Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 151
Pentax K-3 Main LCD Fogging

I just bought used K-3 with under 2K clicks. The camera looks as new and works great. I love the camera, but I noticed a minor issue. When main LCD is off, there is a weird fogging under the glass that covers the LCD. This does not affect the LCD when it is on. I am wondering if anyone else has the same issue?


Last edited by ddjchemist; 12-28-2014 at 06:41 PM.
12-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,393
That does not sound right.
does it have a protector?
Can you post pictures?
12-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 151
Original Poster
Let me try to snap a picture using my smartphone. I am visiting my family and have only K-3 on me.
12-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 151
Original Poster
No luck. It is not showing on my phone pictures. It is only visible under an angle, not when looking perpendicularly.

12-30-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 482
QuoteOriginally posted by ddjchemist Quote
No luck. It is not showing on my phone pictures. It is only visible under an angle, not when looking perpendicularly.
I have noticed something apparently similar on my one year old K-3's back LCD, but am not sure if it's what you're experiencing.

Do try to post a photo if possible; meanwhile, 2 questions:

A. Is the fogging uniform all over, or more concentrated in the centre area of the LCD?

B. Does the "fogging" look very smooth, or splotchy/granular?
12-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 151
Original Poster
Hi KDAFA,

I am finally back home, so I will try to post some pictures later today. Below are the answers to your questions:

A. Fogging is not uniform and is concentrated more toward the middle. In fact, the edges are perfectly clean.
B. Fogging looks granular. It almost looks like very small air bubbles trapped between the glass cover and the actual LCD.

Cheers,
Dan
12-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Senior Member
screwdriver222's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Plymouth
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 134
Its probably a screen protector that the previous owner had on. Try using your finger nail to peel it off.

Jeff
12-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 151
Original Poster
Hi Jeff,

I wish you were correct, but that is not the case. I tried not only my finger nails to peel off any potential screen protector, but also a needle.

Cheers,
Dan

12-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 151
Original Poster
This is the best I could do. Upon a careful examination of the picture, one can see the problem (upper left corner).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
12-30-2014, 11:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member
drypenn's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 948
I think that it's the "gapless" LCD, now growing some gap or separation. I don't think that it is actually condensation.
12-31-2014, 04:49 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 151
Original Poster
Drypenn, I think you are correct. I called Pentax and described the problem to a tech support. They immediately said it is a separation between the LCD and glass cover. I just sold my 1 months old K-5IIs in order to be able to keep K-3. Now I regret doing it.
01-01-2015, 02:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 482
QuoteOriginally posted by ddjchemist Quote
Drypenn, I think you are correct. I called Pentax and described the problem to a tech support. They immediately said it is a separation between the LCD and glass cover. I just sold my 1 months old K-5IIs in order to be able to keep K-3. Now I regret doing it.
Hi all,

I'm no expert but I have to say I'm somewhat confused here.... I thought glass covers were for older models eg K-7 and K-5?

Whereas for "gapless" models eg. K-5II/s and K-3, the LCD is in direct contact with the outside world, with no glass cover, thus doing away with any possible gap?

Anyhow, if we now speak of "separation", this raises some pertinent questions:

a. Does this separation happen inevitably to all gapless LCDs, or statistically only a certain percentage will get the problem, and why?

b. Is this being seen a lot on K-3?

c. Has anyone else seen this on K-5II/s? These two models use gapless LCDs too.

I think my K-3 (purchased brand new) may be having the same issue as described by the OP. It does not (yet!) present any problem in viewing the LCD, but is nonetheless a real disappointment for a flagship camera.

---------- Post added 01-01-15 at 06:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
Hi all,

I'm no expert but I have to say I'm somewhat confused here.... I thought glass covers were for older models eg K-7 and K-5?

Whereas for "gapless" models eg. K-5II/s and K-3, the LCD is in direct contact with the outside world, with no glass cover, thus doing away with any possible gap?

Anyhow, if we now speak of "separation", this raises some pertinent questions:

a. Does this separation happen inevitably to all gapless LCDs, or statistically only a certain percentage will get the problem, and why?

b. Is this being seen a lot on K-3?

c. Has anyone else seen this on K-5II/s? These two models use gapless LCDs too.

