Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #1

K-r relevance today

Hi All,

I have a K-50 and wondering how relevant k-r is today as a backup camera ?

K-r doesn't seems to be outdated even as per today's standards. How much should i pay for used K-r in decent condition.

Thanks

01-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mmh, the problem with used K-r is that people often expect so much money for it, you would be better off just buying a used K-30.
Its an okay camera, was great bang for buck in its time, but the 12MP sensor is definitely not as good as the 16MP one. So I would say get it only if the price is good and the camera has no flaws. You can check completed ebay listings or marketplace here to get a general idea
01-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Cost-wise - save up a few more bucks than the K-r would go for and grab a beater K-5 or K-30 as Na Horuk suggests above. The higher ISO capabilities of either are worth the extra bucks.
01-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The last two K-r's sold in the marketplace sold for around $200 (body only + free shipping) and $220 + $13 shipping (body and DAL 18-55 lens). Neither For Sale thread listed the number of shutter counts on the cameras.

I purchased my K-r from the marketplace over two years ago and couldn't be happier. I paid a bit more than the most recent ones but prices on the newer camera releases were higher back then. If you find one with a lower shutter count (<10,000), there is no reason it wouldn't be a fine back-up body.

Tim

01-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Mmh, the problem with used K-r is that people often expect so much money for it
You are right.. I've seen this a lot. Totally unrealistic prices on some.
01-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I just recently used my brother's K-r again and it is a fine camera. But the single control dial might be annoying if you use both dials a lot on the K-50.

Used DSLR prices often stick at $200 for cameras with no issues.
01-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mars76 Quote
I still use an old K-x occasionally,
especially for those times when I need light, small, and cheap.

It (and its K-r successor) are among the few DSLRs
that can be held comfortably in one hand for shooting.
01-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi All,

K-r doesn't seems to be outdated even as per today's standards. How much should i pay for used K-r in decent condition.

Thanks
The K-50, K-30, or even K-500 are a much better value IMO, not only for the image quality, but also for the bigger viewfinder, dual control wheels, and more comfortable grip.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I paid $130, I think, for mine with an 18-55 kit lens last summer. That was a fair price then -- $60. One issue with K-r bodies is that they sometimes develop floppy shutter, rendering the camera nearly useless until it overcomes whatever issue had been plaguing it. If that happens to yours, as it did to mine, there is no real repair if it's a software issue. Sometimes it's a hardware issue, but I understand that's less common. Were it me, I would avoid a K-r body unless you use it solely for experiementatil (as I do with mine, having outfitted it with a PK+MM.
01-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Hi All,

Thanks
How much are you willing to spend on a backup body? I know your question is about the K-r but have you considered a K-01? It’s not exactly a direct backup being a mirrorless and no viewfinder (and other pros/cons that comes along with it) but it has the sensor of a K5 with the additional features of a K-50 (focus peaking), as well as great for video. I found myself using my K-01 more than the K5 lately and keep forgetting how good of a camera “the brick” is. They come up in the marketplace from time to time in the $200 - $250 range - Just a thought.
01-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I've got a K-3 but there have been some recent projects where I've been using my K-5 because the photos will only be used online and I don't need all of the K-3's megapickles. Now that you mention it, I may step back even further to my wife's K-x because 12 megapickles is more than enough for these projects.

The 12 megapickle sensor in the K-x/K-r is still quite nice and more than enough for all but the most light-challenged situations. Even now, Micro Four-Thirds cameras are just starting to match its exposure range and ISO. And I loved how organic and malleable the RAW files were compared to prior generations. If it can be had for a good price, the K-r would make a great backup/first DSLR.
01-07-2015, 05:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The K-01 is a great camera, especially as a compact backup (while keeping full K-mount compatibility!). Its so good, its prices actually went up since it was discontinued. I think you would have a hard time finding one for under $300.
Oh, K-x is nice, as well. Same sensor as K-r, but a little smaller. Still, a used K-30 (or even K-5) can be found for not that much more cost and will give you more. Unless of course you want to collect or a particular camera caught your eye! If you fancy the K-r, get it. With cameras, its often more important how it works with you, than what the spec sheet says.