Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-5IIs W/grip vs K-3 w/o: Self-Discovery

I really hate to admit it but I was wrong! So wrong to the point where I'd rather pickup my K-5iis before I'd pickup my K-3 I'd rather shoot with. All because of a grip I swore last summer that I would never need.

Spring last year I happened to buy my K-3 during the only month of the year you couldn't get a free grip with the camera from B&H or Adorama, and was too cheap to purchase one. "So like a good hater," I participated in a thread stating that I thought grips were overrated. (Honestly I was mainly trying to convince myself I could live without one) But truthfully up to that point, the only DSLR I'd used was my old K30. Then in November I bought my K-5IIs with a free grip and the time has come to say, "I have seen the light!"
You see, my K-3 is my Baby, my #1 and I actually like it more than my 4x5. But having large hands, the grip on my K-5iis feels so right and snug that now I sometimes catch myself pausing a minute to consider which body do I really want to shoot with. I'll pick the K-5iis and start shooting to only set it down a few minutes later in preference of my K-3. And it's only happening more often. Button layout aside, the K-5iis seems like it was built just for me but, I really prefer the way my K-3 operates. I've played with it so much that it seems like it's becoming an extension of my mind and I can't force myself to really get use to the K-5iis. Sometimes I wonder if I should start leaving my K-3 behind making myself get use to it. It"s perfectly good, no need to get rid of it. Not a real problem, just frustrating.

Anyway, I'll be ordering a d-bg5 Friday and only want cameras with grips for now on if possible.

So my apologies, I stand corrected. From now on I won't knock what I haven't tried and try to keep an open mind.

01-04-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm with you. No grip really is far less functional for me.
01-04-2015, 09:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

My hand actually hurts, and badly, within a few minutes of handholding without the grip if I'm using anything heavier than a smallish prime. My pinky finger starts to radiate pain through my whole hand. It's quite unpleasant. So glad the price on the K3 came down so far and included the grip for free. One of the main reasons I didn't buy it a year ago was that I knew I'd have to put out the extra cash for the grip (and a third party one wouldn't do because I wouldn't want to compromise the WR).
01-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #4
Closed Account

The good news is that those grips seem to always be for sale in the Marketplace, so there could be a few bucks to be saved

01-04-2015, 10:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
It's quite unpleasant.
That right there!
It's sad I never realized how much until after experiencing a grip.
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
No grip really is far less functional for me.
Amen!
01-04-2015, 10:45 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I have to agree. Three decades shooting SLR/DSLR, and its only in the last few months that I have started using a grip. No turning back now...
01-04-2015, 11:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Grips used to be heavy things with motors as I recall. I tried one with one of my Pentax SLR bodies and it didn't stay long. New grips with batteries do seem less troubling - but for me every cc counts so it stays home. Ask me again in a year though, just in case

01-04-2015, 11:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I didn't need a grip until I started shooting events that were 80%+ portrait orientation. After the first such event I immediately and happily paid for what I previously considered the "overpriced" genuine Pentax BG for my K-5/K-5 IIs! My arms just got too tired without it!

Last edited by DSims; 01-05-2015 at 12:05 AM.
01-05-2015, 12:01 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Right! Thats it, I don't even want to see a grip, let alone try one!
They add bulk and weight and make the camera look really ugly. Probably made by the devil himself / herself (don't want to be sexist either).

I am covering my eyes - I don't need ABA because LBA is bad enough.
01-05-2015, 12:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
One of the main reasons I didn't buy it a year ago was that I knew I'd have to put out the extra cash for the grip (and a third party one wouldn't do because I wouldn't want to compromise the WR).
I think the risk from not having WR on the grip is rather minimal - the whole body is still sealed. Only the contacts on the bottom of the body could be exposed, and only if there was a lot of water that got in there. I have 1 genuine grip and 1 third-party. I think each is worth what I paid for it. It's much better to have the 3rd party grip than no grip at all. It's main drawback is that the buttons feel a little cheaper, not the lack of WR. Mine's an exact clone copy - so close that I can swap the battery trays between them, and they still work.
01-05-2015, 12:09 AM   #11
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought my K-3 specifically without a grip but the seller included it anyway since he couldn't find the USB cable to the camera

I have tested that it works, but for my kind of shooting it hasn't made sense to use it.

I have no plans to rid myself of it, though.
01-05-2015, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like my K7 and K5IIs without the grip, I have enough big bulky cameras at work.

My K3 is also sans grip at the moment. Ever since they removed the extra SD card and IR remote control slot from the K10D grip, I simply stopped buying them.
01-05-2015, 01:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
I really hate to admit it but I was wrong! So wrong to the point where I'd rather pickup my K-5iis before I'd pickup my K-3 I'd rather shoot with. All because of a grip I swore last summer that I would never need.

Spring last year I happened to buy my K-3 during the only month of the year you couldn't get a free grip with the camera from B&H or Adorama, and was too cheap to purchase one. "So like a good hater," I participated in a thread stating that I thought grips were overrated. (Honestly I was mainly trying to convince myself I could live without one) But truthfully up to that point, the only DSLR I'd used was my old K30. Then in November I bought my K-5IIs with a free grip and the time has come to say, "I have seen the light!"
You see, my K-3 is my Baby, my #1 and I actually like it more than my 4x5. But having large hands, the grip on my K-5iis feels so right and snug that now I sometimes catch myself pausing a minute to consider which body do I really want to shoot with. I'll pick the K-5iis and start shooting to only set it down a few minutes later in preference of my K-3. And it's only happening more often. Button layout aside, the K-5iis seems like it was built just for me but, I really prefer the way my K-3 operates. I've played with it so much that it seems like it's becoming an extension of my mind and I can't force myself to really get use to the K-5iis. Sometimes I wonder if I should start leaving my K-3 behind making myself get use to it. It"s perfectly good, no need to get rid of it. Not a real problem, just frustrating.

Anyway, I'll be ordering a d-bg5 Friday and only want cameras with grips for now on if possible.

So my apologies, I stand corrected. From now on I won't knock what I haven't tried and try to keep an open mind.
I have large hands and stopped using both LX's when their winder's broke. Holding a Tokina 70-200 2.8 with my right pinkie wrapped under the body was too much.
01-05-2015, 03:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I like my K7 and K5IIs without the grip, I have enough big bulky cameras at work.

My K3 is also sans grip at the moment. Ever since they removed the extra SD card and IR remote control slot from the K10D grip, I simply stopped buying them.
that is an esthetically pleasing image :P

#edit. Big cameras do suck.

Although I confess to throwing a grip on when the lens gets longer than 200mm
01-05-2015, 03:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

They have an extra SD card storage slot in the D-BG4 & 5, but neither has room for a remote. I've had that extra SD card save me once or twice.