Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Forum Member

Jump ship to Canon/Nikon?

Hi all,

I will begin by saying that I've had nothing but great experiences with my Pentax K-x, but I am now at a point where I am looking to upgrade and I am considering video as a more important feature – as we now have a dog and probably will have kids on the way soon too. The camera will be used to travel/camping/hiking, general pet/kid/family photography/video. Furthermore I am also looking at getting into panoramas much more heavily as I really like shooting them, and hopefully make a bit of money from selling canvases at the same time.

Must have:
  1. Must NOT be heavy! I really like the size and weight of my K-x, happy to go a bit bigger and a little heavier but not too much
  2. Cost effective/value – I am looking at spending up to $1200 – $1500 for the DSLR, one travel lens (18-135 WR in case of Pentax or 18-300), one 35mm prime for landscapes, cheap bag, filters etc. Will be bought from B&H Photo probably.

Very good to have:
  1. HDMI port!
  2. Weather sealing
  3. Video ability
  4. Swing out screen for low angle shots/video
  5. In-body IS – as I have a bunch of MF lenses (like the Helios 44-2) which I am hoping to use more

Good to have:
  1. AA batteries for travel
  2. Accessories/lenses available in OS stores when travelling.. I found that no one stocked the Sigma 18-300 HSM OS in Pentax mount while in Canada, which was very frustrating (I desperately wanted a travel lens as I was sick of constantly changing lenses).
  3. Software for remote controlling for Astro photos (BackyardEOS) – Canon comes out in front here

How does Pentax value currently compare with Canon or Nikon in the APS-C range of mid range DSLRs?

12-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hmmm, my brother went with a Canon 700D , don't know about AA ( if it has a grip ? )
12-29-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went a different way for improved video with AF, one that let me keep my fine Pentax primes: Samsung mirrorless. Their 20Mpx sensor is competitive with Sony's and I found an NX300 body for under $300. Added their 20-50 mini kit lens, 30mm f/2 pancake and 50-200 OIS zooms and a K-adapter and I'm set for under $800. The NX300 has on-sensor PDAF and continuous AF in video. Results are not earth-shattering but plenty good enough, and I get to keep using my smaller K-primes (17, 55, 85, 135). I still have Pentax for my WR needs (plentiful in western WA), but one could go with their new NX1 and lenses for seals also. Definitely beats your price-point, plus I now have Lightroom (v4 but it beats PS Elements).

Personally I feel that Canikon has enough funds coming in and I had bad experiences with Sony's random lineup a few years back. Samsung's sensors are doing much better than the K-7 days; that camera was great but couldn't manage higher ISOs as well as others at the time.
12-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like your needs would be best met by a mirrorless system that offers good video performance or even what was known as a bridge camera.
Since the quality of lenses you are considering are nothing special and your budget is fairly lean, I'm curious what a DSLR would get you that matters much?

M

12-29-2014, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwolfie Quote
Swing out screen for low angle shots/video In-body IS – as I have a bunch of MF lenses (like the Helios 44-2) which I am hoping to use more
Those two are pretty much mutually exclusive. But if video and the articulating are a priority over stills, check out the Canon 70D. Otherwise, I'd recommend the Pentax K-3, as it's a huge upgrade over the K-x and has always been a great value plus it's one of the best APS-C DSLRs currently on the market.

pentax k-3 | B&H Photo Video

The K-3 + 18-135mm + 35mm will easily fit within your budget, brand new from B&H.

See also:
Review: Pentax K-3 - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-29-2014, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

As you know, you have to go outside of Canon/Nikon if you want in-body IS. So you should probably decide how high of a priority that is. I'm playing with a Nikon 1 (S1) right now that came with a lens that lacks VR. It was terribly frustrating simply taking late-afternoon test shots in the garden - ISO can only go so high, and 1/15s or 1/20s was giving me blurry shots every time. It's not like I had any choice either - the aperture couldn't go wide enough. I'd come to take Pentax' SR for granted, starting back with my K-x and lenses like the FA43 (I got a K-x the week it was released).

Since your video isn't professional, but your stills are, you should probably separate your cameras. For video you should get ... wait for it ... a video camera! Or get a premium compact along the lines of an LX7, Olympus XZ-1 or 2, Pentax MX-1, or Canon S110 (very affordable right now). Or it could be a small ILC like the Q. You could carry it in your pocket and capture all those family photos and video, plus the occasional nature shot when hiking.

I think Pentax may still do well for your professional work. But if going outside of Pentax, Sony (new in-body IS on A7 II) and Fuji (some excellent lenses I'd love to have, including a few from Zeiss that fit it) are the first ones that come to mind. Canon or Nikon could still be fine, but you're not shooting sports or something.