I think my K-3 (purchased brand new) may be having the same issue as described by the OP. It does not (yet!) present any problem in viewing the LCD, but is nonetheless a real disappointment for a flagship camera.
Just checked Ricoh Imaging website. Apparently K-3's LCD has "air-gapless glass".
01-01-2015, 03:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member
drypenn's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 948
I'm not really sure what the primary cause of this kind of separation but i suspect that it's either QC related or a supplier problem. I have been a victim of this phenomenon thrice, not with cameras, but with mobile phones. Two Sony phones and the other one is a Samsung.

Eerily similar, from the edges, the separation grows over time. I don't know who is Pentax's supplier of LCD, but I don't think that this is an uncommon problem. It should be covered by warranty. The only consolation is I don't think it will really affect the LCD's performance in the long run, but it's a nuisance knowing there's separation when there should be none.

Another wild guess: a shock or an impact (a drop perhaps) may probably induce separation. This was actually the theory of Sony's service center when I presented the phone for warranty claim. It sounds plausible.

Last edited by drypenn; 01-01-2015 at 07:04 AM.
01-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 151
Original Poster
I hope this LCD problem only affects a small percentage of the units. It is hard to tell if it is a "chronic" problem with K-3 and Pentax "gapless" LCD technology since this technology is relatively new and no one can predict if the problem would eventually surface after camera is 2-3 years old. However, if the problem ends up affecting a significant number of units in the future, than Pentax will have to fix those cameras at no charge even if warranty expired. We could use this forum to force them to fix the issue. What makes me mad that Pentax made such a wonderful camera that produces images that are at the level of top full frame cameras, and then they screw up minor details.

---------- Post added 01-01-2015 at 12:07 PM ----------

By the way, in my opinion the separation could be caused by cold temperature.
01-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 482
QuoteOriginally posted by ddjchemist Quote
I hope this LCD problem only affects a small percentage of the units. It is hard to tell if it is a "chronic" problem with K-3 and Pentax "gapless" LCD technology since this technology is relatively new and no one can predict if the problem would eventually surface after camera is 2-3 years old. However, if the problem ends up affecting a significant number of units in the future, than Pentax will have to fix those cameras at no charge even if warranty expired. We could use this forum to force them to fix the issue. What makes me mad that Pentax made such a wonderful camera that produces images that are at the level of top full frame cameras, and then they screw up minor details.

---------- Post added 01-01-2015 at 12:07 PM ----------

By the way, in my opinion the separation could be caused by cold temperature.
Thinking about it, there may in fact be little correlation with the K-5II/s, even though it also uses gapless technology, since it uses a totally different LCD than K-3.

On the other hand, as I recall Nikon have also started using gapless. Wonder if they're seeing the same separation problem...

Actually, when I first saw it on my K-3, my theory was that perhaps the AR coating was beginning to "flake off" from the surface of the display. Indeed it looked granular, as though some parts of the coating had come off, with other parts of the coating remaining intact.

And since it was happening pretty much only at the middle area of the display, I thought that this might be caused by my action of cleaning it (ie. rubbing with my shirt fabric).

Personally I'm the sort of user who wants the display free from smudges, so I do clean it as described, fairly frequently I would suppose.

And typically, I guess the middle part of the screen gets the most force/friction/contact, hence it becomes the first area for the AR coating to be worn off, with the edges of the screen less likely.

Comments?

EDIT: I've never banged nor dropped my K-3, neither subjected it to low temperatures.

Last edited by KDAFA; 01-01-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bet, camera, cameras, cover, dslr, flex, glass, issue, k-3, k-3 main lcd, k-5ii/s, lcd, lcds, lot, models, pentax, pentax k-3, photography, screen, separation, technology, units
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with K-3 LCD display nukeglus Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 13 11-06-2014 04:09 PM
Cleaning K-3 rear LCD screen Burr Baughman Visitors' Center 6 08-10-2014 05:03 AM
Pentax WG-3 GPS LCD loupe mcfaddenjosh Pentax Compact Cameras 5 03-19-2014 03:53 PM
K-3 LCD screen adjustments StarDust Pentax K-3 5 01-20-2014 10:11 PM
K5 and K-01 LCD size? (3" but...) Caver Pentax K-01 2 01-11-2014 08:09 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top