Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Purchase Question

I was wondering what would be the best way to go.
I can get a used K10D for under 400 dollars. and with the new rebates I can get the K200D for around 550 dollars. These are Body only purchases. and I was wondering what would be the best way to go since the both have the same sensor.

05-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

IMO, if it is used k10d vs new k200d, I would go for the k200d. If new vs. new, I would go for the k10d because of the pentaprism, and the 2nd wheel.
05-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume you intend to keep the K100 in your signature line?

If so, I would get the K200 because of similarities in controls.

That may seem like a small consideration, but if you want to switch seemlessly back and forth between cameras, why not?

While the K10D is probably the better camera, I would be very leery of a used one, and the shutter count
05-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi Fl_Gulfer

Re your quandary:

QuoteQuote:
I was wondering what would be the best way to go since they both have the same sensor.
Pricing issues aside, much of the decision-making process comes down to ergonomics and how each camera body feels in your hand. Despite certain technical similarities, the K200D and K10D are entirely different animals but having used both models, I personally came down in favour of the K10D. The reasons were varied and numerous, but the provision of a second E-dial on the K10D (the importance of which simply can't be underestimated) and the inclusion of a genuine pentaprism that is visibly brighter than the inferior pentamirror design in the K200D were but two of them ! As the others have already said, much depends on the condition of the s/h K10D and also the number of shutter-actuations that have taken place. Anyhow, I hope this info helps somewhat ?

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 05-26-2008 at 12:03 PM.
05-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Forum Member

Depends on your needs/likes. Performance wise they are very close....about dead even in RAW with an advantage going to the K200D in high ISO and "out of the camera" jpg's.

K200D has the different "shooting modes" (sports, landscape, portrait...etc..) right on the dial; which can be very helpful to the beginner....hell they can be handy even if you know what you're doing. 2.7" LCD screen vs. 2.5". Smaller size and runs on AA's; which in todays day and age of Eneloop batteries and Lithium AA's plus being able to use Alkalines in a pinch is an advantage.

K10D (as mentioned above) has the dual wheels and the better viewfinder. It is geared more towards the experienced shooter.

For $400 (if it's in great shape) I would go for the K10.

I was looking at New vs. New and went with K200 (once the rebate came out).
05-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I'm still learning about dSLR and Pentax. I just purchased the K200D and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival!!

Just to let you know, check Amazon and I think you can pick up the kit for $674.99 shipped. After rebate that should make it $574.99

Amazon.com: Pentax K200D 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens: Electronics and on the upper right click on DBROTH to add to cart. You can also get it for $662.03 directly from amazon but I figured the extra $12.96 was totally worth it to have the camera arrive 3 - 4 weeks earlier.