Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #1

Pentax K-3 problems? Considering K-5iis

Hi, I'm pretty dead set on moving to a K-3, but so far I'm hearing about some problems with them.

Something about old model/new model, should I just get a K-5iis?
Also how big could I print an image on a 16mp sensor of the K-5iis? I plan on making some 42 inch prints.

12-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There aren't really any issues with the K-3 to be concerned about. The mirror flop problem affected a small portion of users, bet even in the very unlikely event that it happened consistently, the repair would be covered under warranty.

As for a 42" print, the more megapixels you have, the better the IQ will be. You'd get about 120 DPI with a K-5 IIs and 142 DPI with a K-3.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
Alright, thanks for the tips...As for DPI I may not quite be aware what that means, dots per inch?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There aren't really any issues with the K-3 to be concerned about. The mirror flop problem affected a small portion of users, bet even in the very unlikely event that it happened consistently, the repair would be covered under warranty.

As for a 42" print, the more megapixels you have, the better the IQ will be. You'd get about 120 DPI with a K-5 IIs and 142 DPI with a K-3.
12-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arvexrun Quote
Alright, thanks for the tips...As for DPI I may not quite be aware what that means, dots per inch?
Yes, DPI = Dot Per Inch. Good luck with your decision. Just FYI, Adorama has the K-5iis on sale again Bundled with the Pentax D-BG4 Battery Grip, 64GB Class 10 SDXC Card, Pentax AF-200FG Dedicated Shoe Mount Flash, Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty, Gadget Bag, Tiffen DFX Essentials Digital Filter Softwar. Pretty sweet deal IMHO.

12-20-2014, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
I might have to go check that out. Either way its still gonna be a good week until judgement call.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes, DPI = Dot Per Inch. Good luck with your decision. Just FYI, Adorama has the K-5iis on sale again Bundled with the Pentax D-BG4 Battery Grip, 64GB Class 10 SDXC Card, Pentax AF-200FG Dedicated Shoe Mount Flash, Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty, Gadget Bag, Tiffen DFX Essentials Digital Filter Softwar. Pretty sweet deal IMHO.
12-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I might have to go check that out. Either way its still gonna be a good week until judgement call.
Whichever way you go, remember to get the 2-yr extended warranty for $19. Best Pentax bargain ever!
12-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
I might have to jump on that sale, 900 dollars off? Insanity.

A question is, will that battery grip go on a K-3 should I ever decide to upgrade to that?

12-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I might have to jump on that sale, 900 dollars off? Insanity.

A question is, will that battery grip go on a K-3 should I ever decide to upgrade to that?
The Battery grip for the K-3 is the "5" model and not the same as for the K-7/5/5ii/5iis which is the "4" model (D-BG4 Battery Grip).
12-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #9

Original Poster
There are some k3 battery grip sales here too that aren't much more.

Now I just need to hope this sale sticks for about another week.

The Battery grip for the K-3 is the "5" model and not the same as for the K-7/5/5ii/5iis which is the "4" model (D-BG4 Battery Grip).
12-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've owned both. Had the mirror flap issue with the K-3 once about 10 months ago, and two firmware updates ago. No problems since.
12-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Curious where you are hearing about k-3 problems? Reviews or someplace?
12-21-2014, 12:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

In theory you should have 180dpi+ for a print from an Epson or Canon printer; with Canon you might be able to get away with 150dpi+.

It may come out OK anyway, without doing this, but you should probably upscale in PS CC or with Perfect Resize from OnOne before printing. Obviously, neither camera quite meets the target numbers.

I think you're better off getting the K-3. The K-5 IIs is very good, but I've even been getting lockups with it on the latest firmware (though it may have been due to using the battery grip). Still, why not just get the slightly better camera - neither one is absolutely perfect, after all.
12-21-2014, 01:20 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Hi, I'm pretty dead set on moving to a K-3, but so far I'm hearing about some problems with them.

Something about old model/new model, should I just get a K-5iis?
Also how big could I print an image on a 16mp sensor of the K-5iis? I plan on making some 42 inch prints.

Friend of mine had a problem with turbo in his BMW. So yes, even BMW can have a problem and K-3 can have a problem as well. But I believe K-3 is a very good camera and I don't think there're some massive troubles somebody should be afraid of.
12-21-2014, 02:44 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't worry too much about K3 issues. There are often a few bugs to iron out when a camera is first released, but the whole mirror flap thing seems to be pretty well gone.

The K5 II is a great camera, too -- I shoot with one along with my K3. You can't really go wrong either way.

Good luck!
12-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I looked at Adorama website and was tempted by that package deal, but got swayed by their current offer of K3 plus grip and 32GB memory card and went for that instead. I have original K5 and felt K3 would be more of an upgrade. I am just evaluating the K3 now and my early impression is that with the same lens attached, and I tried DA* 200 and DA 35 Limited, you can crop more with the K3 and still have sharp detail than you can with the K5. In hand both cameras have great feel and build. One minor gripe with the K3 is the strap it came with (made in China) seems cheaper quality than the one (made in Philippines) that came with K5. I will be looking for a better strap anyway so it is not a big deal. I would be curious to know if you can buy the leather straps that come with the Silver or gunmetal limited editions. A camera like the K3 should have a better strap than the one in the box it comes with.