Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
Senior Member
Trudger1272's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Photos: Albums
Posts: 288
K-5IIs W/grip vs K-3 w/o: Self-Discovery

I really hate to admit it but I was wrong! So wrong to the point where I'd rather pickup my K-5iis before I'd pickup my K-3 I'd rather shoot with. All because of a grip I swore last summer that I would never need.

Spring last year I happened to buy my K-3 during the only month of the year you couldn't get a free grip with the camera from B&H or Adorama, and was too cheap to purchase one. "So like a good hater," I participated in a thread stating that I thought grips were overrated. (Honestly I was mainly trying to convince myself I could live without one) But truthfully up to that point, the only DSLR I'd used was my old K30. Then in November I bought my K-5IIs with a free grip and the time has come to say, "I have seen the light!"
You see, my K-3 is my Baby, my #1 and I actually like it more than my 4x5. But having large hands, the grip on my K-5iis feels so right and snug that now I sometimes catch myself pausing a minute to consider which body do I really want to shoot with. I'll pick the K-5iis and start shooting to only set it down a few minutes later in preference of my K-3. And it's only happening more often. Button layout aside, the K-5iis seems like it was built just for me but, I really prefer the way my K-3 operates. I've played with it so much that it seems like it's becoming an extension of my mind and I can't force myself to really get use to the K-5iis. Sometimes I wonder if I should start leaving my K-3 behind making myself get use to it. It"s perfectly good, no need to get rid of it. Not a real problem, just frustrating.

Anyway, I'll be ordering a d-bg5 Friday and only want cameras with grips for now on if possible.

So my apologies, I stand corrected. From now on I won't knock what I haven't tried and try to keep an open mind.

01-04-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
I'm with you. No grip really is far less functional for me.
01-04-2015, 09:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,935
My hand actually hurts, and badly, within a few minutes of handholding without the grip if I'm using anything heavier than a smallish prime. My pinky finger starts to radiate pain through my whole hand. It's quite unpleasant. So glad the price on the K3 came down so far and included the grip for free. One of the main reasons I didn't buy it a year ago was that I knew I'd have to put out the extra cash for the grip (and a third party one wouldn't do because I wouldn't want to compromise the WR).
01-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian
esrandall's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Sumner, WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 964
The good news is that those grips seem to always be for sale in the Marketplace, so there could be a few bucks to be saved

01-04-2015, 10:07 PM   #5
Senior Member
Trudger1272's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Photos: Albums
Posts: 288
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
It's quite unpleasant.
That right there!
It's sad I never realized how much until after experiencing a grip.
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
No grip really is far less functional for me.
Amen!
01-04-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16
I have to agree. Three decades shooting SLR/DSLR, and its only in the last few months that I have started using a grip. No turning back now...
01-04-2015, 11:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,480
Grips used to be heavy things with motors as I recall. I tried one with one of my Pentax SLR bodies and it didn't stay long. New grips with batteries do seem less troubling - but for me every cc counts so it stays home. Ask me again in a year though, just in case
01-04-2015, 11:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
I didn't need a grip until I started shooting events that were 80%+ portrait orientation. After the first such event I immediately and happily paid for what I previously considered the "overpriced" genuine Pentax BG for my K-5/K-5 IIs! My arms just got too tired without it!


Last edited by DSims; 01-05-2015 at 12:05 AM.
01-05-2015, 12:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter
kiwi_jono's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,035
Right! Thats it, I don't even want to see a grip, let alone try one!
They add bulk and weight and make the camera look really ugly. Probably made by the devil himself / herself (don't want to be sexist either).

I am covering my eyes - I don't need ABA because LBA is bad enough.
01-05-2015, 12:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
One of the main reasons I didn't buy it a year ago was that I knew I'd have to put out the extra cash for the grip (and a third party one wouldn't do because I wouldn't want to compromise the WR).
I think the risk from not having WR on the grip is rather minimal - the whole body is still sealed. Only the contacts on the bottom of the body could be exposed, and only if there was a lot of water that got in there. I have 1 genuine grip and 1 third-party. I think each is worth what I paid for it. It's much better to have the 3rd party grip than no grip at all. It's main drawback is that the buttons feel a little cheaper, not the lack of WR. Mine's an exact clone copy - so close that I can swap the battery trays between them, and they still work.
01-05-2015, 12:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,721
I bought my K-3 specifically without a grip but the seller included it anyway since he couldn't find the USB cable to the camera

I have tested that it works, but for my kind of shooting it hasn't made sense to use it.

