Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2014, 02:58 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevetopia Quote
Thank you! I haven't done any photography in a decade which is sad since I took film (motion picture) in college. Hopefully I can get up to speed on this new fangled camera!

Nice choice. Your old knowledge will come back to you.

01-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Since you purchased the K5, which is a fine camera and choice even without all the newer technology. Two thing you may consider since you are going to be using mostly manual lenses is purchase a Katz eye split screen viewfinder or an 0-ME53 viewfinder loupe either of which will aide manually focusing. Reading this will aide you in how to set up and use your manual lenses with your camera https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Also in case you do not receive a hard copy of your manual then here is the downloadable one as well as any firmware updates Downloads & Literature - RICOH Imaging

If you going to do the updates READ the instructions very carefully or ask questions here before you attempt them as doing it improperly can render your camera useless and in need of a new main board.
01-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #48

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
If you going to do the updates READ the instructions very carefully or ask questions here before you attempt them as doing it improperly can render your camera useless and in need of a new main board.
That's very good to know! thank you.
01-06-2015, 08:54 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevetopia Quote
Hi Everyone I'm new to the forum, I just inherited my fathers old camera kit which includes pentax k-m42 adaptor, a 1;4/50 and 1;2/55 prime lenses a 1;3.5/28 and 1;3.5/135. I would love to put these to use. I grew up with my Father hauling this kit around where ever we went. I'm looking for recommendations on used camera body's in the $200-$300 range. SOmething to get back into as a hobbyist. Thanks!
Get an *istD. That way you can get the most accurate metering and also use TTL flash

02-10-2015, 02:41 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
5r doesn't have sensor-basedimage stabilization AFAIK. K-01 has all day battery. 5r doesn't have built-in flash and flash port is non-standard. K-01 has built in flash and standard hot shoe.

The 5r is probably a fine camera but I don't think it's fair to call the K-01 uncompetitive.
I know, super late reply, but...

Personally, I find constantly having to fiddle with the IS lens settings on a manual lens to be enough of an annoyance to just turn it off, but okay, I'll give you that one. Then again, the NEX does far better as the ISO goes up.

I usually get all day out of one battery for my NEX cameras, but if you are that worried about it, carry a spare, which will cost less than $10. You will still be carrying less bulk and weight than a K-01 by itself.

You are correct about the built in flash. I guess I tend to think very little of built in flashes. As far as your dig on the flash port, just buy a $5 adapter and leave it on the camera permanently. problem solved.

Of course I didn't cover the fact that if you don't use flash you could get an articulating EVF, and the 5R comes with an articulating screen, to which you can attach a screen hood. you can't have those things on a K-01 at any price. So yeah, the K-01 has a built in flash, and a microphone in port. Other than those 2 things the 5R wins, period.
02-11-2015, 06:47 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be tempted to get an older body like a K20 and put a split-focus screen in it. Then again, a newer body like the K5 with splitscreen would perform better.

that split screen will help your manual focus. I had one in my K10 and it worked very well.
02-11-2015, 07:06 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I know, super late reply, but...

Personally, I find constantly having to fiddle with the IS lens settings on a manual lens to be enough of an annoyance to just turn it off, but okay, I'll give you that one. Then again, the NEX does far better as the ISO goes up.

I usually get all day out of one battery for my NEX cameras, but if you are that worried about it, carry a spare, which will cost less than $10. You will still be carrying less bulk and weight than a K-01 by itself.

You are correct about the built in flash. I guess I tend to think very little of built in flashes. As far as your dig on the flash port, just buy a $5 adapter and leave it on the camera permanently. problem solved.

Of course I didn't cover the fact that if you don't use flash you could get an articulating EVF, and the 5R comes with an articulating screen, to which you can attach a screen hood. you can't have those things on a K-01 at any price. So yeah, the K-01 has a built in flash, and a microphone in port. Other than those 2 things the 5R wins, period.
Except that a Fuji mirrorless beats the Sony 5r in every conceivable way. So if you're going non-Pentax, Sony APS-C is not a good choice. A Fuji X-A1/X-A2 is better IMO.

(Why? Usability. The Fujis are absolutely intuitive to use as a photographer. The Sony's have terrible menus and controls that are confusing and unhelpful. The X-E2 is better for this than the X-A1/X-A2 but all of them are better than Sony.)

02-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Except that a Fuji mirrorless beats the Sony 5r in every conceivable way. So if you're going non-Pentax, Sony APS-C is not a good choice. A Fuji X-A1/X-A2 is better IMO.

(Why? Usability. The Fujis are absolutely intuitive to use as a photographer. The Sony's have terrible menus and controls that are confusing and unhelpful. The X-E2 is better for this than the X-A1/X-A2 but all of them are better than Sony.)
I agree some of the older E mount bodies have a menu system that is confusing at first, but I think you are being a bit to harsh. In reality the menu system on my NEX 3 is pretty similar to the one used on most DLSRs; the only real difference is that instead of being presented with a list of headings, you instead are presented with icons. Once you select a heading/icon, the menus are pretty much the same as any other camera. Furthermore, most models have the ability to customize what the physical controls do. The NEX 6 added a mode dial and a second control wheel further simplifying things, although I'm mostly an AV mode shooter, so it didn't really add much for me. All of the "a" series bodies have a menu system lifted straight from Sony's SLT cameras. All of that being said, the Fuji mirrorless cameras are very, very nice, and if you want a true shutter speed knob, there really aren't any other options.

When I got started on mirrorless shooting, the Sony system had two features that no other mirrorless system had at the time: Focus peaking, which was a must for my old school lenses, and an articulating screen with "nubs" for a screen hood to clip on to. But if I was starting over right now, and I didn't care about video, choosing between Fuji and Sony would be hard.
02-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #54
Veteran Member

If I were in your shoes....Just buy a K10 or K20.....sounds like that's all you really NEED.
02-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #55

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help guys, I already picked up a K-5.