Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2007, 03:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
The only problem for Pentax is that they don't currently produce a good range of lenses, and you have to dig up the older lenses to find some quality and performance.

I sincerely hope they remedy this issue with additional lenses not shown on the current roadmap...

In terms of DSLRs, however, I'd have to agree that they have a promising future.
My ongoing state of abject poverty had me looking primarily at the latest offerings in the Fuji fixed-lens models, but after almost two decades away from SLR (AE-1) I really wanted to get away from P&S and back into SLR (digital, of course) if at all possible.

My options were the Nikon D40 and the K100d. A little research revealed some info indicating that the nature of the D40s auto-focus mechanism was going to be severely limiting in terms of lens acquisition. Considerable net research into the K100d and the backwards compatibility of lenses easily tilted the scales to Pentax. In other words, I came to Pentax specifically because of the ability to build up a collection of glass composed primarily of pre-loved lenses.

I bought the K100d with the kit lens, of course, and at the same time picked up the FA J 75-300 to go with it. Over 90% of my shooting is done while seated at the wheel of a tractor-trailer, so I rely a lot on serendipity and the long end of the zoom. I usually have only a few seconds at red lights to either "shoot it or lose it". I'm far from being an accomplished shutterbug, so the arcane niceties of the various fine points of higher quality lenses is entirely lost on me at this point, and those two bargain-quality lenses usually do me quite nicely. At any rate, new glass of a better quality is strictly out of my budget.

I was fortunate enough to find several positive comments on the web regarding KEH in Atlanta and after having the camera for only a couple of weeks I picked up a couple of older primes, primarily for the added speed they would give me in low-light situations. As I said, I don't normally have the luxury of adjusting myself for either light or composition. I picked up a 50/f2 (A) and a Takumar Bayonet 135/f2.5 (M) (yeah, the one with a reputation for flare). Each of them ran me about 50 bucks. I have to say I am very well pleased with both of them.

Most especially I am grateful to those on Pentax Forums who have posted instructions on how to put the M and A lenses to use on the K100d. Without that info, I would never have invested in the old lenses, the two of which now spend the bulk of the time on the camera, with the auto-focus zooms sitting in their bag in the sleeper.

Now I am even looking forward to picking up an old Pentax film body for the dual purposes of teaching my children what little I know about photography and doing some long-exposure night shots. I've taken a few nice night time shots with the K100d, but I think the money I'd end up putting toward extra batteries to facilitate noctural outings would better be put toward a mechanical shuttered obsoleted film body.....and I take comfort in knowing that I already have glass to mount on one.

Looking forward to learning more from all the nice and friendly folks here.

02-02-2007, 04:22 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Welcome and great post. You have to love KEH. I've bought 6 lenses from them and their rating system is great. Your evaluation of the D40/K100D seems to me right on. Hope you plan on posting some photos soon.

Regards,
02-02-2007, 04:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I cant wait to see what pentax's next move is.

If they did release a competitor to the d200, then chances are i would be waiting at the front of the line to purchase one.

It would also be good if they released some good quality "reasonably" priced lenses. I would love to shoot only pentax lenses but because of the high price of a lot of them and the limited availability i will end up with a bag full of 3rd party (read, sigma only) lenses.
02-02-2007, 05:28 AM   #19
wll
Veteran Member

The only problem for Pentax is that they don't currently produce a good range of lenses, and you have to dig up the older lenses to find some quality and performance.

I sincerely hope they remedy this issue with additional lenses not shown on the current roadmap...

In terms of DSLRs, however, I'd have to agree that they have a promising future.

Mo, I would agree also, Pentax has chance to gain a big marker share, but they need the lenses and a few accessories to make it a go.

Top pros NEED top equipment, it must function well, and have the other goodies they need, good high quality lenses in ranges that fashion and studio guys use. On sports stuff Canon has it covered and I don't know if it is worth it for Pentax to go after that crowd. But they do need up to 600mm for a lens line to be "complete"

I for one wish they brought back a T & S lens in a wide angle for landscape and product stuff.

