Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2014, 05:43 AM   #1

Those 'macro only' M42 adapters

I have a couple of nice Jupiter M42 connection lenses (an 85mm f/2.0 and 135mm f/3.5), which I used on my Canon DSLR before upgrading to a K-3.

I much prefer to keep adapters on a lens, so didn't like the look of the infinity-focus adapters that need a special tool to remove them from the camera's K mount. For that reason, I decided to try one of the flanged 'macro only' adapters, via eBay. I only use the Jupiters as portrait lenses, so my hope was that while they wouldn't focus to infinity, they would focus far enough to be of use for that.

As it happens, the 85mm will focus perfectly at up to 5 metres away wide open, and the 135mm at about 8 metres away wide open. Easily good enough for portrait purposes As an added bonus, the 135mm depth of field will include infinity at maximum focus distance when stopped down to f/8 or smaller. I've ordered a second of these adapters, so I can keep one on each lens.

12-31-2014, 05:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's my experience and opinion too. do you use a plated one or a black one?
12-31-2014, 06:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, good fortune!
Btw I think some m42 lenses have been filed down and modified by previous users, so they focus to infinity on those slightly thicker adapters
12-31-2014, 06:24 AM   #4

Original Poster
A black one ( via this listing: Macro M42 screw mount lens to Pentax K mount adapter K10D K200D K-7 K-r black | eBay )

There's no sign that the lenses have been modified.

12-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
(Just to check) Are you are aware that the official Pentax M42 adapter uses no special tool and (not being flanged) it focuses to infinity?

If you remove the spring from the adapter it stays on the lens, or if you leave it on--the adapter comes out of the camera using your fingernail.
01-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NeilGratton Quote
I much prefer to keep adapters on a lens, so didn't like the look of the infinity-focus adapters that need a special tool to remove them from the camera's K mount.
With the third-party infinity-focus adapters, just remove the spring clip. I have done this with mine. Like you, I like to keep the adapter on the lens, so I got one for each M42 lens that I use on my dslr. Once you remove the clip, no tool is needed. Just give the lens a twist. Mine don't even come unscrewed from the adapter. The lens and adapter come out of the camera as a unit.

Without the spring clip, the adapter will not lock onto the body, but I have found that friction is more than enough to keep it on the camera. After all, the M42 lenses never had any kind of locking device, and were not known for falling off the camera.