Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2008, 10:08 PM   #1

Sick *ist DS. what to do

Greeting everyone. I've got a Pentax *ist DS that, honestly, has seen better days.

She's fine for most shots, but the e-dial's not working properly, so i can't set anything that requires that. she doesn't seem to like some cards and she like others (she hates a Buffalo 2Gb and a Sandisk Extreme III 8GB, but my 2 Ultra II 2gbs and a 16GB Transcend works perfectly fine). Occasional, she freezes, especially if she uses a shutter speed above 1/1000

and yesterday, the little protrusion that connects to the AF screw inside the lens wouldn't meet up. I though this is because of my well abused 18-200 lens, but it has problems matching my brand new Tammy 17-50. spend a fair bit of yesterday either remounting my lenses to see if i could get it working again (it was an intermittant fault), and/or shooting in manual focus (which isn't necessarily a bad thing.. got some MF practice )

(yes, my camera is a "she", cause i love her very much )

coupled with dropping prices on the K200D and K20D (and like my baby, all are more camera than my skillset can use) and that my baby's 3 years old, i dunno what to do

So, should i send her in to be repaired? are there any fixes for these problems that can be done without sending her to be repaired? or should i look at getting one of the current crop?

The other thing is that i'm looking towards the K200D. Partially because i know my skillset is crap, and that having a K20D will not improve my pictures. partially because it's a lot cheaper (Body only is AU689 vs AU1249). And partially because i like having a camera with AA batteries. i know what i'm like with recharging batteries (i forget to, all the time), and i've been in situations where i've used Alkaline batteries in a pinch, but that was better than not being able to shoot at all

What would you do?

05-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or you could look for a K100D super here in the marketplace, or on eBay, you get a camera similar to yours, with built in shake reduction, and SDM lens capabilities. You might even be able to find a new one if you look hard enough..
05-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Or you could look for a K100D super here in the marketplace, or on eBay, you get a camera similar to yours, with built in shake reduction, and SDM lens capabilities. You might even be able to find a new one if you look hard enough..
secondhand may be an option, but a new K100D Super is 599 body only. 90 dollars cheaper than the K200D

there's an *ist DS + sigma 18-125 going round one of my local forums for 450 (*waves to SupremeMoFo*), but i do have that lens too. hmmm
05-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

check the marketplace here, there is an ist ds for sale too, for $225 canadian i belive, body only though

05-26-2008, 04:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don't use older lenses and TTL flash I would trade up to something newer.

Those two reasons would be the only justification to put a lot of $$ into repair of the DS.

Edit note
just as an aside, there is a DS in the market place for $225.

I think that puts a limit on what you should consider spending on service

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 05-26-2008 at 07:33 AM.
05-26-2008, 07:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
hmm.. CA$225 -> ~AU$240. I'll keep that in mind. I might spend sat talking to some of the camera shops in the city.

Yeah, all my lenses, except my FA50 F1.4, are APS-C optimised ones. I've only had manual flashes (no TTL, just sync), and an AF540.

I was contemplating getting some old primes and manual focus zoom lenses (LBA: it's a curse), would using them be any issue on the K200D? they wouldn't be used much as my FA50, 17-50 F2.8 and 18-200 do the bulk of the work on my mount. I don't think i'll be getting any flash that uses TTL. Really, until i can work my 540 better, i don't think i'll be getting another flash (even if i've got bad FBA)

Also, what's the difference between P-TTL and TTL proper?
05-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
hmm.. CA$225 -> ~AU$240. I'll keep that in mind. I might spend sat talking to some of the camera shops in the city.

Yeah, all my lenses, except my FA50 F1.4, are APS-C optimised ones. I've only had manual flashes (no TTL, just sync), and an AF540.

I was contemplating getting some old primes and manual focus zoom lenses (LBA: it's a curse), would using them be any issue on the K200D? they wouldn't be used much as my FA50, 17-50 F2.8 and 18-200 do the bulk of the work on my mount. I don't think i'll be getting any flash that uses TTL. Really, until i can work my 540 better, i don't think i'll be getting another flash (even if i've got bad FBA)

Also, what's the difference between P-TTL and TTL proper?
I can't speak of the K200D but I have found there is some exposure inconsistency with the K10D and older lenses, which I have tracked down to the focusing screen.

As far as older lenses and flash, you have to use either an *istD or DS to get TTL. Your AF540Does support TTL, and it also does "Auto" mode with it's own sensor, so you could use that with newer bodies as well.

I have 8 MF K mount lenses, and 6 Autofocus ones. The MF lenses are usually, but not always used on my *istD

05-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the camera turned off spray a little squirt of tuner cleaner on top and bottom side of E dial. Spin the dial a few min with camera off. Should work as good as new.
Don't use cards the camera doesn't like. You have plenty that do work. Why push it?
Don't know how to fix the other problem. The freezing might have something to do with batteries. Try some Eneloops or Lithiums. Clean the contacts on batt compartment and lens mount.
Sent a DS in once and it cost $175. Had a bad circuit or sensor. Everything was shot in a cool "bargraph" look. If it had been my camera probably would have kept it that way.
My DS had cranky E dial. Contact cleaner spray fixed that ( use just a little). The built in flash died. Don't care about that (have plenty of ttl flashes + 540 P-ttl). The rubber body covering is stretching and coming unglued. Kind of glued it back. She is still taking pics.
thanks
barondla

Enter POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7 in the P&S forum. Any camera type except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
05-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ditto on the edial....mine was 'sticky'... a couple of gentle/small squirts of Inox and no more trouble.
05-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #10

Original Poster
inox? tuner cleaner?

would isopropyl Alcohol work just as well? i got bottles full of those
05-27-2008, 07:07 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alcohol is a cleaner but not as good as the stuff in the tuner cleaner. The tuner cleaner is designed to clean electrical contacts. Most also has a lubricant in it that helps things that move - like the e dial. A can is only about $10-12 bucks. Worth it to fix the DS.
thanks
barondla

Enter POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7 in P&S forum. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
05-27-2008, 07:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I thought the *istDS didn't accept SDHC card. If that is the case, it might explain why you are having some problem with some cards. The upper limit on SD cards is 2G. Any SD cards posting 4G (there are some) are not endorsed by the SD developpers.
05-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
think flyers right i have the 1ds and it only uses up to 2gb,not noticed any up to date downloads from pentax
05-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #14

Original Poster
Firmware v2.01 adds SDHC support. Firmware V2.02 increases support

doesn't make sense when the 8Gb extreme III (which i bought for the camera) has issues, but a normal speed 16Gb Transcend (which i bought for my eeePC) is fine.
05-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi nakey,
Inox is similar to CRC or WD50 or any of that type of product. CRC make one specifically for electronics....but only a little (say a drop or two) and very gently. Most of these products are in a pressure pack can, so do not spray away and drown it.

I am also under the impression that SDHC cards are different to SD cards and not backward compatible in certain situations.