Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I cant see any patterns at <800 ISO even with pushing unless I ramp up the saturation fairly hard. Its really not a factor if I expose correctly even up to ISO1000, and I seldom shoot higher.
But I agree its an issue and it needs to be fixed even if its not affecting my studio work.
OTOH, I love the colour from this camera more than any other I have yet seen ion the market.

Yep. Like I said in my earlier post the noise pattern isn't really a problem unless you really screw up the exposure and try to fix it in post. It's not an issue at all if your exposures are correct.

The pattern noise has really only been a problem with one ISO 1600 image that I've taken with the K10D ... one 1600 image out of 20 or 30 so far. I likewise try to stay below 800 most of the time (regardless of the camera being used).

But the web is full of a more than a couple K10D owners who have complained about the pattern noise/banding, so this is something Pentax will need to address (particularly if they want to capture more and more of the pro market).

02-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
Yep. Like I said in my earlier post the noise pattern isn't really a problem unless you really screw up the exposure and try to fix it in post. It's not an issue at all if your exposures are correct.

The pattern noise has really only been a problem with one ISO 1600 image that I've taken with the K10D ... one 1600 image out of 20 or 30 so far. I likewise try to stay below 800 most of the time (regardless of the camera being used).

But the web is full of a more than a couple K10D owners who have complained about the pattern noise/banding, so this is something Pentax will need to address (particularly if they want to capture more and more of the pro market).
Heh - actually I think the pros dont care much as long as its "excellent" at ISO 100-400 - they are more likely to carry a tripod and/or a fast lens. Its specifically hobbyists who are most most concerned about this.

For pros to go Pentax they simply need to expand the system to capture a specific market (like Canon and the papperazzi). Given their old studio, landscape and PJ history thats perhaps where they need to focus now, but with 35mm and MF. The exposure modes, weather proofing and AS, compact fast lenses and the new 50-135 F2.8 zoom, could make the K10D a serious PJ tool - a kind of modern day M2 - and it would certainly be a great studio tool, as would the 645.
No point in trying to wean sports photogs away from their boomers (Canons with 600mm F4 lenses) or flappers (8fps on the Nikon D2Xs
02-05-2007, 07:03 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is the pattern noise improved with firmware 1.10 as they claimed it would be?
02-06-2007, 12:14 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
100-400 Asa

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Heh - actually I think the pros dont care much as long as its "excellent" at ISO 100-400 - they are more likely to carry a tripod and/or a fast lens. Its specifically hobbyists who are most most concerned about this.

For pros to go Pentax they simply need to expand the system to capture a specific market (like Canon and the papperazzi). Given their old studio, landscape and PJ history thats perhaps where they need to focus now, but with 35mm and MF. The exposure modes, weather proofing and AS, compact fast lenses and the new 50-135 F2.8 zoom, could make the K10D a serious PJ tool - a kind of modern day M2 - and it would certainly be a great studio tool, as would the 645.
No point in trying to wean sports photogs away from their boomers (Canons with 600mm F4 lenses) or flappers (8fps on the Nikon D2Xs
In my case you are absolutely right. I have only shot 800 asa once for a magazine, because that is the effect I wanted. I wanted some grain. In general however I will shoot at 100 asa exclusively as that was the case with Canon and now Pentax.

Last edited by benjikan; 02-06-2007 at 12:33 AM.
02-06-2007, 01:15 AM   #50
Inactive Account

but i don't understand, DA series ar enot as good as AF series ? its what you mean ?
02-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nlex Quote
but i don't understand, DA series ar enot as good as AF series ? its what you mean ?
They each have their own unique properties IMO.. I wouldn't make a wide sweeping statement that all FA are better than all DA..
02-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #52
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Point blank:
Fast 2.8 zooms, fast and ultra fast primes standard+ telephotos F1.8-2.8 and a secondary range of telephotos that are like F4 and reasonable in price.
Also they NEED a macro flash, AF teleconverters, and AF ex-tubes
I agree with pretty much all of this. However, on the site I purchased my K100D from it lists a Pentax AF-140C Flash. It is a macro ring flash. I don't know how old or how good it is, but I thought I would point it out. Oh, and its expensive

Here's the link Pentax AF-140C Flash

Edit: Henry's has it too Henry's Photo - Video - Digital
02-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #53
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by balofagus Quote
I agree with pretty much all of this. However, on the site I purchased my K100D from it lists a Pentax AF-140C Flash. It is a macro ring flash. I don't know how old or how good it is, but I thought I would point it out. Oh, and its expensive

The AF140c is a perfectly good TTL ringflash. I've got one, although I bought it as a factory refurb (former Pentax sample/demo). No one ever said that this was going to be a cheap hobby...

02-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #54

A few comments about lenses from one who is about to buy his first Pentax: I bought a Fuji S3 18 months ago after 30 years with Olympus OM. One of the reasons for buying an F-mount camera was Nikon's large range of lenses, particularly primes. During those 18 months, Nikon has actually discontinued lots of their primes under 100mm, and they have still not launched a wide-angle prime for the APS-C format (except for the 10.5mm fish-eye). Some of the discontinued primes were manual focus, but most of them have not been replaced by AF equivalents.

Reading countless posts about Pentax' "small" selection of lenses makes me wonder. The fact is that Pentax, as far as I can see, during the last ten years have launched more primes below 100mm than any other camera manufacturer. Pentax is also the only camera manufacturer that makes an extensive range of APS-C primes.

I agree that it's rather thin above 100mm, and something obviously has to be done (135mm f/2.0 Limited? Yes please). But one of the most important reasons for me to buy Pentax is the selection of compact, high quality lenses that can be bought for reasonable prices
02-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #55
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by balofagus Quote

Unfortunately, K100D & K10D are not supporting TTL anymore so AF-140C flash can not be used with these cameras. Maybe only in manual mode.