Last edited by DSims; 12-29-2014 at 05:22 PM.
12-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Post No. 5 above, by Adams ... it says it all.
12-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter

You don't have to jump ship. Just buy a Canon camera and keep your Pentax stuff. Canon 3Ti or Canon 7D Mark I might be a good choice. There nothing wrong with having more than one brand in your closet...

12-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
Kiwi Pentaxian

Having read what you have shared about your needs I think probably mirrorless or bridge would be the answer. Mirrorless, on of the Panasonic's (GH4 if you can afford it) - they are rated highly for video, bridge - Sony RX10 (
)

All the best with your decisions

Ross
12-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Post No. 5 above, by Adams ... it says it all.
I agree as well. I think you can have the best of both worlds by upgrading to the K3 and you can get a very good HD camcorder for not much expense these days. About 2 years ago I bought a Sony Handycam for video. It is not much bigger than the 18-55 kit lens so it fits in my camera bag very easily. This could give you everything on your wish list. Personally I like the articulating touch screen on the camcorder but prefer a solid glass screen on the K3. Touch screens get very messy in use and I don't like cleaning them all the time, especially when pixel peeping macro shots.
12-29-2014, 06:04 PM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm with Adam. K-3 with 18-135mm zoom is the way to go. Pro quality in a light weight package that fits your budget.
12-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwolfie Quote
Hi all,

I will begin by saying that I've had nothing but great experiences with my Pentax K-x, but I am now at a point where I am looking to upgrade and I am considering video as a more important feature – as we now have a dog and probably will have kids on the way soon too. The camera will be used to travel/camping/hiking, general pet/kid/family photography/video. Furthermore I am also looking at getting into panoramas much more heavily as I really like shooting them, and hopefully make a bit of money from selling canvases at the same time.

Must have:
  1. Must NOT be heavy! I really like the size and weight of my K-x, happy to go a bit bigger and a little heavier but not too much
  2. Cost effective/value – I am looking at spending up to $1200 – $1500 for the DSLR, one travel lens (18-135 WR in case of Pentax or 18-300), one 35mm prime for landscapes, cheap bag, filters etc. Will be bought from B&H Photo probably.

Very good to have:
  1. HDMI port!
  2. Weather sealing
  3. Video ability
  4. Swing out screen for low angle shots/video
  5. In-body IS – as I have a bunch of MF lenses (like the Helios 44-2) which I am hoping to use more

Good to have:
  1. AA batteries for travel
  2. Accessories/lenses available in OS stores when travelling.. I found that no one stocked the Sigma 18-300 HSM OS in Pentax mount while in Canada, which was very frustrating (I desperately wanted a travel lens as I was sick of constantly changing lenses).
  3. Software for remote controlling for Astro photos (BackyardEOS) – Canon comes out in front here

How does Pentax value currently compare with Canon or Nikon in the APS-C range of mid range DSLRs?
Adam said it well.
12-29-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter

My suggestions Sony A6000 or Sony A7ii You can still keep you KX and adapt any of your lenses to the sony. If you want to stick with DSLR K3 is best choice.
12-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
My suggestions Sony A6000 or Sony A7ii You can still keep you KX and adapt any of your lenses to the sony. If you want to stick with DSLR K3 is best choice.
http://youtu.be/llmciAKNq9c
Silver-Surfer,

I second your recommendations. I may add a Sony a6000 to my Pentax DSLR lineup for its better video capability and also something compact to carry around when I do not want to carry my K3 and bag full of Pentax lenses. If I went to the A7 line, I am pretty much jumping ship and letting Pentax go altogether.

This mirrorless world is strange to me but everything I am reading says it is the future. As much as I dislike EVFs, I could lean to live with them if I have to.

The next FF Pentax might very well be a derivative of the Sony A7 line. That would be the day. In that case, we would not need to go anywhere and stay with Pentax for a long time to come.
12-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Silver-Surfer,

I second your recommendations. I may add a Sony a6000 to my Pentax DSLR lineup for its better video capability and also something compact to carry around when I do not want to carry my K3 and bag full of Pentax lenses. If I went to the A7 line, I am pretty much jumping ship and letting Pentax go altogether.

This mirrorless world is strange to me but everything I am reading says it is the future. As much as I dislike EVFs, I could lean to live with them if I have to.

The next FF Pentax might very well be a derivative of the Sony A7 line. That would be the day. In that case, we would not need to go anywhere and stay with Pentax for a long time to come.
I think Pentax/Ricoh would be foolish to not look hard at the A7. I would love to see a derivative of the A7 with an LEA4 style adapter for Kaf but I would do without the Phase detecting glass doohickey. I think a straightforward body to adapter to K screw drive adapter would be very nice.
The A6000 has little or no apparent lag in its evf which is very attractive indeed