Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

What I would like Pentax to do...

OK my idea is this... Pentax could come out with a modular system like used to be done on pro level bodies (a la Canon F1N).

For example the base camera body like the K3

Options as follows:
EVF mirrorless for the videographers
APS C Sensor for the high speed shooter
FF Sensor for those wanting it...
Upgradeable buffer/processor module for those needing higher speed
Grip... same thing as current grip

The body could stay the same for a few generations.

New features could be released independantly...
Every 8 months a new module is released rotating between EVF, FF, APS
Every 18 months a new processor/buffer module.

You could also buy a kit like the current kits that are offered today... (New Body, new processor, new veiwfinder already put together at a discount)

If you messed up your sensor somehow you already would have a body/processor and just need the sensor.

These older parts could then be resold to us poor forum members and we could upgrade as wanted.

My solution it seems would make everyone happy. (except Ricoh???)

For example... The guy that shoots really high quality like in a studio could get FF and wouldn't worry about the processor upgrade for a while... The guy that shoots sports could stay with a 16mp APS C but upgrade the processor and be able to shoot more/faster without clogging his buffer. The videographer could get the EVF version and still be happy.

Why aren't things done like this?

Last edited by soycory; 12-31-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling
12-31-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soycory Quote

Why aren't things done like this?
Electronics get outdated quickly.... and few people wants to keep old components.
12-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The EVF is a splendid idea. I understand that some people dislike them, but, IMHO, the possibility of seeing the image before pressing the shutter, makes everything so much easier...
12-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Assuming there was enough demand for something so configurable, your options list would still create a
camera with too many compromises. Body needs to be large enough to accommodate the FF sensor,
may be off-putting to someone who only wants APS-C. Likewise, someone wanting mirrorless would not
want the large body necessary to accommodate a mirrorbox.

I'm with you in concept: I hate the idea of built-in obsolescence. But I think your scope is too broad.
Simply being able upgrade a K10D, for example, to the spec of a K-3 would be awesome. A modular
system could, theoretically, achieve that goal but even then there'd be serious limitations, (LCD screen,
for one).

12-31-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now, if I could just get a digital back for my Ricoh XR-P, that would be something.
12-31-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Better buffer (reading & writing files) is one thing I know alot of people would like, even if they don't shoot the full FPS the camera offers.
For the FF, I'm sure it's going to come (eventually).
As for it being modular (like most film cameras in the 70's/80's) it's a good idea, but may be costly to do so because of the extra electronics & the way DSLR's are built nowadays.
01-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

That would create a ton of issues for the engineers trying to maintain compatibility.

This works in the video world (and there are cameras (out now or announced) that are so flexible... Pick sensor, pick processor, add screen, storage etc.), but for stills we want something more compact. It's a different kind of shooting.