Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I would love to see an even higher spec body from Pentax next year. I recently purchased two K10D bodies for work after my experience with the DL (an entry-level body that I actually enjoyed using more than a Canon 1DmkII or 20D).

However, I hope the R&D technicians at Pentax spend more time with the sensor and firmware. Although I love the K10D I've finally started to notice the pattern noise/banding that many K10D owners have talked about. It isn't a problem if my exposures are right, but if I have to push a low ISO exposure more than about 1 stop or if I push an 800 or 1600 ISO image AT ALL I start to see the pattern noise in the image.

To test this I pushed images from the DL as much as 4 stops and never saw pattern noise like I'm seeing in pushed K10D images. That said, even with the pattern noise I'd take the K10D over any other DSLR I've used over the years ... but this IS an issue that Pentax needs to address. A pro-level body should produce images that can be pushed without producing "bars" over the image.

02-05-2007, 02:56 AM   #32
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
I would love to see an even higher spec body from Pentax next year. I recently purchased two K10D bodies for work after my experience with the DL (an entry-level body that I actually enjoyed using more than a Canon 1DmkII or 20D).

However, I hope the R&D technicians at Pentax spend more time with the sensor and firmware. Although I love the K10D I've finally started to notice the pattern noise/banding that many K10D owners have talked about. It isn't a problem if my exposures are right, but if I have to push a low ISO exposure more than about 1 stop or if I push an 800 or 1600 ISO image AT ALL I start to see the pattern noise in the image.

To test this I pushed images from the DL as much as 4 stops and never saw pattern noise like I'm seeing in pushed K10D images. That said, even with the pattern noise I'd take the K10D over any other DSLR I've used over the years ... but this IS an issue that Pentax needs to address. A pro-level body should produce images that can be pushed without producing "bars" over the image.
do you have a link where i can see images of this patern noise ?
02-05-2007, 08:37 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
You have to love KEH. I've bought 6 lenses from them and their rating system is great.

I'd buy more from KEH but I have a lot of trouble FINDING lenses there. I can't understand why everybody does not make it as easy as Adorama.

Will
02-05-2007, 08:56 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Will,
I don't understand your statement. A couple of clicks and you have a list of every Pentax lens they have broken down to Auto, K mount manual, and screw mount.

regards,

02-05-2007, 09:34 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I don't understand your statement. A couple of clicks and you have a list of every Pentax lens they have broken down to Auto, K mount manual, and screw mount.
Ken,

Apparently you know where to click. Not obvious at all to me. I go to keh.com's home page. In the search form in the upper left corner of the page, there is something called Advanced Search. I select this because I don't see a "non-advanced search" option anywhere. In the first field, I select Pentax digital. I'm not actually sure what I'm selecting here - cameras? lenses? - but it seems like the thing to do. In the second field, I select "Fixed Focal Lengths". I notice that these fields are separated by "and/or", which prompts me to wonder, which is it - and or or? But at this point I figure I can click "Go", so I do. I get a useless page that says
SEE PENTAX AUTOFOCUS FIXED FOCAL LENGTH LENSES FOR MORE LENSES DIGITAL SLRSEE AUTOFOCUS FIXED FOCAL LENGTH LENSES FOR MORE LENSES---------- LE

Somehow I keep ending up at this message. I have succeeded a couple of times, but only by trial and error and I still have not figured the site out. I build sites like this for a living. I think this one stinks.

Adorama's site, by comparison, is a piece of cake. From the home page, you select "cameras and lenses" link on the left; then select "35mm & Digital SLR lenses" from the first paragraph of options on the next page - and bam! you see everything. Then you can narrow your search using the check boxes on the left. If KEH has a search UI similar to this, I haven't found it yet and would be delighted to know where it is!

By the way, you said that KEH would have everything broken down into Auto, K-mount and screw mount. I don't know what screw mount is, exactly, but I'm pretty sure I don't want it. But what is "Auto" in this set of options? Reminds me of another problem I have on KEH's site - trying to guess what "Non-Mfg" means.

Will

02-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I agree to a point...

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote

I cant see any patterns at <800 ISO even with pushing unless I ramp up the saturation fairly hard. Its really not a factor if I expose correctly even up to ISO1000, and I seldom shoot higher.
But I agree its an issue and it needs to be fixed even if its not affecting my studio work.
OTOH, I love the colour from this camera more than any other I have yet seen ion the market.
02-05-2007, 10:53 AM   #37
Site Supporter

The problem is you're searching for digital lenses. Instead, from the main page, click on the "camera store" tab. You'll see two columns with several headings. The first heading is 35mm. There are 3 pentax choices under this heading: Pentax Autofocus, Pentax Manual focus, and Pentax screwmount.

That's where you want to be.

Non-mfg means lenses made by Tamron, Sigma, etc as opposed to lenses made by Pentax, etc.

Screwmount lenses can be used on your K-mount camera with the use of an adaptor.

Hope this helps.

