Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kids are hard to catch. Flash helps a lot as the lens aperture is usually smaller and you have greater depth of focus. I have a whole series of shots that I took with manual focus lenses on my K5 and K5-IIs from Yellowstone taken in 2013. Almost every on of them has soft focus. I was lazy and used focus confirmation. That was a mistake. So before I went there this ear I practiced around the house and yard wit hboth manual and auto focus lenses. The results compared to last year were amazing. I am no newby at photography. I got my first SLR over 40 years ago. But these newfangled DSLR's ave a learning curve associated with them. Even for old timers like me.

They do have one awesome feature though. Almost instantaneous review. While the critters are sleeping take a little time and simply sit in a nice comfortable chair and take a few shots of items in the room. Play with all the modes and functions on the camera. then look at your results on the LCD viewer and see what works best.

Finally there is this. Below is a photograph of "The Blur". My now 2 year old grandson. There is nothing technically good about this photograph other than the exposure. Yet it is my favorite photograph of him. It fits him exactly. A bundle of energy who only stops moving to sleep. It was shot with a Sigma 17-70mm lens at F4.0 and 1/4 second. I was just goofing around with the camera.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
12-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flugelbinder Quote
That's what I've been 'hearing' too. Wish I could have the choice...
I don't know about that, but if the K-5 II is an improvement, the K-5 must be a nightmare.
Yup. It is.

The k3 is a huge improvement over the original k5 in every single metric.

To the OP: instead of selecting AF.s on the MF/AF dial, give it a go with 'C' instead (that may help with tracking those kids)
12-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about that, but if the K-5 II is an improvement, the K-5 must be a nightmare.
Sometimes you just can't help but wonder how some folks magically seem to be able to get good shots with a K-5 ...
Let m assure you the K-5 is not a nightmare; it's still a very capable camera.
12-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Sometimes you just can't help but wonder how some folks magically seem to be able to get good shots with a K-5 ...
I just can't help to wonder how many missed shots they got also...
The K-5 II is a very capable camera - can't discuss the K-5 because I have never tried one - and its sensor does deliver, but that does not mean it hasn't its faults when it comes to its auto focus inconsistency.
I've only been in this forum for a couple of weeks, but I've seen more FLAOs here then in any other (except maybe DPReview)... Many however, maybe the more experienced ones, just accept things as they are. I know I have and that's why I've just ordered a 50/1.8 and am looking for a well priced 55-300... Gonna squeeze all I can (within my financial limitations) from the K-5 II...

---------- Post added 12-28-14 at 09:31 AM ----------

I was amazed at how good the Fuji images looked, and how accurate the colors were... Until I started looking at the Pentax's files...

Last edited by Flugelbinder; 12-28-2014 at 09:29 AM.
12-28-2014, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Your post is a logical fallacy.

The k5 can take good images, but that has absolutely no relation to the fact the auto focus has limitations.

I develop my own film from the various 67, 645, and 135 pentax bodies of old, all of which are manual focus. Auto focus is not a requirement for good results from *any* camera.

At no point, anywhere in this thread, has anyone said that the k5 is a camera that cannot take good images. You are the first person to mention that, and have done so within a logical fallacy.

What has been mentioned, is that some users of the k5 are unable to trust the autofocus. If your style of photography hits these problems frequently (as in my case), then the autofocus can be rightly be considered a nightmare.

I am one such individual, and I've already stated that I've had to change my style to accommodate the camera's autofocus, and will happily revert to MF if/when I need to.

I've tried a k3, the autofocus is a huge improvement over the k5 (wrt the kind of shots I take). I find the k5 autofocus a nightmare in comparison. Is there anything in those two sentences you disagree with?
12-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bleuwater Quote
Is anybody else frustrated with the autofocus on the K-5 or is it just me Over half my photos are blurry, and I lose some really great shots! Often I can't tell they are blurry from my viewfinder, it's when i upload them. I have better results using manual focus, but am trying to capture busy toddlers a lot of the time. Maybe it's just me and it will get better with experience, or perhaps it's just the nature of photography? Maybe I just need glasses. For now though it's bumming me out.
I've had the K5 for few years now coming from a K-x. It is capable of producing fantastic images but I do admit, I find the focusing speed and accuracy somewhat temperamental, especially indoors or lowlight conditions. Of course, many of the missed shots were attributed to user error even today. To make matters worse, I was tasked at my workplace to drive a Nikon D800 – it isn't really a fair comparison but focusing speed and accuracy, that thing eats K5 for breakfast, lunch and dinner (and your wallet)!

