benefits of the rebate because we paid the introductory price. Wadda Think?

Barry

05-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Hey All,
I wrote Pentax and the people in charge of the rebate, you were right, since I bought mine before the rebate started, I am not elgible. That really really sucks, Amazon.com now has the k200d for $50.00 less than I paid for it and the people who buy it now get an additional $100 off. GRRRRRRR We early birds who bought the camera before it was even reviewed should reap the benefits of the rebate because we paid the introductory price. Wadda Think?

Barry
something to keep in mind, even without the rebates, you paid the lowest price for your gear than anywhere else in the world.
05-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Hey All,
Nope, and I'm in the same boat. I pulled the trigger when it first came out too, but I knew I'd be paying the 'early adoptor tax.' I was happy with the price at the time so I have no regrets, and I've gotten a couple of months of very enjoyable use out of it. As for the rebate, I think I'm going to sell my DS and buy a second body
05-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Hi Barry

Re your misfortune:

QuoteQuote:
I am not eligible. That really really sucks. Wadda Think?
I'm naturally sorry to learn of your recent plight, but at least NOW you know what the rest of the world feels like ! Unfortunately, the theoretical concept of an ACTUAL rebate remains a distant possibility for Pentax's long-suffering Europeans customers & markets elsewhere. 'Hard cheese' & all that, but you yanks have never had it so good, although you probably don't realise it yet ! Just wait til' you start paying well-over $10.00 (and rising) per imperial gallon for your gasoline. OUCH indeed......!

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 05-28-2008 at 06:47 PM.
05-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #23
Inactive Account

I just ordered the K20D with the kit lens.

My first DSLR.

So what exactly clinched it for me? The sub-$1000 price point (well actually $1074 after rebate including the kit lens; $95 for the 18-55 II seemed like a good deal)?

Well that helped, but what really gave me a kick in the pants was the news that New York State has just passed legislation to charge sales tax on internet purchases! Anything purchase after June 1st from Amazon or any other online retailer will be taxed as it would be if it were purchased in New York.

So word to all the NYers on this board, tax free days are (almost) over. At least until Amazon wins their suit against the state.
05-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #24
Inactive Account

I bought through amazon from DBROTH but then I started reading all sorts of negative things about them. So I tried to cancel my order but couldn't, then found a round-about way around that. (PM me if you need details on that sort of issue from that seller or any other).

Now I started reading more and am even a little more confused. People are talking about the AL II lens being better? So I'm trying to figure out if the direct from amazon.com kit comes with that lens or another Amazon.com: Pentax K200D 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens: Camera & Photo

Does anyone know? Or better yet know of another place to get a similar deal with the best possible lens? Thanks!!
05-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Airmide Quote
I bought through amazon from DBROTH but then I started reading all sorts of negative things about them. So I tried to cancel my order but couldn't, then found a round-about way around that. (PM me if you need details on that sort of issue from that seller or any other).

Now I started reading more and am even a little more confused. People are talking about the AL II lens being better? So I'm trying to figure out if the direct from amazon.com kit comes with that lens or another Amazon.com: Pentax K200D 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens: Camera & Photo

Does anyone know? Or better yet know of another place to get a similar deal with the best possible lens? Thanks!!
I got mine directly from Amazon and it came with the AL II lens.
06-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #26

Would this work?

I bought my K20D from a Canadian store. Since the condition on the rebate form did not say the purchase has to be made in US, and it only asks for US address. Can I send my receipt and UPC and use my friend's US address? Does anyone know or have tried this.
06-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Yea I took them up on the rebate deal.
My *ist DL is getting kind of long of tooth so I ordered the K20D with the battery grip.
Only time will tell if it's worth it or not.
06-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I read the rebate form and the US address is the only location requirement that I could find. If you don't try, you won't get it. Pentax tech support told me with my last rebate that they would help if I had any problems. Of course I didn't have any issues. Go for it.

Dave
06-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asianz Quote
I bought my K20D from a Canadian store. Since the condition on the rebate form did not say the purchase has to be made in US, and it only asks for US address. Can I send my receipt and UPC and use my friend's US address? Does anyone know or have tried this.
This rebate is offered by Pentax USA (not Pentax Corp. worldwide) so they're entitled to claim it's for US market only although not spelt out. You have to submit a copy of your purchase receipt which would show Canadian store and possibly your name & Canadian address. I also suspect non-PentaxUSA units may have a different UPC code to be rejected when claim is scanned; this has happened to grey imports even when bought in US.
06-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Barry

Re your proposal:

Forgive the mild cynicism, but plenty of others have penned missives to them on numerous occasions about this sensitive subject and simply received the usual evasive bull-s**t, wrapped up in polite management-speak ! Incidentally, if you'd care to donate your generous rebate to me in order that I can share it out equitably between the rest of us long-suffering Europeans, my secret Swiss bank-account number is: *<%”€!$!@^/#+£>?

Best regards
Richard
Cynicism apart, I think one reason could be that European legislation is a little tougher on rebates than in the US (or Canada for that matter.) Here in Belgium I know of at least one case where a manufacturer (in this case Sony) had to withdraw their upcoming rebate...

Without wanting to cause too much trouble, I don't approve on rebates. There's not much you can't do if you don't get the rebate, and as I understand it, there have been a lot of cases where people didn't get their money back. And even if you get your money back, it takes ages...