Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #31

nice set of lenses to inherit

i'd +1 on K-01, K-50, and anything else with focus peaking for that matter. it's really a must-have feature for me. while the K-5 and K10d discussed are good cameras, i never warmed up to focusing on an APS-C camera, even with focus aids. the viewfinder isn't as bright as a film camera.

a used k-01 could probably be had for $200-$250 and a used k-50 was sitting in the marketplace here for $250 i think, but has now been sold. i'd look at the sold listings on ebay and here to look for current going prices and have some patience (i usually overpay because i'm impatient). the k-50 would be the better bet because if you don't like focusing on the screen, there's the viewfinder too. and it's weather resistant! and faster than the k-01 i believe. if you get a k-01, just realize that it's a mirrorless, but it's not a mirrorless. since it still has the K mount and not a new mount, it still has to have a large body. it's a mirrorless disguised in a dslr body sans mirror box

12-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevetopia Quote
Hi Everyone I'm new to the forum, I just inherited my fathers old camera kit which includes pentax k-m42 adaptor, a 1;4/50 and 1;2/55 prime lenses a 1;3.5/28 and 1;3.5/135. I would love to put these to use. I grew up with my Father hauling this kit around where ever we went. I'm looking for recommendations on used camera body's in the $200-$300 range. SOmething to get back into as a hobbyist. Thanks!
If you can bump your limit up $50 the K-50 is available brand new from Adorama and B&H with warranty (If they ship to Canada).
12-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #33

Original Poster
The unfortunate truth is that just converting from USD to CAD and adding taxes will bring my well above an additional $100. Buying a k-50 locally will cost me $472 after tax. I've been PMing about a K-5 with 9000 shutter clicks for $295.
12-27-2014, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
All of what you are saying is true, but you are ignoring 2 facts:

1) While it could be had new for that price then, the K-01 is actually more expensive now as a used camera.

2) Today, there are many far better mirrorless cameras available for significantly less than what the K-01 now costs. For example, the best deal I was able to find on ebay for a buy it now K-01 was $265. On the other hand, for $232 you can buy a Sony NEX 5r, M42 adapter, screen hood, wireless remote, and a spare battery. Compared to the K-01, the 5r is smaller, lighter, has a folding screen, can take a screen hood, and can be made to work with just about any SLR or rangefinder lens ever made. Really the only absolute plus that the K-01 has over the 5r is a microphone input.

I'm not trying to imply that the K-01 is a bad camera. At the school I work at we have 2 of them, and I'm the one who recommended we buy them. I like them quite a bit. However, these days they just don't have the bang for the buck that other mirrorless systems do.
5r doesn't have sensor-basedimage stabilization AFAIK. K-01 has all day battery. 5r doesn't have built-in flash and flash port is non-standard. K-01 has built in flash and standard hot shoe.

The 5r is probably a fine camera but I don't think it's fair to call the K-01 uncompetitive.

Last edited by johnmflores; 12-27-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: added stuff
12-29-2014, 11:06 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I have had some decent shots with k01 as well as k30, the advantage of k01 is its lighter weight, its disadvantage is its cdaf hunts in low light with autofocus lenses, so it's not as general purpose as a dslr with pdaf.
12-30-2014, 12:00 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like the set of lenses you inherited. A good span of classics.

I collected some of that series which I use exclusively now and bought a DSLR body to go with them. Think in your price range K-50 looks like a good choice - new so you get after sales support and it will work with those lenses with the APS-C sensor size so they will give you a mildly wide view (28) through to a reasonably long reach tele (135). A smaller sensor format would result in you losing the wideness of the wider one.

I see later messages - the K5 s/h would be a good camera so long as you trust the particular one.
12-30-2014, 02:10 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-500 if it's much cheaper than K-50. Lens is not WR anyway. Why bother getting a WR body?

12-30-2014, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #38

That's a silly thing to say lol... he can always get a couple WR lenses later, the K-50's WR kit lens isn't expensive and is a good (not great) all-around use for the price. And full kit only cost me $460, so he can save and go just body or save up a bit more and get the full thing. Plus warranty like people said. But having the WR gives him options in the future for rainy day shots or fun in the desert winds.

For now, my only WR lens is the 18-55mm WR kit lens the K-50 came with, and usually I have my 80-210 (non-WR) zoom on it. But there was a day with light rain and throwing on the kit lens I got some great shots of raindrop circles in puddles. And the camera did get wet!
12-30-2014, 06:23 PM   #39

Original Poster
I want to thank everyone for all their input I ended up finding a lightly used K-5 and look forward to trying out my lenses on it.
12-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I want to thank everyone for all their input I ended up finding a lightly used K-5 and look forward to trying out my lenses on it.
Congratulations!
12-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by whk1992 Quote
K-500 if it's much cheaper than K-50. Lens is not WR anyway. Why bother getting a WR body?
My lenses are not K-mount why bother getting a K-mount body anyway?
12-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #42
Veteran Member

My lenses are not K-mount why bother getting a K-mount body anyway?
M42 lenses work rather well on lightly used K-5s.
12-30-2014, 06:29 PM   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Congratulations!
Thank you! I haven't done any photography in a decade which is sad since I took film (motion picture) in college. Hopefully I can get up to speed on this new fangled camera!
12-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Thank you! I haven't done any photography in a decade which is sad since I took film (motion picture) in college. Hopefully I can get up to speed on this new fangled camera!
The first thing to learn about that new fangled camera is that it costs $0 to make mistakes. It's just a LOT cheaper to operate day-to-day than film ever was (even if you developed for yourself). So, the main way to learn is to experiment, read, review your photos, and try again. Lots to the new camera, and lots of guides here on things like settings (enable Aperture, etc.) among the various posts. Most of all - Enjoy!
12-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #45

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The first thing to learn about that new fangled camera is that it costs $0 to make mistakes. It's just a LOT cheaper to operate day-to-day than film ever was (even if you developed for yourself). So, the main way to learn is to experiment, read, review your photos, and try again. Lots to the new camera, and lots of guides here on things like settings (enable Aperture, etc.) among the various posts. Most of all - Enjoy!
You're absolutely right! I remember learning with film which always felt like you were running out of exposures right when you needed more. Then the wait for the development only to find out that none of them were worth keeping! Digital is going to be sooo relaxing haha.