Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As long as Pentax camera's can only take images (stills and moving) I really don't mind the interface. I guess having it easy and straigthforward makes it userfriendly.

So does it need to change? Well changing to an android-based interfase would be great and futureproof.

01-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter

As long are easy to use, i dont really care the UI, my k30 give me the info i need, maybe another fonts or highres graphic, but prefer better LCD for preview
01-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
The problem is that even if we like the look of it Pentax won't sell any cameras if the stores won't carry the brand due to the look of the UI, even if it's illogical.

Interesting and somewhat unsettling thought, considering the seemingly declining presence of Pentax in brick-and-mortar shops over here in Germany. Living in the rather rural Lower Rhine region, I would have to travel 34 kilometres for the next reasonably competent store carrying the brand, which, for German circumstances, is pretty far ...

Two assistants at a local big-chain electronics retailer independently claimed near-unsellability of Pentax DSLRs, though without specific reference to their UI.
01-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax user interface is easy to use. What's not to like!

01-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
First thought of starting this as a satire thread. As it concerns a matter that is very likely of little consequence to real-world shooting.

It's just that I keep coming across gripes about Pentax's supposedly "dated-looking" user interface and/or menus in professional reviews of Pentax cameras like the K-50, K-3, and 645Z.

Here are two recent examples from UK-based techradar.com:

"Comparing the K-50's user interface with the Nikon and Canon equivalents leaves it looking a little dated." (K-50 review)

"The menu also looks very dated." (645Z)

Personally, I have taken to Pentax's UI design since I unboxed my K-7 back in 2009 - for its straightforwardness, readability, lack of pretension, tool-likeness, and (possibly) slight idiosyncrasy - and that hasn't changed one iota with the K-3.

But there may be other opinions. Is there any need for a revamp? Does it still do its job? Is it likely to put off possible Pentax buyers?
Of course it's dated. It is clean simple easy to use, intuitive, and it works.

The reason it looks dated is because canikons are still struggling with useless ones that keep changing, so compared to the latest iteration of useless junk, yes it looks dated

That is not, however a Eason to change
01-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
No need for a revision. Still one of the most user friendly and useful menus around. I think reviewers would serve the community better to focus on function of the menus over their apparent superficial focus on form.
Toally agree with above.

If they did introduce a touch screen, it would just be an additional user interface, more than likely taking over some of the controls from the Function screen and shortcut body buttons....unfortunately.
01-04-2015, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter

The UI is fine as it is.
01-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Functionally, I agree there is nothing major about the UI that needs "fixing". That's not to say that it can't be improved, and every digital Pentax I've owned has had a similar, but slightly different, UI. Obviously, as features are added there will be changes.

Nonetheless, even blind Freddy can see that the styling of the UI is very basic - even the choice of font and background colouring reminds me of MS-DOS. I'm sure there are people here who are sentimentally attached to that style, but having spent a substantial part of my career battling the idiosyncrasies of that OS, I don't really want to be reminded of it every time I look at my camera menus.

So, is the styling functional? Yes, of course it is. Is it optimised for reading in all sorts of lighting conditions, not to mention user sight-ability? Probably not. Is it appealing to first-time users? Probably not. Can it be readily amended, preferably to suit the user's requirements and/or taste? Probably, and if so, why wouldn't you? It's easy for border-line Aspies like me to dismiss such a change as frivolous, but tell me why things like colour and styling are the main attributes that sell motorcars, within price brackets.

01-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
its because everyone is used to touchscreens nowadays. I prefer the pentax ui and wheels. there's less to go kaput!
QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote
If they did introduce a touch screen, it would just be an additional user interface, more than likely taking over some of the controls from the Function screen and shortcut body buttons....unfortunately.

My sentiments exactly. Recently one of the two expensive photocopiers at work broke down ... yeah, you guessed it, because of a failing touch screen! Even when they do work, it takes some practice to tap exactly the right places, and the constant smearing remains a nuissance.

Yet, for a camera brand to survive, you need to sell cameras, and not only to those geeks and no-bullshit photographers who dig them. Much as I cringed when I took a KS-1 in my hands at Photokina last autumn - I had to be careful not to drop it because I missed the deep grip of my K-3, nor did I like the loud shutter sound - I did get the impression that it generated a fair amount of curiosity among young female visitors. Maybe having two product lines - the more traditional, serious-looking, trusty-tool K line and the fresher-looking KS line to appeal to a new generation of buyers - actually makes sense ...

Frustratingly, Pentax always seems to get the rap, being depicted as dinosaur when offering traditional DSLRs and ridiculed when trying to be more colourful and flashy ...

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Functionally, I agree there is nothing major about the UI that needs "fixing". That's not to say that it can't be improved, and every digital Pentax I've owned has had a similar, but slightly different, UI. Obviously, as features are added there will be changes.

Nonetheless, even blind Freddy can see that the styling of the UI is very basic - even the choice of font and background colouring reminds me of MS-DOS. I'm sure there are people here who are sentimentally attached to that style, but having spent a substantial part of my career battling the idiosyncrasies of that OS, I don't really want to be reminded of it every time I look at my camera menus.

