Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Camera makers have to balance "easy for newcomers" with "powerful and quick for experts".

I wish my K-5 info button menu could be customized. That menu screen has many items I never use and I would love to pull some of the things buried in the custom menus onto the info menu.

01-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Camera makers have to balance "easy for newcomers" with "powerful and quick for experts".

I wish my K-5 info button menu could be customized. That menu screen has many items I never use and I would love to pull some of the things buried in the custom menus onto the info menu.
That would be a nice feature.
01-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sony do that from memory, you have a menu that you get to fill up yourself with the bits you like from all over the place.

I think there are 3 or so levels here:

1) give what's there a graphical birthday
2) redesign what's there
3) include touchscreen options

And into this could be options for custom menus and/or beginner/intermediate/expert levels that modify the menu content options accordingly.
01-04-2015, 06:08 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Here are two recent examples from UK-based techradar.com:

"Comparing the K-50's user interface with the Nikon and Canon equivalents leaves it looking a little dated." (K-50 review)

"The menu also looks very dated." (645Z)
Hard to take that criticism seriously from a website with a busy, quasi-facebook appearance and which
throws pop-ups in your face every 10 seconds. By comparison, Pentax UI is High Art.

01-04-2015, 07:39 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

The menu on my K10d is dated. That might be because it was designed in 2006 ... but I can understand the menus on my wife's X-5 because they are very similar. Pages and lines, pages and lines. Fancy doesn't help take pictures.
01-05-2015, 05:46 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Yes, the UI is dated by any definition, whether you think it is dated simply because the design hasn't been changed in a while, or if you mean the design doesn't follow modern trends that hides everything behind 14 clicks in order to make it look simple while being harder to use.

I like the way the Pentax UI works. It certainly has room for improvement. But the design aesthetics don't bother me.

If Pentax wanted to look more modern, they don't necessarily need to change the function to update the look. Simply getting rid of the beveled edge 3D effect and the skeuomorphic "button" design would make it look more 2015.
01-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote

If Pentax wanted to look more modern, they don't necessarily need to change the function to update the look. Simply getting rid of the beveled edge 3D effect and the skeuomorphic "button" design would make it look more 2015.

Exactly.
01-15-2015, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #38

As someone new to Pentax who is also a longtime Nikon shooter with some Canon mixed in as well, I would say, yes, the menu system comes across as dated. As someone above mentioned, it really is fairly old school computer-y looking with a basic monotype font that is pretty characterless. It's not the end of the world or something that would put me off from buying the camera (K5IIs in my case), but it'd be nice if the menu looked like it had as much effort put into it as the actual physical build of the camera, which is excellent.

Regarding functionality, well, it is reasonably simple and easy to navigate, and I had no problems in setting up my camera, but it could use a bit of polishing. Case in point, the Custom Settings menu. First time I hit that tab I had a plethora of settings presented to me and with no direct indication of what option was chosen for each setting other than a number, which told me nothing unless I actually selected the setting and looked at what the options are. In contrast, Nikon's Custom Settings menu shows all the settings with a direct indicator/icon showing what option was selected for each setting. Thus, if I want to skim the settings to double-check something or make a change, I only have to scroll through the menu once to know what every setting is at. It's very efficient due to requiring minimum effort to gain maximum information and the rest of Nikon's menus are pretty much the same.

Talking about Nikon menus, since a few have mentioned them earlier, I think one of the big things that makes them a bit overwhelming for people is that they don't work off of tabs so much as they prefer scrolling. You only have a few global tabs like Shooting, Playback, General, etc. and then instead of sub tabs like Canon and Pentax, they just have one scrolling menu. If you don't realize that then it can be easy to miss a setting because you didn't see it because you didn't scroll down to it. They also can be a bit much because Nikon tends to allow a lot more customization on their bodies (mid-level and up particulalry so) than their competitors. Features like being able to fine tune the meter globally and apart from any EC adjustments add complexity and options to the menus that can be a bit overwhelming I think for first time users. Canon has far less of that flexibility, and Pentax seems right in between and leaning more to being very Nikon like. So better, or worse? YMMV, but experience definitely is a factor. I've been shooting Nikon primarily for over 6 years and I don't even think about the menus at this point. Prior to the K5 I also picked up a D7100 and I've yet to read the manual. I turned it on, made a quick run through the menus to set it up, and been shooting with it ever since. Works just like my D3 for the most part, so I already knew what the menus meant.

And I'm not saying Nikon is perfect, no, but I think sometimes when people complain about menus and things on other mfg's goods, they tend to overly discount unfamiliarity and equate it with being poor design when in fact it's just new to them adn requires some time and effort. I mean, Pentax feels odd to me in a number of ways compared to my Nikons, but I don't think it sucks or anything, I just have to learn it and become familiar. I like the K5IIs a lot so far and was happy to get it at such a deal. If it pans out like I think it will, it'll end up being the perfect compact second system for me, which is why I had my eye on it for so long up to now.

01-16-2015, 01:09 AM   #39

It does look like it was designed back when Windows 3.0 was considered cutting edge, but functionally it is first rate. Don't believe it? Try Olympus - looks snazzy but it is terribly confused and confusing.

Anyway, I would expect cameras in the futire to increasingly incorporate a proper os like android or linux. With that and a html rendering engine under the hood, users will be able to customize the UI to their heart's content by simply altering the style sheet. Gear head heaven!
01-16-2015, 02:32 AM   #40
Site Supporter

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Do I need to say that again?

I went from MX to K100DS and then to K3. The DSLR jump took a bit to get used to. Then the K3 was fairly easy top get to know - in some ways it seemed to combine the interfaces of the earlier two. And all the knowledge from the past was easy to apply.
01-16-2015, 03:37 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Do I need to say that again?
No, you don't. I'm pretty sure everyone here agrees that the UI is VERY MUCH FUNCTIONAL. What some of us think should be updated is the VISUAL DESIGN, NOT THE MECHANICS.
01-16-2015, 03:50 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Exactly, give it a lick of 2015 paint to spruce it up, but fundamentally most of it works just fine.
01-16-2015, 06:41 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax user interface is one of the reasons I ditched my Nikons.
01-16-2015, 07:34 AM   #44
Pentaxian

It looks fine to me. It's very easy to navigate and well set out. I'm always surprised when reviews say it needs to be updated - I see no reason to do so.
01-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Yea, but... I wouldn't care too much about their opinion to be honest. They are just a camera store with an opinion. And their reasoning to call it the worst camera is just dumb. Just because you don't like the camera or you don't know about it, doesn't mean is not a good camera and cannot perform. Plus, the camera was recently released (more or less) so it didn't had the time to be well known to begin with.

On the topic of the UI...
I think is a very well sorted UI and I always liked it!
It could always benefit from a nice visual lift-up (like a lot of other things in our life)... but that doesn't makes it a bad thing.