Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2008, 02:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

I have a dilemma...

I inheritied my father's old Pentax Model S1 (I think that's the model) along with three lenses, a 2X teleconverter, and several filters. The lenses are in excellent shape. I currently own a Canon Powershot S1 IS that I have outgrown, and so I am in the market for a DSLR. I really was leaning hard for a Canon XTI, as I am familiar with the Canon setups, but after doing some research AND contacting Pentax, I found out that with an adapter, my father's lenses can be used, albeit only manually. So, it seems like the equivalent to the XTI is the K200D. Have any of you used old glass on the new digitals, and is it worth it? How does the K200D compare to the XTI? Thanks bunches. Oh, and eventually I want to get involved with macro, so does the 100mm macro do macrophotography justice?

Elizabeth

05-26-2008, 03:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In many ways, lenses from the MF era are actually better than newer ones. From an optical and build quality point of view, Takumars (which I presume you have, since you never specified the lens models) are about as good as you can get for any money.

The K200D differs from the Canon in that it works with AA batteries (cheap and plentiful, also usable with Ni-MH rechargeables and lithium batteries), it has weather sealing, a bigger, brighter viewfinder and more customization options.

I use old glass on a K100D and I couldn't be more satisfied.
05-26-2008, 04:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lots of us use old glass on our modern digital SLRs. I've taken many thousands of photos on my K100D using Takumar (what you have) lenses.

Care to see a few? Flickr set of Takumar photos
05-26-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drevilsmom Quote
I inheritied my father's old Pentax Model S1 (I think that's the model) along with three lenses, a 2X teleconverter, and several filters. The lenses are in excellent shape. I currently own a Canon Powershot S1 IS that I have outgrown, and so I am in the market for a DSLR. I really was leaning hard for a Canon XTI, as I am familiar with the Canon setups, but after doing some research AND contacting Pentax, I found out that with an adapter, my father's lenses can be used, albeit only manually. So, it seems like the equivalent to the XTI is the K200D. Have any of you used old glass on the new digitals, and is it worth it? How does the K200D compare to the XTI? Thanks bunches. Oh, and eventually I want to get involved with macro, so does the 100mm macro do macrophotography justice?

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

There are many on the forum who use screw mounts lenses and love them. Personaly, I don't onw any but I do own 8 Manual focus K mount lenses, 7 primes and 1 zoom.

The only things I would caution you about are the following.

- You should consider getting a split image focusing screen to assist in manual focus. Some people comment they find focusing difficult, although that has never been an issue with me.

- metering can sometimes be a little inconsistent with the older lenses, requiring you to take your time, check the histograms, and perhaps do some "characterization tests", to understand how each lens meters with the camera you select.

- with screw mount lenses, you would focus with the lens wide open, and then manually stop the lens down before shooting and set your exposure. Stopping down before focusing is not recommended because the fiewfinder will get dark.

The big advantage you will have is that you already have some lenses, and can play a little to find out what kind of photography interests you the most, without having to go out and get a whole bunch of lenses rioght away.

If you decide pentax (and we all hope you do) then you should go for a lens that compliments those you already have access to. i.e. is wider than what you already have.

05-26-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
In many ways, lenses from the MF era are actually better than newer ones. From an optical and build quality point of view, Takumars (which I presume you have, since you never specified the lens models) are about as good as you can get for any money.

The K200D differs from the Canon in that it works with AA batteries (cheap and plentiful, also usable with Ni-MH rechargeables and lithium batteries), it has weather sealing, a bigger, brighter viewfinder and more customization options.

I use old glass on a K100D and I couldn't be more satisfied.
Good to know!! The body also seems cheaper than the Canon as well. The only SLR I ever played with was a K1000, and that's been about 10 years ago. I didn't even know my Dad had this until just a few months ago. I was pleasantly surprised. He had stopped taking photos in the early 80's, and then put the camera away. All the lenses were stored properly. He bought them brand new in the 70's. The lenses are Takumar 35mm/ f 3.5, Takumar 135mm/ f 3.5, Takumar 55mm/ f 2.2, and a Soligor 2X teleconverter. I think I read the designations on the lenses correctly, but Mom said that Dad had a decent array.

Last edited by drevilsmom; 05-26-2008 at 08:53 AM.
05-26-2008, 06:54 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Elizabeth

There are many on the forum who use screw mounts lenses and love them. Personaly, I don't onw any but I do own 8 Manual focus K mount lenses, 7 primes and 1 zoom.

The only things I would caution you about are the following.

- You should consider getting a split image focusing screen to assist in manual focus. Some people comment they find focusing difficult, although that has never been an issue with me.

- metering can sometimes be a little inconsistent with the older lenses, requiring you to take your time, check the histograms, and perhaps do some "characterization tests", to understand how each lens meters with the camera you select.

- with screw mount lenses, you would focus with the lens wide open, and then manually stop the lens down before shooting and set your exposure. Stopping down before focusing is not recommended because the fiewfinder will get dark.

The big advantage you will have is that you already have some lenses, and can play a little to find out what kind of photography interests you the most, without having to go out and get a whole bunch of lenses rioght away.

If you decide pentax (and we all hope you do) then you should go for a lens that compliments those you already have access to. i.e. is wider than what you already have.
Your information is great. I already have to manipulate my poor S1 IS to get it to do what I want in manual mode. I don't have problems with focusing things, because I look through microscopes on a very regular basis at work. (I probably spend an hour each day looking through one.) I already look at my histograms and know how to read them, but I'll definitely scrutinize them even more now. As for the focusing issue, it seems like a minor inconvenience. The lenses are a plus, too, because that can be the expensive part. I haven't looked yet, but I'm hoping that there are as many accessories as there are for Canon's, especially things like ring flashes and extension tubes.

I know that I am interested in Macro, especially insects. I get so frustrated with my S1 IS and its 3.2 MP. I don't think I do half bad, though, considering my constraints.

Northern black widow:

Click beetle:

An iris:

My Dr. Evil:

For insects that are fairly small (which is most) I have to crop down by as much as 200%. Very frustrating as all of them get fuzzy and blurry. I really wanted to take some pictures of a spider mite, so I got my binoculars and put them against my lens backwards. Fairly blurry, but I got a close shot!

I don't mind playing until I get what I want!!