I have no plans to rid myself of it, though.
01-05-2015, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,535
I like my K7 and K5IIs without the grip, I have enough big bulky cameras at work.



My K3 is also sans grip at the moment. Ever since they removed the extra SD card and IR remote control slot from the K10D grip, I simply stopped buying them.
01-05-2015, 01:34 AM   #13
Pentaxian
tabl10s's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sacramento(formerly from B'Ham, England).
Posts: 1,378
QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
I really hate to admit it but I was wrong! So wrong to the point where I'd rather pickup my K-5iis before I'd pickup my K-3 I'd rather shoot with. All because of a grip I swore last summer that I would never need.

Spring last year I happened to buy my K-3 during the only month of the year you couldn't get a free grip with the camera from B&H or Adorama, and was too cheap to purchase one. "So like a good hater," I participated in a thread stating that I thought grips were overrated. (Honestly I was mainly trying to convince myself I could live without one) But truthfully up to that point, the only DSLR I'd used was my old K30. Then in November I bought my K-5IIs with a free grip and the time has come to say, "I have seen the light!"
You see, my K-3 is my Baby, my #1 and I actually like it more than my 4x5. But having large hands, the grip on my K-5iis feels so right and snug that now I sometimes catch myself pausing a minute to consider which body do I really want to shoot with. I'll pick the K-5iis and start shooting to only set it down a few minutes later in preference of my K-3. And it's only happening more often. Button layout aside, the K-5iis seems like it was built just for me but, I really prefer the way my K-3 operates. I've played with it so much that it seems like it's becoming an extension of my mind and I can't force myself to really get use to the K-5iis. Sometimes I wonder if I should start leaving my K-3 behind making myself get use to it. It"s perfectly good, no need to get rid of it. Not a real problem, just frustrating.

Anyway, I'll be ordering a d-bg5 Friday and only want cameras with grips for now on if possible.

So my apologies, I stand corrected. From now on I won't knock what I haven't tried and try to keep an open mind.
I have large hands and stopped using both LX's when their winder's broke. Holding a Tokina 70-200 2.8 with my right pinkie wrapped under the body was too much.
01-05-2015, 03:11 AM   #14
Pentaxian
tromboads's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbs
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,132
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I like my K7 and K5IIs without the grip, I have enough big bulky cameras at work.



My K3 is also sans grip at the moment. Ever since they removed the extra SD card and IR remote control slot from the K10D grip, I simply stopped buying them.
that is an esthetically pleasing image :P

#edit. Big cameras do suck.

Although I confess to throwing a grip on when the lens gets longer than 200mm
01-05-2015, 03:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I like my K7 and K5IIs without the grip, I have enough big bulky cameras at work.



My K3 is also sans grip at the moment. Ever since they removed the extra SD card and IR remote control slot from the K10D grip, I simply stopped buying them.
They have an extra SD card storage slot in the D-BG4 & 5, but neither has room for a remote. I've had that extra SD card save me once or twice.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
batteries, battery, body, camera, card, company, dslr, grip, grips, insert, k-3, k-5iis, k-5iis w/grip vs, party, pentax, photography, pickup, sd, sd card, space, stupid, w/grip vs k-3, water, weather, weight, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arca Swiss Quick Release Plate for K-3 w/grip HenrikDK Pentax K-3 7 07-19-2015 08:10 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K-5iis or K-3 (NEW w/2yr extended warranty and receipt) black-kx Sold Items 5 11-03-2014 05:57 PM
Pentax K-3 w/ FREE grip + 50mm lens is back! Adam Pentax Price Watch 88 04-03-2014 06:06 PM
The k-5IIs vs. K-3 wedding photography difference. nicoprod Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 02-13-2014 06:44 AM
K-3 w/grip - w/DA 50 1.8 - w/SDHC card - $1297 stormtech Pentax Price Watch 52 01-16-2014 06:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:43 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top