So, is the styling functional? Yes, of course it is. Is it optimised for reading in all sorts of lighting conditions, not to mention user sight-ability? Probably not. Is it appealing to first-time users? Probably not. Can it be readily amended, preferably to suit the user's requirements and/or taste? Probably, and if so, why wouldn't you? It's easy for border-line Aspies like me to dismiss such a change as frivolous, but tell me why things like colour and styling are the main attributes that sell motorcars, within price brackets.

Makes a lot of sense to me. So, form follows function should remain the focus for future iterations, and openness to meaningful improvements, rather than minimalism as an end in itself?

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 01-04-2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: reacting to another comment without wanting new post
01-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #25
Pentaxian

The K-S1 has an updated UI. Of course mentioning that will get the Not-For-Me-So-Not-For-Anyone crowd frothing at the mouth. Some of the reviews are favorable, I haven't seen anything overly negative. Same could be said from the posts by the few owners of the K-S1 and other Pentax DSLRs in the K-S1 sections.
01-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #26
Site Supporter

I don't think it's dated at all and I have used all types of Non-Pentax cameras to know the difference. Other than Panasonic, it is one of the easiest most intuitive User Interfaces I have ever used. "Panasonic" believe it or not, has a very friendly UI on their point-and-shoot camera to the point where you don't even need to read the manual.

I take these reviews with a grain of salt. Often the reviewer tries to force the manufacturer's hand into offering the latest bell and whistle when it is truly not needed. I have read reviews where things like, does not have Wi-Fi, does not have swivel-LCD, does not cook your breakfast in the morning, or tie your shoes. This gets silly.

Pentax would be wise to just leave well enough alone, because most Pentax users of the K-series would not like to go through any major changes when they upgrade to a new model. I certainly would not want a new UI that would get in my way of taking pictures, not to say that there shouldn't be any improvements to the current system. .

Last edited by hjoseph7; 01-04-2015 at 04:44 PM.
01-04-2015, 04:24 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think the display could be considered dated, as mentioned by others above, it could easily be given a birthday whilst maintaining the same structure/layout. That's not that hard, and not something to get all put out by either.

One of the rather hidden things in the newer menus is the ability to change the interface colours. Some of the grey options in there look quite pro in comparison to the bold colours of others for instance. There are quite a few options available, but they could be a bit higher res to match the screen, which would mean more rounded edges etc. I'd need to go back and check but from memory the main settings screen is quite high res, but some of the txt on the menu options is a bit more chunky?

Also I was surprised at how much I didn't miss the top LCD screen on the K-30. The rear screen gives all the same information and larger and clearer for me, and I find it just as easy to look down onto it and tilt the camera forward as I did with the top LCD on the K100d for instance.

You won't find Pentax in any major chain store in New Zealand also, they're essentially non existent here. I took a photo of a tourist with a colourful Pentax over summer as it was the first one I'd seen in a very long time.
As much as we are sold on Pentax, they just aren't progressing in the stores, and I personally don't think the interface is the sole/root reason of this.
Even when they compare well in magazine reviews etc they are still never the recommended option/winner, and new buyers do tend to take the advise of these publications.
01-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The K-S1 has an updated UI. Of course mentioning that will get the Not-For-Me-So-Not-For-Anyone crowd frothing at the mouth. Some of the reviews are favorable, I haven't seen anything overly negative. Same could be said from the posts by the few owners of the K-S1 and other Pentax DSLRs in the K-S1 sections.
Yeah, nothing negative...

The Best and Worst Cameras and Lenses of 2014, According to The Camera Store
01-04-2015, 05:09 PM   #29
Pentaxian

With all DSLRs on the market capable of producing similar high levels of quality these days, well designed UIs are a way to differentiate products. I felt that the interface of the K-3 was a notable step down from previous Pentax DSLRs I had owned. It was a strong weakness in a good camera. It just feels like Ricoh chose to put effort into other aspects of the camera for better or worse.

I thought Canon UIs were terrible until the original 7D was released. Things changed for the better with a valuable level of configurability. My Canon 5Dmk3 )and even my 6 year old 7D) info menu is much more useful and efficient. And the graphic elements--typeface, layout of info, sequencing, and especially AF controls are excellent.
The biggest UI problem with Canon bodies is the thumb wheel. It seems like they are providing alternatives by including the new AF area thumb switch on the 7D mk2, and I expect this to be a new standard.

So to answer your question (and I assume you were being on the level), yes the Pentax UI needs a major revision.

M
01-04-2015, 05:21 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In a tactile world of smartphones and tablets, yes, the Pentax UI is "dated". It looks like a UI designed by engineers for technically minded people. Everything is logically structured. It's intuitive to those who are willing to dig around and customize. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It just means that the UI is targeting a different crowd than something "updated" like the Android driven menu system in a new Samsung camera.

Changing the UI is easier said than done. The screen size doesn't offer a lot of real estate and at the moment it's not touch sensitive. If Pentax were to change the UI then they have to be changing it for a reason - to accomplish something old in a better way or something new that has never been done before. Doing something for the sake of itself is just a strange fetish.

So, is it dated? Sure. So is my kitchen set but that doesn't stop me from enjoying my meals.