I shoot quite a few indoor Tae Kwon Do ceremony events, where I take photos of students standing side-by-side getting ready for their new belts. Unfortunately, despite the fact that the K5 gave focus confirmation every time and seemingly good enough (to my eye) through the viewfinder, results I would get are random at best regardless of lens used – some subjects will be in focus, while others are completely out-of-focus (not even front/back focus). I've sent the camera for calibration with at least one lens (18-135WR) which helped immensely with sharpness, but AF can still get frustrating at times especially indoors. Although outdoors in bright sunlight AF is always dead-on. As good as the K5 sensor is, its AF performance can be tricky from time to time. One technique I learned to get accurate AF on every indoor photos is to actually defocus the camera prior to taking the actual shot – either I focus on my hand in front of the lens or twist the focusing ring on a lens with quick-shift then AF on the actual subject. So far, it works for the type of photography I do but YMMV. I don't have any experience with K5II, K5IIs or K3, yet!

On a side note, I've been playing around with my K-01's focus peaking zoomed in, wow! Suddenly MF is no longer...intimidating to me! If only the K5 had this feature..

12-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I just got a K3 from a regular K5... The first version....it's not horrible but it's not good either. What I always did is first calibrate my lenses, and two if I was in some questionable lighting (IE dim lighting) or if I was trying to shoot wide open with a f1.4 lens I would just manual focus.

I guess it all depends on what you want out of photography as a whole and what you are shooting.

---------- Post added 12-28-14 at 01:23 PM ----------

Here is another thing that I find 'interesting'...

I did my interview with Sean Davey for the forum...

Sean Davey Exclusive Interview - Photography | PentaxForums.com

Read the section about how they 'used to do it'... they were swimming in and swimming out with a big camera housing in huge surf, with a manual focus film camera shooting high speed action photography and taking cover shots while he was at it.

Autofocus is a luxury. Period. It does not make a better photographer to have Auto focus.

I have also heard of a guy who was on the sidelines of an NFL game during a blinding snow storm...he was shooting with high dollar gear but the snow kept on messing up his shots. His solution? Turn off the AF and manually focus everything. His shots came out amazing.

Read this:

Lions and Eagles and Snow, Oh My! - First State Focus

Autofocus is a gripe among many, but the people who know what they are doing use it when they can, but don't have to use it at all if they don't need to.

Knowing how to manual focus for action photography is a skill that needs to be practiced.

I shot an entire rodeo manual focusing and came out with some great shots....

Last edited by alamo5000; 12-28-2014 at 12:30 PM.
12-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #23

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your responses. I have not tried doing any tests on my camera or lenses yet, so I will look into that. I also plan to take it into to get cleaned. My lenses are, 18-135mm, 50mm 1.8, and I just recently purchased the 43mm, and the 77mm lens. I have 3 examples I quickly took out of my iPhoto trash, they all happen to be taken with the 43mm, but I have the same issue with whichever lens I am using which is why I've been thinking it was a camera issue, or of course a photographer issue haha, as I've still got a lot to learn. I have definitely played with all the autofocus points, and that helps, but when I'm just hoping to trust my central autofocus , for a quick photo. I really find I can't.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-28-2014, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bleuwater Quote
Thank you everyone for your responses. I have not tried doing any tests on my camera or lenses yet, so I will look into that. I also plan to take it into to get cleaned. My lenses are, 18-135mm, 50mm 1.8, and I just recently purchased the 43mm, and the 77mm lens. I have 3 examples I quickly took out of my iPhoto trash, they all happen to be taken with the 43mm, but I have the same issue with whichever lens I am using which is why I've been thinking it was a camera issue, or of course a photographer issue haha, as I've still got a lot to learn. I have definitely played with all the autofocus points, and that helps, but when I'm just hoping to trust my central autofocus , for a quick photo. I really find I can't.

That first shot is a tell all. You are backfocusing. It's your lens. Fine focus adjust and then try again.

And just for the record I have found that the 43mm does struggle a little bit on the K5. I have both a K5 and a 43mm so I had to test and play and adjust some. I was thinking I had to send my lens off for calibration, then I put it on a K3 and it seems on now

But in the K5 body I was having to apply the max on my fine focus adjustment to get shots in focus.... that's what that tool is there for.

But just because one lens back focuses doesn't mean all lenses will back focus... each lens should be tested seperately in good light.

Check out this link.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/lens-align-front-back-focus/introduction.html?src=al

Last edited by alamo5000; 12-28-2014 at 12:45 PM.
12-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I have a K-5 and now a K-3. From my experience, the biggest problem with K-5 AF is that it has different behavior under different light conditions. It takes a larger aperture lens to see this problem clearly. One such lens is FA43. Under indoor lighting, my K-5 AF is spot-on. But under outdoor bright lighting, it back focuses. If I fine tune AF to make outdoor focus accurate, then it would front focuses in indoor. This behavior is true for all my large aperture lenses, e.g. FA24, FA31, FA43, FA77, F135, DA200. The problem is very clear to me.

