Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2008, 02:26 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by boushh Quote
Seriously?

Edit: You are serious! I don't know how I missed that in the K200D's description... Has anyone actually used this function? What does it do/How does it work?
Truthfully, it's not all that great.

I've done some limited testing with it, and could barely tell the difference between photos while doing A/B comparisons at my computer.

I'm sure it may help in some situations, but it's not magic -- I may need to test it more, though. Plus, losing ISO 100 setting is a bummer when it's bright outside...you're limited to 200-1600 when you enable the dynamic range.

05-26-2008, 03:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
I've done some limited testing with it, and could barely tell the difference between photos while doing A/B comparisons at my computer.
Well, I don't want to pirate the thread and EDR is a topic treated many times here on the forum (K20D). But just to give the OP an idea what it might do...

First, it goes to half ISO internally (w/o telling and keeping exposure settings of the full ISO). Then, and for JPEGs only, it applies a mild tone mapping for the brightest of highlights to bring them back into JPEG's 8Bit range.

So, it basically mimics a RAW shooters technique of keeping the ISO low, underexpose (expose to the right), and in Lightroom, to increase exposure with light restauration to preserve the highlights.
05-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
^^ I see. Thanks for the descriptions and experiences guys.
05-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, I don't want to pirate the thread and EDR is a topic treated many times here on the forum (K20D). But just to give the OP an idea what it might do...

First, it goes to half ISO internally (w/o telling and keeping exposure settings of the full ISO). Then, and for JPEGs only, it applies a mild tone mapping for the brightest of highlights to bring them back into JPEG's 8Bit range.

So, it basically mimics a RAW shooters technique of keeping the ISO low, underexpose (expose to the right), and in Lightroom, to increase exposure with light restauration to preserve the highlights.
Ahh I see, thanks, I had never read any technical details on how it worked. Also, I always shoot RAW, so I'm assuming this is for JPEG only? I read the entire manual but I don't remember if it said that EDR applied to JPEG. Good info, though.

05-27-2008, 01:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm assuming this is for JPEG only? I read the entire manual but I don't remember if it said that EDR applied to JPEG.
The info is mainly based on experience and collective work reported on the internet, esp. by GordonBGood who studied 16Bit histograms. A minority of users would not agree on what I have written, though. Nothing about all this is in the manual, as usual...

EDR applies to both, RAW and JPEG, but the EDR tone mapping is applied by the JPG engine only. The tone mapping is the important addition. So for RAW, you are better off using low ISO and EV compensation (or exposure to the right) directly.

BTW, underexposition by -1EV at half the ISO collects exactly the same number of photons. So basically, you get the same image (why the effect is so subtle). However, going from ISO200 to ISO100, you have the somewhat higher ISO100 read-out noise (visible in dark shadows only). And of course, you have a full stop more headroom in the highlights.

So, in summary: if you shoot RAW at the lowest ISO possible and expose to the right, then there is no need to care about EDR.
05-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Ahh I see, thanks, I had never read any technical details on how it worked. Also, I always shoot RAW, so I'm assuming this is for JPEG only? I read the entire manual but I don't remember if it said that EDR applied to JPEG. Good info, though.
EDR works with RAW and JPEG
05-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Have you tried bracketing?, give it a shot and it might work for your need.

Cheers,

Rene