On another note, their cameras MUST be able to be tethered, you must be able to see your images right now on computer. The new lenses coming up will find their way in my camera bag soon as available. I own there 31mm, 43mm, and 77mm Limiteds along with all there new wide angle lenses. I would like a fast 135 prime though, although I have a F series 135mm f2.8 and a K smc 135mm f2.5 manual lens (but manual lenses are a little slower to use-pushing the green button)

wll

02-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
If you don't mind, I would like to send this letter off to Pentax...Very well thought out hypothesis.
Hi Ben,

I already chat to Pentax UK from time to time with whom I have a quite friendly relationship following a meeting with them at Photokina, so they know my views...and no I didnt get this info from them...the news on the 645 came from Pentax Switzerland and the rest is pure speculation on my part based on snippets from other sources and common sense.
About the only thing I am sure about is that the D40 is currently seen as the real competition for entry level hearts and minds and the sub $500 SLR in the US is a key new market, and a higher level body is already feasible since this is what the K10D was originally planned to be until the Alpha and D80 were announced.
I'm also very intreagued as to what new sensors (and from which vendors) are in the pipeline that could seriously raise the bar on APSC performance.
But you can send it by all means - tell them they can have me on a retainer any time....
02-02-2007, 09:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

the suggestion (fact) that the k10 was originally intended to be a more "advanced" level camera than it ended up as makes sense..

i see the k100 as the odd one out in the current line up.. it and the k10 sit too close together..

the k110 compares well to the d40.. the k100 sits in no-mans land so to speak.. or two lands at once.. loaded with entry level features but still good enough for the expert..

the k10.. the k10 sits in two lands at once.. but not doing a good enough job in either land.. to me the k100 and k10 need merging into one and a better high level more expensive camera bringing into being as well..

the k110 being perfect as it is.. with price on its side its good enough to compete with the d40.. all the k100 competes with is the k10.. not good for pentax.. and not a tidy line up..

trog
02-02-2007, 01:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
the suggestion (fact) that the k10 was originally intended to be a more "advanced" level camera than it ended up as makes sense..

i see the k100 as the odd one out in the current line up.. it and the k10 sit too close together..

the k110 compares well to the d40.. the k100 sits in no-mans land so to speak.. or two lands at once.. loaded with entry level features but still good enough for the expert..

the k10.. the k10 sits in two lands at once.. but not doing a good enough job in either land.. to me the k100 and k10 need merging into one and a better high level more expensive camera bringing into being as well..

the k110 being perfect as it is.. with price on its side its good enough to compete with the d40.. all the k100 competes with is the k10.. not good for pentax.. and not a tidy line up..

trog
I see your point, but in fact the K110 hasnt sold despite the price and the only difference between the K110 and K100 is SR. Given the same chassis, the manufacturing cost differential is small. Whats more Pentax need something "extra" to attract attention from the D40 and the the SR is that "extra".
Of course I may be wrong but Pentax are coming from behind and wont sell any cameras if they are "me too".

02-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #23
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I see your point, but in fact the K110 hasnt sold despite the price and the only difference between the K110 and K100 is SR. Given the same chassis, the manufacturing cost differential is small. Whats more Pentax need something "extra" to attract attention from the D40 and the the SR is that "extra".
Of course I may be wrong but Pentax are coming from behind and wont sell any cameras if they are "me too".
Very true *isteve, they can't be a me too, they need to set the pace and take the lead. You can't become a top contender by following.

wll
02-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

i live in the UK.. i think the almost double the price factor compared to the US market might make things seem different to me.. i really dont know what sells what over here.. i think the US market is where the predicted dslr boom will happen thow..

in the UK the price if any dslr is just to high to appeal to the masses.. the masses is where the money is.. any prestige at the top just helps sell the lesser stuff to the masses..

untill pentax ceases to be something u have to seek out and becomes something thats thrust at u nothing much will change.. then if it does the magic means of production has to be found..

i think i would sooner see pentax remain a viable niche product than become one of the big boys..

i see a few dreams here more than i see reality.. u dont grow like topsy overnight.. what was the old saying.. "the impossible we do straight away miracles take a little longer".. he he

trog
02-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Interestingly, the K110 seems to not be offered for sale to the domestic market in Japan.
02-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member

i had read that it had been removed from sale in the US market as well.. to me the k110 at the right pirce would have been the real newbie catcher.. i really do think pentax have major production problems.. not much point in capturing the hearts and minds of the masses if u cant meet the possible demand..

trog
02-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #27
Inactive Account

can you be more specific on what lens your miss ?
02-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #28
Inactive Account

personaly what i would like is something like this :
Canon TS-E90mm f/2.8 Lens Sample Photos and Specifications

With horizontal and vertical correction. I think there is no; and never had, a lens like this from Pentax. Maybe its not the kind of lens that sells a lot but to be taken seriously Pentax got to have a very large lens offering, even for specific needs.

don't you ?
02-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Point blank:
Fast 2.8 zooms, fast and ultra fast primes standard+ telephotos F1.8-2.8 and a secondary range of telephotos that are like F4 and reasonable in price.
Also they NEED a macro flash, AF teleconverters, and AF ex-tubes
02-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #30

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Also they NEED a macro flash, AF teleconverters, and AF ex-tubes
Yes for sure! I want to try my hand at macro photography.