My K-3 doesn't have this problem. My old K10D doesn't have this behavior either but consistently back focuses until I fine tuned it.
12-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
I have a K-5 and now a K-3. From my experience, the biggest problem with K-5 AF is that it has different behavior under different light conditions. It takes a larger aperture lens to see this problem clearly. One such lens is FA43. Under indoor lighting, my K-5 AF is spot-on. But under outdoor bright lighting, it back focuses. If I fine tune AF to make outdoor focus accurate, then it would front focuses in indoor. This behavior is true for all my large aperture lenses, e.g. FA24, FA31, FA43, FA77, F135, DA200. The problem is very clear to me.

My K-3 doesn't have this problem. My old K10D doesn't have this behavior either but consistently back focuses until I fine tuned it.

That's just the thing... if a photographer (any photographer) is going to rely on something like AF they need to at least understand basically what it does and how it will react to certain things. It's like knowing before hand that your girlfriend doesn't like something but you do it anyway..you already know how this is going to turn out so just work around it.
12-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote

But don't you think in his case it's too far off? My K-5 didn't miss by that much, even before doing any AF Fine Adjustments, IIRC.

My suggestion would be to experiment with only the FA77 for now. It's not only an excellent lens (which generally focused well for me), it can be tested between f/1.8 and f/2.2. If he can't get good results with it (especially after doing an AF Fine Adjustment) he should send the camera in.

---------- Post added 12-28-14 at 01:18 PM ----------

No it is not! That is the problem with some of Pentax users. It's a big problem and people need to be aware of it.
Would love to try a K-3 (using a K-5 II) and see for myself if the issues are gone - or at least mitigated - but unfortunately it's not very easy to sell a Pentax...
Fortunately we now have more information. It appears to me it's a camera problem - but not because he has a K-5 instead of a K-5 II or K-3.

However, I don't believe I have enough information about your problem (though perhaps you've already shared it) - it could well be that in your case a camera upgrade is in order.

Also, Google doesn't seem to know what FLAOs are, and neither do I. Perhaps you could tell me what it stands for?

Last edited by DSims; 12-28-2014 at 02:19 PM.
12-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #28
Site Supporter

The AF in the K-3 is much better but I have taken some very nice shots relying on the AF with the K-5
12-28-2014, 06:31 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

But no one can deny that it is a real problem, at least with the K-5s.
Really? I can emphatically deny it. I have no complaints with mine and I happen to be someone as well as others.

I just said that it is difficult to sell a Pentax camera, as I'm trying to sell the K-5 II, to get a K-3, that's all
Again Really? I don't see it listed in the Market Place, where better to sell Pentax related items.

BUT, I need to know that when I'll go out to shoot for someone, as in being paid for, I will not have 'surprises' with missed focus - that are not user error...
I suggest before you go out and try to get paid for you better know your gear and what your doing in any case and then have back up in case of faulty gear error... There are no guarantees when you go on a paid shoot your gear wont fail at times... Been there done that in the past.

How about the dinner plate size focus point? P.S. - Do you even realize how many threads there are regarding this 'issue'?
Give me a freaking break, Dinner plate? The only time mine misses the narrowest of focus points is when I've screwed up either through movement, improper selection of settings, or misjudgement of my depth of field and as a matter of fact that has been with every camera I have ever owned.. Otherwise mine has been extremely accurate with every lens I own. I find people blame their cameras much more than their own inadequacies using them. Garbage in Garbage out for the most part. One's dslr is a precision instrument it can't be presumed to be used like a point and shoot and more knowledge of all facets of photography and familiarity with it is required to get the most out of it. If one doesn't pay attention to detail, both photographically and gear wise, when using it then it Will Not render the best results it and the lens used with it can. The sad part is a lot of times that is after the fact and sometimes the moment can't be reproduced. I blame myself, some don't have enough knowledge and aren't sure what to blame, some others blame their cameras instead of their error, It's easier that way and a few have a legitimate beef. Can there be gear error, sure. Is it fixable, mostly yes. For the most part these problems people are touting as an "Issue" in reality if one were to check with the amount of users using that same camera just might find in reality the "issue" is miniscule if looked at as a whole of users.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 12-28-2014 at 08:21 PM.
12-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #30

I agree with you 100% Oldbayrunner.
My K5 work very well indeed. The AF was not slow or inaccurate. The only problem reported was front focusing in tungsten light. I tested my K5 and found only a few mm's of front focus which could easily be compensated for by making sure you focused athe front or just in front of the subject.
In normal low light the focus was accurate even with just a single candle lighting the scene.
When I got the K3 the focus was faster but only slightly with most lenses, but made a big difference with the Tamron 70-200 f2.8, no more hunting form one end to the other.
My wife now uses my old K5 with a Pentax 18-135 and although she has little photographic knowledge and uses the camera in green mode she still gets great photos.