Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
he's the one who apparently extracted the embedded JPEG from the RAW file
I do it all the time. Like I said ( repeatedly ), this is what FastStone does by default. Click on a RAW file and you are looking at the embedded JPG.

12-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I shoot in RAW, and at times I also use FastStone to save embedded JPEGs when I'm in hurry and I need to get an acceptable picture for web.
Only once I got a noticeable color banding.

Never tried to compare the embedded JPEGs with ones made in RAW+JPEG mode, but I'll try to experiment to see if there's any significant difference.
12-22-2014, 07:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
I just checked. The DNG files generated by my K200D are often BIGGER than those generated by my K30 ! The K200D pretty consistently generates 16.1M DNG files. With the K30, it varies. Some files are up over 16M, some are smaller. Worst case, the K30 files are only slightly bigger. This makes no sense - the K30 has a 16M sensor vs the 10M sensor in the K200D.

The K200D is probably always embedding a full resolution JPG in the DNG file. That's the only explanation that makes any sense.
This is because your K30 compresses RAW but your K200D does not.
12-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #19
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. The software I use to extract the embedded jpegs is available at

www.michaeltapesdesign.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw.html

I have used this software in the past to extract the jpegs from the raw pef files for loading onto a tablet or netbook for initial photo selection because these devices are so slow when handling raw files. Although I use FastStone, I never thought of using it for that purpose. I am thinking of shooting raw+ to enable me to provide family pictures easily without having to do any post processing, keeping that for my serious photography. The raw files would still be available if necessary for these pictures. The sample photographs provided by Ultrapentaxionalist earlier in this thread illustrate very well the differences. Now I have set up noise reduction and all that other good stuff in the menus and will try the raw+ menu setting. This being Christmas it will be a good test. For the record, I am using both a K-5 and a K-5 II.

Last edited by cpk; 12-22-2014 at 09:17 AM.
12-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #20
Forum Member

Hi,

see this post:

I extracted embeded JPEGs with ExifTool/ExifToolGUI. From my K-5’s RAWs they are 30-50kB VGA 640×480px JPEG quality 39 (‼), with two 28px black stripes on top and bottom. During review on the LCD, the image is shifted upwards. Therefore, we see a 56px black stripe at the bottom. Only if we zoom into a new preview is created from RAW and the black stripe disappears (i.e., the entire LCD is used).

Last edited by Alfie; 12-22-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo
12-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Ok, a fast test from my K-30. I switched it to RAW+ mode and made a shot.

JPEG made by the camera is 4928 x 3264 pixels, 6.18Mb.
DNG file contains two embedded JPEGs:
640 x 480, 33Kb
4928 x 3264, 1.19Mb.
The VGA-sized preview can be extracted by ExifTool, and to get the second picture I had to use a hex-editor.

The "Picture Compare" feature in FastStone shows rather strong JPEG artifacts in the embedded image. But they become visible at 200% and higher magnification.
Here's a screenshot with the camera JPEG on the left and embedded picture on the right:
Name:  JPEG_Compare.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  72.9 KB

I can upload the pictures somewhere if anyone wants to take a closer look.