Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I looked at Adorama website and was tempted by that package deal, but got swayed by their current offer of K3 plus grip and 32GB memory card and went for that instead. I have original K5 and felt K3 would be more of an upgrade. I am just evaluating the K3 now and my early impression is that with the same lens attached, and I tried DA* 200 and DA 35 Limited, you can crop more with the K3 and still have sharp detail than you can with the K5. In hand both cameras have great feel and build. One minor gripe with the K3 is the strap it came with (made in China) seems cheaper quality than the one (made in Philippines) that came with K5. I will be looking for a better strap anyway so it is not a big deal. I would be curious to know if you can buy the leather straps that come with the Silver or gunmetal limited editions. A camera like the K3 should have a better strap than the one in the box it comes with.
Congratulations. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your decision. I use heavily padded straps, leather just doesn't work for me long-term.

12-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I have Crumpler Industry Disgrace on my K5 and it is very comfortable. It's only downside is it is so well padded it takes up space in my camera bags. I will likely get another one for my K3, it is the best aftermarket strap I have tried. I think they still sell it. Will check B&H and Adorama. And yes, I am really liking my new K3.
12-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
I've been using a Tamrac Model N-45 quick release camera strap on every Pentax camera since my PZ-1. The soft padded leather is very comfortable around the neck and on the shoulder. In two clicks, the strap is off and the camera is in the bag with no strap to interfere. This is also ideal when the camera on tripod.
12-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

K3 give you slightly more resolution than K5-IIs... The difference is bigger with K5/K50 or K5-II because there still a low pass filter on theses one. Still the K3 will provide a bit more. If you plan to do lot of big print at low iso, the K3 get an edge.

But this is not only that. AF is much better, faster, more accurate. it increase shooting comfort and keeper rate. Metering and white balence significantly improved and that show. Overall the K3 is just a better body overall than K5-IIs. Depending of who you are, you might not need the k3 features, but there really a difference, including in day to day practical shooting.

12-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

the biggest difference that I've noticed with my new K-3 vs my K-5 is the AF. The K-3 is faster and more accurate.
I don't print large images but it is nice to have the added resolution of 24MP just in case you need to crop.
01-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #21

Original Poster
So I now have a K-3 with an 18-135mm on the way!
01-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #22
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I would be curious to know if you can buy the leather straps that come with the Silver or gunmetal limited editions. A camera like the K3 should have a better strap than the one in the box it comes with.
I got the lovely leather strap with the K3 silver bundle and immediately switched it for a Domke web strap that was on my K5 w/quick release snaps. Looked sharp but too stiff for daily use.

01-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
I got the lovely leather strap with the K3 silver bundle and immediately switched it for a Domke web strap that was on my K5 w/quick release snaps. Looked sharp but too stiff for daily use.

I regularly carry around two Domke bags. I can't imagine the straps would be too comfortable around the neck
01-05-2015, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #24

Original Poster
I have a K-3 on the way.
01-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I regularly carry around two Domke bags. I can't imagine the straps would be too comfortable around the neck
They work great for me. I have them on almost all my cameras.

Steve
01-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They work great for me. I have them on almost all my cameras.

Steve

Truth be told I don't like any straps around my neck. All my cameras have wrist straps.

01-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arvexrun Quote
I have a K-3 on the way.
Congratulations. I'm loving mine.