Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
What brings you to that conclusion?
Compared with some of the way older models mentioned, the K-S1 has a larger, brighter OVF and better IBIS.

K-S1 also has Pentax's best-yet implementation of focus peaking, which IMO is a huge +.

But as you pointed out in your previous post, there's a plethora of Pentaxes that would do well, and maybe for some people the superior ergonomics of the K-50 would trump the better focus peaking of the K-S1.

12-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Compared with some of the way older models mentioned, the K-S1 has a larger, brighter OVF and better IBIS.

K-S1 also has Pentax's best-yet implementation of focus peaking, which IMO is a huge +.

But as you pointed out in your previous post, there's a plethora of Pentaxes that would do well, and maybe for some people the superior ergonomics of the K-50 would trump the better focus peaking of the K-S1.
I have nearly 0 experience with the K-S1 and appreciate your input. My daughter, now that she has a Q7, has eyed that K-S1 and thinks its amazing looking. Glad to hear that it has something going for it other than its external design. Had to get past the K-01s looks to see it as a useful backup tool for my K-5iis, perhaps the K-S01 might be right for my daughter next year.
12-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Out of curiosity luftluss what is the basis for your opinion?

Just not a fan of opinions without reasons given.
12-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Despite what others have said, the K10d is a terrible choice for screw mount lenses. The camera is fantastic, but it has HORRIBLE metering errors with full manual lenses. you would be much better off going 2 generations in either direction. If you are going to stick with Pentax, either go as far back as the *ist line, or go forward to at least the K-x/K7 era. The *ist Ds would be a very good, inexpensive choice.

Of course with your screw mount lenses there are many excellent non Pentax choices out there as well. If you want a true DSLR Canon is a good choice, as are the older Sony bodies. Mirrorless options include Sony (My personal favorite), Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus, and Samsung. Pentax and Nikon both make Mirrorless cameras that have sensors that are entirely too small to be practical for use with your lenses.

If you can find one in good condition, and get a good deal on it, your best choice would probably be a first generation Canon 5D. Unlike every other camera people have listed so far, it has a sensor that is (inappropriately titled) "full frame". That means that it has a sensor that is the same size as a singe 35mm film negative. This makes it so that when you use the lenses, you get the field of view you expect. If you use any of the other clears people have listed, there is a crop factor you have to deal with. therefore, if you use the 50mm lens on a Pentax or Sony DSLR you get the field of view of what a 75mm lens would give you on film. on a Panasonic or Olympus mirrorless camera it gives you the field of view of a 100mm lens. Different cameras have different crop factors, so you should probably look them up before you commit to anything in particular. Getting back to the 5D, they regularly sell on KEH for around $450, which I'm guessing means you can get one for around $350 on ebay. That's pretty close to your original budget.

12-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Mirrorless options include Sony (My personal favorite), Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus, and Samsung. Pentax and Nikon both make Mirrorless cameras that have sensors that are entirely too small to be practical for use with your lenses.
The K-01 is a MILC with an APS-C sized Sony Exmor sensor that's pretty good.

Dan.
12-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Suleeto Quote
Out of curiosity luftluss what is the basis for your opinion?

Just not a fan of opinions without reasons given.
See my response to Doc.

Based solely on capability, the K-S1 seems to be the best Pentax for MF lenses.
12-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
The K-01 is a MILC with an APS-C sized Sony Exmor sensor that's pretty good.

Dan.
Yes, but nobody was stating that all of the other Pentax mirrorless cameras, AKA the Q line, have tiny sensors. And honestly, because of the way it was developed, the K-01 has all of the disadvantages of a DSLR (Weight, size) with all of the disadvantages of a low end mirrorless camera (too shallow grip, no viewfinder, fixed position screen). Considering that much better cameras can be had for about the same amount of money, I didn't bring it up.
12-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

I have shot manual with a K10D since the camera was released. I fInd it to be an excellent camera for manual lens. I still shoot M42 lens on my K10D with excellent results. I love the color rendition on the K10D. I own a K3 now but still keep my trusty old K10. I can not understand the camera is a terrible choice when if you go to the M42 lens club page you will find many users still using one. You can one up for less than $200.

12-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I have shot manual with a K10D since the camera was released. I fInd it to be an excellent camera for manual lens. I still shoot M42 lens on my K10D with excellent results. I love the color rendition on the K10D. I own a K3 now but still keep my trusty old K10. I can not understand the camera is a terrible choice when if you go to the M42 lens club page you will find many users still using one. You can one up for less than $200.
Because the meter in the K10d is crap for fast aperture full manual lenses, except of course if you never open them up all the way. I had a K10D for years, and I really liked it, but I felt forced into buying lenses with the A setting.
12-26-2014, 08:57 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
And honestly, because of the way it was developed, the K-01 has all of the disadvantages of a DSLR (Weight, size) with all of the disadvantages of a low end mirrorless camera (too shallow grip, no viewfinder, fixed position screen). Considering that much better cameras can be had for about the same amount of money, I didn't bring it up.
When first released the K-01 was overpriced. I got mine new in a discontinued products sale for $218 AUD delivered, in Dec 2012. I certainly considered it a good buy at the time, and have used it with plenty of M & A series MF glass. If it was to choose between this model & the K-5 for dedication to M42-only duty, I think this would be the camera I'd choose. The weather-sealing, larger shot buffer, higher FPS and ISO80 performance of the K-5 are not needed for the type of shots I take with a Super Takumar 50/F1.4.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 12-26-2014 at 09:11 PM.
12-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #26
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevetopia Quote
So if i found a K-5 in my price range what would you guys do?
K-5 > K-50

If I was you I'd get the K-5 as long as it doesn't have more than 30 or 40k shutter clicks
12-27-2014, 12:19 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Another vote for the K-01. With focus peaking and magnification, it's great with manual focus lenses. And the 16 megapickle sensor is a peach, great in low light and good dynamic range.
IIRC, it's best to shoot in aperture-priority mode.
12-27-2014, 02:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
When first released the K-01 was overpriced. I got mine new in a discontinued products sale for $218 AUD delivered, in Dec 2012. I certainly considered it a good buy at the time, and have used it with plenty of M & A series MF glass. If it was to choose between this model & the K-5 for dedication to M42-only duty, I think this would be the camera I'd choose. The weather-sealing, larger shot buffer, higher FPS and ISO80 performance of the K-5 are not needed for the type of shots I take with a Super Takumar 50/F1.4.

Dan.
All of what you are saying is true, but you are ignoring 2 facts:

1) While it could be had new for that price then, the K-01 is actually more expensive now as a used camera.

2) Today, there are many far better mirrorless cameras available for significantly less than what the K-01 now costs. For example, the best deal I was able to find on ebay for a buy it now K-01 was $265. On the other hand, for $232 you can buy a Sony NEX 5r, M42 adapter, screen hood, wireless remote, and a spare battery. Compared to the K-01, the 5r is smaller, lighter, has a folding screen, can take a screen hood, and can be made to work with just about any SLR or rangefinder lens ever made. Really the only absolute plus that the K-01 has over the 5r is a microphone input.

I'm not trying to imply that the K-01 is a bad camera. At the school I work at we have 2 of them, and I'm the one who recommended we buy them. I like them quite a bit. However, these days they just don't have the bang for the buck that other mirrorless systems do.
12-27-2014, 03:06 AM   #29
Site Supporter

the K-01 is due for an update, probably announce in Feb,
12-27-2014, 06:02 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
the K-01 is due for an update, probably announce in Feb,
Yeah, the K-01iisx