Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #1

Telescope lens for K110d???

Recently I have started reading about astrophotography and have became pretty interested. I was looking around at different telescopes that I could attach the k110d to, but I don't want to spend 1,000's of $$. I was looking on ebay and came across this, I'm pretty much just wondering if anyone has had any experience with anything like this. It seems like a good starter kit because it comes with a T-mount that is adaptable to the pentax. If I'm doing the calculations right it should be f13 at 1200mm, which I'm assuming should would fine for shooting starts and the moon?

1200mm-90 Telescope lens for Pentax K mount DSLR Camera - eBay (item 220112228397 end time Jun-07-08 02:15:52 PDT)

05-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #2

I got this one from Adorama. Similar to the one you are asking about and all you need is the pentax t adapter and the celestorn adapter. I have taken a couple of moom shots for testing with the K100D. See link.

52265 Celestron C90 Mak, 3.5" (89mm) Waterproof Maksutov-Cassegrain Spotting Scope Kit with Eyepiece, Finderscope & Accessories.
05-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
While this may be a nice scope to start with, I really recommend to consult some astrophotography forums before actually buying a scope.

The reason why I am saying this is the following:

In astrophotography and unlike asto observing, you should actually spend about as much money (if not more) on the (motorized) mount than the scope itself.

Like most, I learned it the hard way. Especially the products from Meade with integrated motorized mount have unsuitable mount quality (in the lower price range) for astro photography.
05-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by juanacevedo Quote
I got this one from Adorama. Similar to the one you are asking about and all you need is the pentax t adapter and the celestorn adapter. I have taken a couple of moom shots for testing with the K100D. See link.

52265 Celestron C90 Mak, 3.5" (89mm) Waterproof Maksutov-Cassegrain Spotting Scope Kit with Eyepiece, Finderscope & Accessories.

Do you have any of the pics you have taken with this?? Also have you ever tried it for daytime shooting(like taking pictures of stationary things far away?) Thanks for the help!

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
While this may be a nice scope to start with, I really recommend to consult some astrophotography forums before actually buying a scope.

The reason why I am saying this is the following:

In astrophotography and unlike asto observing, you should actually spend about as much money (if not more) on the (motorized) mount than the scope itself.

Like most, I learned it the hard way. Especially the products from Meade with integrated motorized mount have unsuitable mount quality (in the lower price range) for astro photography.

I know what you mean with the motorized mounts but I all I'm really looking at doing at first is some moon shots and a couple of shorter exposure star shots.(and use the telescope to just look at stars not necessarily take pics) I don't really want to have to dive in and spend a ton of money right away because I am not sure that I will want to pursue astrophotography that far. Any more recomendations on what you think I should do would be appreciated or if you have any recomendations for equipement that is around this price range that would work for what I am looking to do.

05-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #5

Moon shoot

This one was just part test. Came out OK for my first try. You can play with your camera settings until you get what please you. Go to page two of this link and look at my name.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/22666-moon-phase.html
05-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but how about birding scopes/lenses compatible with K mount? does anybody know of any? I have in mind something else then bigma or so, I mean propper scope which you would be able to conect via adapter...
05-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vdubbin099 Quote
I am not sure that I will want to pursue astrophotography that far
Ok, if it is to satisfy some curiosity... The recommended lens was a 1200mm f/13 lens. W/o a good motorized mount, this actually will not be able to turn out useful for much else than moon shots.

This is because nebula are dark and planets are small. Stars remain dots at best. Advanced astrophotographers actually stack thousands of video frames from tuned web cams for planet photography.

So, if its not planets, nor nebula, you may just want to start with a 300mm standard tele lens mounted on a tripod, possibly stacking dozens or hundreds of images to beat the earth's rotation. At the time you are ready to proceed from there you will probably know all the asnwers yourself

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
how about birding scopes/lenses compatible with K mount?
Mirror scopes are consistently regarded inferior for terrestrial subjects. Reason is the poor bokeh and contrast you cannot control due to the fixed aperture. They can be useful in certain situations where portability is an issue.

Lens scopes are weak in aperture, compared to tele lenses. If you compare them by a given aperture, birding scopes all of a sudden don't appear to be very cheap anymore (e.g., a 10x50 glass corresponds to a 300mm f/5.6 tele lens on APS-C only).

BTW, you can mount most scopes to DSLRs using a T-mount adapter. Maybe not true for spotting scopes, though.
05-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #8

Original Poster
Ok, if it is to satisfy some curiosity... The recommended lens was a 1200mm f/13 lens. W/o a good motorized mount, this actually will not be able to turn out useful for much else than moon shots.

This is because nebula are dark and planets are small. Stars remain dots at best. Advanced astrophotographers actually stack thousands of video frames from tuned web cams for planet photography.

So, if its not planets, nor nebula, you may just want to start with a 300mm standard tele lens mounted on a tripod, possibly stacking dozens or hundreds of images to beat the earth's rotation. At the time you are ready to proceed from there you will probably know all the asnwers yourself
Thanks for the response maybe I will just get a 1.7 TC for my 300mm and try some shot with that first. Then maybe spend a little more for a motorized mount and lens.

05-26-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Mirror scopes are consistently regarded inferior for terrestrial subjects. Reason is the poor bokeh and contrast you cannot control due to the fixed aperture. They can be useful in certain situations where portability is an issue.

Lens scopes are weak in aperture, compared to tele lenses. If you compare them by a given aperture, birding scopes all of a sudden don't appear to be very cheap anymore (e.g., a 10x50 glass corresponds to a 300mm f/5.6 tele lens on APS-C only).

BTW, you can mount most scopes to DSLRs using a T-mount adapter. Maybe not true for spotting scopes, though.
Thanx for this insight. I do really appreciate it...