Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Air venting from viewfinder K3

I get a lot of air coming out of my viewfinder when zooming out on my K3. I had the same 18-135 lens on my K5 and never noticed this. I figure the air must vent somewhere but i cant say I like the idea of the air being pulled in and out of the pentaprism area. Sound like dirty trouble down the road.

12-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter

It has been reported several times and people say that you should not worry about it.
12-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's a weather sealed camera and lens combination so the air inside the lens when extended has to go someplace. Coming out the viewfinder, when all seals are intact, is probably the best place possible all things considered. Try opening one of the rubber covers (like on the mic or other concealed connector) and see if the airflow stops. If so, its the weather sealing doing its job.
12-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

My K5/18-135 does the same thing except the air moves on the side where the USB port is. I'm not sure if other users with the same body/lens combo noticed it by you can actually feel the zoom ring resistance change depending on if the rubber cover is on or off.

12-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ya if i pull open the USB flapper the air goes in and out there instead. The lens also moves easier too. I just think going out the viewfinder may lead to more dust in the visibility area.
12-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
Ya if i pull open the USB flapper the air goes in and out there instead. The lens also moves easier too. I just think going out the viewfinder may lead to more dust in the visibility area.
Could be, but its a factor of the WR nature of your setup. You could leave the port open if it bothers you thereby minimizing the dust in the viewfinder.
12-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

on mine, it comes out the side of the lens close to the mount. there may be a dust filter at that point, if it is stopped up it will pressurize the camera and can damage the seal integrity. If dust can get in, water can get in. This is the reason I think it is a bad design and I do not like this type of WR lens. The zoom and focus both should be internal. Only the focus and zooming controls should be external.