Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #16

Original Poster
Wow thanks for all the advice. Seems like pretty much everyone is in agreement about keeping the K-30. I agree it's an absolutely fantastic camera. I'm mostly a landscape photographer, but I still understand some situations where it would be useful to have two cameras for two quick different focal lengths. I think I'll try this out for a couple months and if I truly find myself not using the K-30 I'll sell it and put that money towards a new lens. I also think I'm going to sell my MX-1, because it looks like it's actually selling for more than I bought it at on eBay right now, and I'll put this money towards a new lens as well.
Again thank you so much for advice. You all completely changed my thoughts on this.

12-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really like the idea of having another body with an alternate lens ready to go. There have been many shots I didn't get because I didn't/couldn't change lenses in time. If you're not dying for the extra money in your pocket, I'd keep it.
12-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #18

The K30 is an excellent backup camera if only for the fact that in an emergency you can use it with AA batteries. One of the reasons I bought my K50 to back up my K5ll. The others include smaller size and lighter weight. Current trade in value is also relatively small.

Suggest you either keep it (for the time being at least) or else consider trading it in for a good prime lens or pro quality zoom, which majority opinion suggests is necessary to get the best out of the K3, once you have learned how to get the best out of it with your present lenses.
12-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Adding to the advice. I'm thinking about buying one as back up. I sold mine when i got the K3. If you can afford to keep it, definitely do. Some shots and lenses will be better with it.

12-30-2014, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sdenby Quote
I think I'll try this out for a couple months and if I truly find myself not using the K-30 I'll sell it and put that money towards a new lens.
You'll most likely not use it....then think about a lens you desire and sell the K30.

If you are a keen photographer that has the means then having a spare body is worth the small sunk cost. I'd readily have a second body than another lens (assuming you have a few lenses).

Ive dropped my K5II in situation where I would have paid for a new one imediately (holiday in China)......... i've sent it for a repair that went backwards and forwards for months on end to the repairer.....missed not having a DSLR. I've been in situations where Ive used two bodies for a shoot......whilst not necessary it does give you options.

Also a second body allows you to commit to a photo session for an important event with some duplication of equipment to ensure YOU don't let anybody down.

You need to look at it like having a spare in the boot......

On a final note....you become a target for Murphy if you sell it...... shit happens to those unprepaired!
12-30-2014, 04:11 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
I still think that the K30's design is "iconic" enough to justify keeping/collecting it.
yes that is absolutely correct, I kept my K-30 , I love the grip and AA batteries option, it is light and small, great for short "dirty" trips, like to Cambodia.
I am not in hurry to get rid of it.
12-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
id keep it for the dirty or dangerous places you rather not bring k3
12-31-2014, 02:34 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
id keep it for the dirty or dangerous places you rather not bring k3
From another thread:-

"Been out in the kayak taking pictures today... We had a couple of sunny days in a row, so the Xmas lights came down yesterday and the boat got wet today. Slightly above freezing, so no ice-breaker pics. BUT, it was with my K-30 , which does better than me , "