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Ken,

Apparently you know where to click. Not obvious at all to me. I go to keh.com's home page. In the search form in the upper left corner of the page, there is something called Advanced Search. I select this because I don't see a "non-advanced search" option anywhere. In the first field, I select Pentax digital. I'm not actually sure what I'm selecting here - cameras? lenses? - but it seems like the thing to do. In the second field, I select "Fixed Focal Lengths". I notice that these fields are separated by "and/or", which prompts me to wonder, which is it - and or or? But at this point I figure I can click "Go", so I do. I get a useless page that says
SEE PENTAX AUTOFOCUS FIXED FOCAL LENGTH LENSES FOR MORE LENSES DIGITAL SLRSEE AUTOFOCUS FIXED FOCAL LENGTH LENSES FOR MORE LENSES---------- LE

Somehow I keep ending up at this message. I have succeeded a couple of times, but only by trial and error and I still have not figured the site out. I build sites like this for a living. I think this one stinks.

Adorama's site, by comparison, is a piece of cake. From the home page, you select "cameras and lenses" link on the left; then select "35mm & Digital SLR lenses" from the first paragraph of options on the next page - and bam! you see everything. Then you can narrow your search using the check boxes on the left. If KEH has a search UI similar to this, I haven't found it yet and would be delighted to know where it is!

By the way, you said that KEH would have everything broken down into Auto, K-mount and screw mount. I don't know what screw mount is, exactly, but I'm pretty sure I don't want it. But what is "Auto" in this set of options? Reminds me of another problem I have on KEH's site - trying to guess what "Non-Mfg" means.

Will

02-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #38
Veteran Member

How to use the KEH site

Will,
Try this. Under advanced search in the first drop down go to "35MM". There are 3 options:
1) Pentax Auto Focus
2) Pentax Manual Focus
3) Pentax screw mount

Chose one of the 3. Let's say you choose Pentax Manual Focus. The next drop down box is labeled "And/or". Click on that for another drop down list. Page down to the heading "Lenses". Under lenses you have several selections.
1)Fixed focal length. These are all Pentax branded lenses
2)Non-Mfg fixed focal length. These are alll the other brands that work on Pentax, i.e. Sigma

Click on one of these and then go to 3ed drop down box where it says key word and click on "GO".

This separates the type of lenses available and makes searching much easier.
BTW, screw mount lense are the ones you need an adapter for. They are real buys and well worth learning about.

Regards,

02-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #39
Veteran Member

MPRINCE,
Guess we were both answering at the same time. You answer is much shorter and better than mine.

regards,
02-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #40
Site Supporter

MPRINCE,
Guess we were both answering at the same time. You answer is much shorter and better than mine.

regards,
Aww, shucks
02-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
The problem is you're searching for digital lenses.
Well, I am inclined to say that the problem is that KEH's site is badly organized. KEH gives me a choice between "digital" and "35mm" and the correct choice is the one that's incorrect, if I can speak precisely about it. My K100D is a digital camera - not a 35mm camera. Adorama's category is "35mm & digital SLR", which is correct and sensible. I can see now that KEH doesn't use terms the way the rest of the world does and I'm grateful to you for the help.

QuoteQuote:
Non-mfg means lenses made by Tamron, Sigma, etc as opposed to lenses made by Pentax, etc.
Do you know what "mfg" stands for? I can't guess. And when I click on "Non-Mfg Fixed Focal Length Lenses," I get a list of lenses made by - Pentax. Same thing happens if I go via Pentax Autofocus to start with: "Non-Mfg" gives me a list of Pentax lenses.

I'll keep at it for my own sake. I do like a deal.

QuoteQuote:
Hope this helps.
Yes and thanks.

Will
02-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Will,
Try this....

Thanks, Ken. See my reply to Matt. Trust me - this is what I do for a living - it's just a badly organized site. Does not mean that KEH isn't a great company to buy lenses from. Doesn't even mean that one can't use it AFTER you figure it out. You could use a phone book with entries sorted by middle name, so long as you knew the middle name of the person you wanted to find AND you knew how the book was sorted. I will keep at it - or simply call them and talk to them. Last time I placed an order, the web site gagged at the end of the process, I called, they assured me the order hadn't gone through, I placed the order over the phone - and I ended up getting two lenses in two packages. I think the safest thing might be to order over the phone in the future.

Will
02-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Will,
I like the way it's organized, makes complete sense to me.
BTW "mfg" stands for manufacturer. The heading in the non-mfg section says Pentax Lens but if you read the description it states the mfg name.

Regards,
02-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
me too Will. Adorama's system is the easiest to navigate that I've found. It's nice that the people at the brick and mortar store are nice than at B&H and that it's easier for me to get to, too. Unfortunately, they don't have the stock that B&H does, at least in pentax stuff.

NaCl(would do all my shopping at Adorama if I could)H2O +
02-05-2007, 01:22 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Alot of the lenses are under "35mm" because they were originally designed for 35mm film cameras

They will also work on your Digital K-mount bodies, but 35-mm came first!

I would guess that "Digital" lenses would be those lenses that are designed to work only on our crop bodies (Sigma's DC lenses, Tamron's Dii lenses, and Pentax's DA lenses)