Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2014, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Extended Warranty - 2 Month Purchase Window

I just happened to read the actual Pentax Extended Warranty verbiage itself and the time frame to purchase it is now within 2 months of the original body purchase.
QuoteQuote:
Extended Warranty

The extended warranty set forth below is provided by Ricoh Imaging Corporation ("Ricoh") for products originally distributed in the United States by Ricoh Imaging Corporation, 633 17th Street, Suite 2600, Denver, Colorado 80202, excluding PENTAX Sport Optics products ("Products") and must be purchased within two (2) months of original purchase. This extended warranty is not available for Ricoh’s 645z camera unless purchased and included as part of the Ricoh Pentax Advantage program. Ricoh warrants that the Product, when delivered to you in new conditions in its original packaging, will be free from defects in original factory materials and workmanship under normal use and service for a period of three (3) year from the date of original purchase. If such Product is returned to Ricoh and proven to be defective upon inspection, Ricoh will in its sole discretion and at no charge will (a) repair the Product utilizing new, remanufactured, repaired and/or recycled parts; (b) exchanged for a new Product or; (c) exchanged for a refurbished Product, as determined by the Ricoh. Warranty exchange or replacement does not extend the original warranty period of the Product.

12-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Absolutely the best Pentax bargain that exists IMHO. Good info.
12-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Thanks for locating this. I just ordered one! I had otherwise given up since the camera (a gift) was purchased more than a month ago.
12-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I just happened to read the actual Pentax Extended Warranty verbiage itself and the time frame to purchase it is now within 2 months of the original body purchase.

Great! This must have been a very recent change, I'm sure users will appreciate it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Not only that but it appears that Canadian buyers automatically get a two-year extended limited warranty:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/239239-k-3-k-5-ii-k...ml#post3096605
12-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Not only that but it appears that Canadian buyers automatically get a two-year extended limited warranty:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/239239-k-3-k-5-ii-k...ml#post3096605
I think they get a 2 year warranty standard - we only get 1 standard.
12-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #7

Talk about a timely reminder, today was the last day within the two month window for me. Thanks!
12-30-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atcoombs Quote
Talk about a timely reminder, today was the last day within the two month window for me. Thanks!
Good for you. Best $19 for a Pentax item you're likely to spend.

01-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #9
Ole
Administrator

Warning - cited warranty terms are wrong

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote

The conditions you found DO NOT MATCH the actual text on the Extended Warranty card .

I just (December 30) bought an extended warranty thinking that I had a two months window per the above.

But according to the text on the card, the warranty must be "received at the same time as the purchase" of a new camera.

We will investigate what that clause exactly means (RICOH customer support has not been helpful but points to B&H for the terms ), but at this point I advise against buying the warranty post festum.
01-05-2015, 05:51 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The conditions you found DO NOT MATCH the actual text on the Extended Warranty card .

I just (December 30) bought an extended warranty thinking that I had a two months window per the above.

But according to the text on the card, the warranty must be "received at the same time as the purchase" of a new camera.

We will investigate what that clause exactly means (RICOH customer support has not been helpful but points to B&H for the terms ), but at this point I advise against buying the warranty post festum.
Hi Ole,

Well that is not good news at all. How can anyone make an intelligent decision to purchase if the terms are not disclosed to you prior to the transaction? Pentax needs to have the most current information available on their website - which would be a significant repair. Legally, what takes precedence - the offer (the website) or the actual warranty that you do not get to read until after you purchase?

Additionally, other than B&H along with Androma, I have not run into any other retailers that really offer the extended warranty. So, is Pentax artificially limiting the retailers that can essentially sell bodies? Is there a difference between an authorized retailer and one that offers the extended warranty for purchase? - Probably not the intent, but that is how it can be construed. It would just be easier for Pentax to automatically include the extended warranty in the camera box.

In the past I have purchased bodies from authorized retailers, but then had to go to B&H for the warranty - of which they were out of stock on, thereby having to wait several weeks for them to become back in stock.

This is confusing to say the least....

.... all I want to do is to take some pictures!